French National Champion Marion Porcher (22 years-old) - Bad Crash

Paperclip

Raimund Blaser "her brake slipped while dropping off a not particularily dangerous obstacle. she was just very unlucky and hit the obstacle with her neck and the back of her head. she was unconscious immediately. now she is in stable condition and will hopefully be fine again but she was put to artificial coma for safety reasons"

It was confirmed that the 20" has been cancelled but the 26" Semi finals did continue and the finals are on going.

A huge amount of respect from riders to chose not to continue, on another note Carthy got through the semi finals on 0

Yes indeed the women riders and the 20" riders decided not to race due to what has happened. It was the riders decision, not UCI's! in the 26" some riders decided to start anyway.I was there as my daughter was participating. There was no mechanical problem with Marion her bike. She simply lost her balance and had a stupid crash with severe concequenses. It was not even on a difficult section or obstacle. Just bad luck :(.

Yes there was a thunderstorm before the competition but sections were dry when they started. and another thunderstorm hit the site when they were discussing what to do.

Marion is still in the hospital fighting for her life. Her parents joined her sister who was with her in Krakow and are with her now. not much more we can say for the moment other than that we all hope she will recover.

I was hoping that because of the nature of the thread other's would contribute more information over the week, it sounds from reading Facebook that she still remains in a stable condition however is still in intensive care at Krakow. It's now down to her family getting in touch with Serge or whoever is in charge of the French team before anything else is spoken about.

I can only really mirror what it says over Facebook so if anyone can update please do...

It's worth bearing in mind though that with head injuries/people being placed in an artificial coma nothing happens quickly. You just need to see the reaction to Michael Schumacher hitting his head while skiing and the lack of info about that to get an idea really - there's no quick fix for things like that, it's just a slow process of recovery.

I was hoping that because of the nature of the thread other's would contribute more information over the week, it sounds from reading Facebook that she still remains in a stable condition however is still in intensive care at Krakow. It's now down to her family getting in touch with Serge or whoever is in charge of the French team before anything else is spoken about.

I can only really mirror what it says over Facebook so if anyone can update please do...

Hi out of respect for Marion and her family we have been asked to be discrete. All we can share for the moment is that she is stable, being held in an artificial coma. So her situation isn't getting worse but not getting better either. I am sure that as soon as there is a change and her family shares it with Serge he will share it on FB.

In the mean time the only thing we can do is hope!

There is a lot of support for her on social media which I think is a great thing and helps people close to her. Serge posted a drawing yesterday a lot a people are sharing. It says "all with Marion". feel free to share it if you like. the drawing is below:

11329949_10207058033472261_1980427881692

Edited by MCoen
  • Like 2

There has been a little bit of news yesterday. Her situation remains stable after her surgery on Saturday. She is stlll held in a artificial coma and they will perform the first scans today to see how she is recovering from her injuries. So fingers crossed we will get some positive news during the day, even if it is just a tiny bit of good news. thanks for all the support here!

• Like 4

We received another update today. Marion is still kept in an artificial coma for the moment. They will do some more tests in the next couple of days. hopefully they bring back some good news, even if it is just a little. for now we can just be patient and continue to hope for the best

Here is the latest news that just came in via Serge Froissart that is encouraging:

the doctors started to gradually reduce the various assistances to move towards a very progressive but also very complicated awakening ... That is why we must remain very cautious and very patient as the road is still very long and there are still many unknowns

Fingers crossed

• 2 weeks later...

A short update on Marion from Serge:

"I had the mother of Marion on the phone and the news is once again encouraging, yes !!! 1: We will know Monday if Marion is repatriated to France next week after verification of her stability , indicating real progress on her vitals . 2: Further, there are some small signs of movement that would indicate and would reinforce the diagnosis of a non-compressed spinal cord ... Top ! Although still not awakened , she fights like a champion with all her family, proud of her ! Continue to have hope but nevertheless remain patient because the battle will be very long .... Thank you all for your support. "

I have not heard any further news wether she can be repatriated to France or not.

• Like 1

Good news today!

"To all: Here is the info I have just received from Krakow
Good news first: Marion is repatriated this morning to France and brought to an hostipal in Angers.
Second good news: Marion opened her eyes a little yesterday and although it was not a long time it is a big progress !!
Important information: for now the visits will be authorized only to close family and as the doctors did not give the green light there is no point of wanting to go to the hospital to see her !!
happy that the people that I left in Krakow are finally coming home!! A big thought for Sandrine and Marie Blavignac returning by car from Krakau!"
  • Like 6

Another update we just received from Serge:

"To all. Some more encouraging news from Marion since her repatriation.

Here is what we received from her mom this morning:
"Marion now has her eyes wide open. Her kidneys work better since yesterday. They take good care of her. We see that she starts to become aware of her situation which is hard!
Thank you to all the clubs that support Marion we are all very moved by these gestures.
More news soon. Kisses to you all. "
Other info: For sending jerseys or other support to Marion and her family please contact Serge Foissart on FB so tha he can provide you with an address. thank you
We believe and continue the fight !!"
I think this will be a difficult time for Marion as she becomes aware of her situation. Fingers crossed she will keep improing
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

A new update from Marion, she keeps making small steps in the right direction :)

"Since returning to France there has been much progress she is no longer on dialysis, she now breaths on her own, she moves a lot and she folllows the orders of the doctors. Today she sat in a wheelchair for the first time and had no fever
For the results of the MRI the doctor said taht we must be patient. they tell us we need to see how she progresses. she is becoming increasingly aware of her condition which is very hard for her ... "
  • Like 5