Does anyone over 30 still ride trials :(

ChrisBrown81

I'm 30 and been riding trials off and on since I was 16, I still love it as much as I did back then, try and get out once or twice a week.

Not riding at the moment due to a badly broken foot in November (Mountain biking injury), think I will need a year to get back to riding properly, can't wait!

As long as your still enjoying it keep riding!

such a good thread, i myself have been wondering if im to old too ride at the ripe old age of 26, i feel its deemed by joe public socially unacceptable to ride after the age of about 23ish, mainly because when people ask on the street and you tell them they raise an eyebrow, but id much rather ride and do something i see as a good outlet then play football or go drinking every 2 minutes..

its good to see some lads on here been riding like 15 years or so and still enjoying it, personally the past few years iv had a love hate relationship with trials, i love it but unless im pushing myself i easily tire of it, but recently iv decided i think a slight change to my riding may be needed, just to keep it fresh, gonna try concentrate more on style and tech rather then tryna kill myself every 2 minutes >_<

can i ask you lads who are older then me, do you feel like you should of quit by now? my family give me a hard time over riding and i think this is were the idea of being 'too old' has stemd from. your at a physical peak from 21 through till about 35 if you keep youreself in good nick :wink2:

brilliant thread, nice to see some lads with oldschool knees

No. It's a shame your family give you a hard time about it, can't see why they would to be honest!

i think some people view it kind of like the cliche of skateboarding, aimed at teens as an outlet for their teen angst and rebellion. 'tricks on a bmx' never fails to annoy me :'(

do you find self preservation kicking in more adam with age, thats something thats not hit yet, but im worried about it to be honest. midlife crisis over here :giggle:

Ahh, fair enough, I know what you mean. I do seem to remember people sometimes appearing to think 'hmm, he's a bit old for doing tricks on a bike' but I rarely ride street and it doesn't bother me...

Self-preservation, a little. But I guess I'm different to you in that I'm satisfied just playing around having some fun rather than having to go massive. I can understand how you might end up with a bit of 'inner turmoil' now you don't heal as quickly!

• Like 1

Although I don't feel like I should be quitting just because of my age I do find that I tend not to go on big group rides with the yoofs and there hashtagawesomeness... I really need to make an effort to get out with the likes of Prawn, Luke and the old school mob down here as I do miss messing around in Southampton, Pompy etc. but tend not to attend the average group ride for one reason or another.

Similarly to Ads I've never really done the stupid big stuff that instilled self preservation so much so that side hasn't changed although I do find my calibration fails me when it comes to gaps and ups and stuff, I guess because there are things that I definitely used to be able to do with ease that I'll now try and just can't get. Partly due to lack of pop from not riding enough and partly from a 'brain says no' standpoint. Slightly frustrating whatever!

• Like 2

can i ask you lads who are older then me, do you feel like you should of quit by now? my family give me a hard time over riding and i think this is were the idea of being 'too old' has stemd from. your at a physical peak from 21 through till about 35 if you keep youreself in good nick :wink2:

IMO it's the opposite

as you grow older, you'll need some hobbys to keep busy and happy

life seem more stressfull and depressing with age (I m 30)

having fun is the best way to spend your free time, whatever it is

you have a gift and a passion for trialsriding

that's what's important

as you said it's 1000 times better than soccer or beers every 2 min ;)

• Like 1

I am 34 and still ride... obviously life gets in the way a bit, but if you enjoy something you will make time.

Similarly to Ads I've never really done the stupid big stuff that instilled self preservation so much so that side hasn't changed although I do find my calibration fails me when it comes to gaps and ups and stuff, I guess because there are things that I definitely used to be able to do with ease that I'll now try and just can't get. Partly due to lack of pop from not riding enough and partly from a 'brain says no' standpoint. Slightly frustrating whatever!

I have never really done big stuff either, but I do tend to feel a bit sluggish when it comes to pop and have more of those 'brain says no' moments.

I do seem to be getting better at some stuff, mainly things I have learned more recently. I can't get as motivated to do 'just another gap' or something like I used too.

IMO it's the opposite

as you grow older, you'll need some hobbys to keep busy and happy

life seem more stressfull and depressing with age (I m 30)

having fun is the best way to spend your free time, whatever it is

you have a gift and a passion for trialsriding

that's what's important

as you said it's 1000 times better than soccer or beers every 2 min ;)

Couldn't agree more, riding (both trials and now road) is more important to me then they were when I was in my 20s as life is more stressful/difficult when you are older, and I need them to 'switch off' from everyday life and just have fun.

• Like 1

I'm giving it the rest of this year and next, then I'm gonna pack it in and get another moto trials bike and do that instead. I'll be 36 then, out of debt and it seems a nice gentlemanly thing to do

• Like 1

'brain says no'

Yeah this happens. I've ridden so rarely in the last year that I've lost it. The oddest feeling is riding past spots and remembering stuff that I've done in the past for video. I know I've done it but I can't actually work out how. Like the memory is now of watching someone else do it, and it's impossible again.

/makesnosense

• Like 1

I'm loving all the love for older riders :) So I've had my Onza Zoot for 2 weeks and I love it!! I've changed the rear sprocket for slightly higher gearing and changed the stem for a shorter, steeper one...so good to manual!! Really into my manuals and am currently trying to master 'G'-turns. The gaps I'm doing may have got lower and narrower but my smiles are bigger than ever!!! :D

• Like 1

such a good thread, i myself have been wondering if im to old too ride at the ripe old age of 26, i feel its deemed by joe public socially unacceptable to ride after the age of about 23ish, mainly because when people ask on the street and you tell them they raise an eyebrow, but id much rather ride and do something i see as a good outlet then play football or go drinking every 2 minutes..

its good to see some lads on here been riding like 15 years or so and still enjoying it, personally the past few years iv had a love hate relationship with trials, i love it but unless im pushing myself i easily tire of it, but recently iv decided i think a slight change to my riding may be needed, just to keep it fresh, gonna try concentrate more on style and tech rather then tryna kill myself every 2 minutes >_<

brilliant thread, nice to see some lads with oldschool knees

Isnt it funny how society wants to squeeze everyone in to little boxes...''You should be doing this'' or ''you should be that'' yadda yadda yadda.

We are all here to live a life of happiness or should atleast aspire to be happy in what ever we do -Other peoples opinions should never deter you or hem you in to a corner....If you love doing what you do and others look at you funny or bash you for doing something you love you should question why that person/persons feel that way...Is it because they lack the happines you have in life and are envious of it? 9 times out of 10 thats the case.

As the saying goes ''you are never to old to ride a bike'' (Y)

If other peoples opinions of you effect you or deter you from doing something you love -Whos life are you living ? yours or theirs?

Life is simple

do what makes you happy

anyone who says any different aint living life simply -their simply living life.

• Like 1

@ Damon W - without blowing smoke up your behind, mate, if your family are pressuring you to quit then they evidently have zero awareness of your involvement, influence, reputation, mind bending ability and out right status in the trials community and ultimately it's history.

I think it's sad that they would look down on it to be honest, they should be proud of your ability.

I've stood next to walls you've side hopped in Birmingham and I honestly struggle to comprehend how you have done it. Had I not seen the videos I would seriously question it.

Of all people who ride you should most certainly be one of them for as long as you want to. Regardless of what anyone else thinks, says or does.

If they wish to cast opinion without educating themselves on your skill then let them have their opinions but value them 0%.

Ride for as long as your heart says to ride.

For me, that'll be forever.

• Like 3