GETcreative 2

1a2bcio8

I was unsure if this was going to happen this year or if something similar might be run by other individuals or groups. However, that doesn't seem to be the case and in the absence of anything else I wanted to make sure people have a video competition for the summer again. It seems to be a good stimulus for the development of people's riding and video making.

Anyway, please feel free to start a discussion on the competition's format. Specifically, if you feel something was lacking or inappropriate last year then we can discuss possible improvements. I want the competition, within reason, to be as democratic as possible. It is, after all, about your enjoyment.

I haven't really done much in the way of organizing prizes, sponsors, etc. I am in talks with at least one though and I suspect several of those from last year will be interested again. In this regard, it's been decided that shop sponsorship will be excluded from the competition so to allow sponsored riders from both sides of 'that' divide to be involved. Things also seem to have quietened down on that front and I don't want to aggravate it.

Not that is says anything more - in fact it says less - but here's a blog update:

http://glasseyetrialscreative.blogspot.co.uk

Edited by Ben Rowlands
  • Like 2

My only comment about changes would be how they are released. I felt like there was too long between first and last releases so just felt a bit like it wasn't really videos for the comp - just videos? I can't / haven't explained that well .

I think you should set up a YouTube/ Vimeo channel for the entries and have a one week upload / release period at the end of the filming time.

An explosion of videos head to head.

• Like 2

My only comment about changes would be how they are released. I felt like there was too long between first and last releases so just felt a bit like it wasn't really videos for the comp - just videos? I can't / haven't explained that well .

I think you should set up a YouTube/ Vimeo channel for the entries and have a one week upload / release period at the end of the filming time.

Good idea. It would a bit fairer that way

I think this is an excellent idea so unless there appears a good argument against it let's adopt it. Rowan, you need to get something sorted this time around. I'm happy to help you film, init :)

The only issue I do foresee is the limits imposed on uploads by Vimeo even with a purchased account. I suppose they could be uploaded but remain private though.

Does anyone have any ideas of ways to raise money or sponsorship for the 'pro' category as I cannot afford to contribute and this was the more difficult form of sponsorship to gain.

Edited by Ben Rowlands

You could try selling advertising in the videos? Create a really short into or outro video/ logo splash that you make available to download that people have to put in their videos? Combined YouTube/Vimeo hits for all the videos in the comp should be fairly attractive advertising?

The only issue I do foresee is the limits imposed on uploads by Vimeo even with a purchased account. I suppose they could be uploaded but remain private though.

Can't you just have a "channel" for GetCreative. I thought with a channel it was basically just publishing videos in one place after other people had uploaded them to vimeo.

I don't know if it works the same on youtube because youtube sucks.

I'm well up for this, was a bit gutted I couldn't sort an entry last year so I'm glad it's happening this year.

Just an idea, you could charge a small entry fee to generate some prize money.. Unless this would put people off? Novice money going to novice prize fund.

Are the "requirements for doing well" the same as last year?

If so, people need to actually think about their riding instead of going out and just filming. The idea (besides fun and winning cool stuff):

-was to think about your current riding style, find it's flaws and improve on them.

-do some trials in a quirky new way

-put some hard effort into filming, editing and riding. (tripod filmers were judged on choice of shot)

-do some trials in ways you hadn't done before. ie. do a line, or make that move harder for the sake of making it harder

-try a different style of riding you hadn't tried before

-some other stuff Ben will probably mention

Yeah the top contenders for winning were Inspired riders (even if they didn't make it onto the podium in the end), because they ticked the requirement boxes. I saw some great TGS from people and some great street, but it was nothing that i hadn't seen from THEMSELVES before. Regardless of your skill level it's possible to do well.

I judged the amateur category and it was hard! I could tell who knew what they had todo and who put the effort in. Yeah i probably scored some highly skilled riders right down with 5 out of 10 scores because they never ticked the boxes.

I'm not going to blabber on anymore. I just feel Ben got some unnecessary shit from people who didn't agree with certain things because they either were too lazy to read the requirements, or just couldn't be arsed to try and understand them and preferred a who can sidehop/ footjamwhip better competition. Hell there's a move for you todo right there, a footjamwhip sidehop, who could dislike that?! Now you just need to choose whether todo it smooth, big, or filmed in a cool way. Or maybe do it without the foot, with a seat grab, or naked. I've given you 6 ideas with one trick!

[edit]

I had no intention of entering this.

But then i had an idea.

But i have no time.

So i'll try my best.

HFGL

Edited by eskimo
  • Like 4