John Langlois - New Bike Day - Arcade 2020

Tony Harrison

Mid-gap90-crankflip got me all kinds of excited :lol:

What's the general feel on "street trials" these days?
I'm finding in most videos that I'm enjoying less of them now that tropes have had time to emerge. The bits I enjoy are the bits where they're doing something new/novel.
His halfcab-whips and a bunch of tech nastiness are the good bits, but there seems to be an obligation for "big street riders" to do the biggest tyre-tap possible. Is that just the modern equivalent to a big dropgap when TGS reigned supreme?

Also love the footjam whip to fakie nose manual. I first saw it in Jack Heard's video so it's not "him making new stuff" as I mentioned above, but I guess it's fresh enough and still uncommon enough that it's fine :P

And why don't people smile? From facial expressions it seems that riding is almost all about conquest rather than having fun. Landing most of those lines would have me grinning myself giddy.
Particularly the crankflip one. Just to emphasise and positively reinforce that kind of behaviour.

Edited by aener

41 minutes ago, aener said:

Mid-gap90-crankflip got me all kinds of excited :lol:

I was f**king giddy at that too, loved it. 

Agreed on the smiling aspect too, there’s definitely a lack of fun coming through. Maybe some of that is that there’s less group ride content coming out?

I enjoyed the video some really cool techy stuff. The only bit I am disappointed about is that some of those spots looked like they had some really good trials lines in as well as the Bmx influenced street stuff and would have been nice to get a bit more trials mixed in as not seen too much of his riding but expect he has the capability. 

Also agree on the fun element - some of that stuff even at that level surely you’d have been pretty stoked on! 

21 hours ago, aener said:

Also love the footjam whip to fakie nose manual. I first saw it in Jack Heard's video so it's not "him making new stuff" as I mentioned above, but I guess it's fresh enough and still uncommon enough that it's fine :P

John put a clip out of him doing one which inspired Jack to do one, so I guess it's second (or third?) hand "making new stuff"? :P  I know what you mean though (Y) 

Having been lucky enough to ride with John he's pretty reserved/chilled out.  I'm sure he was jazzed about landing those moves but don't think he's one for going too nuts about it in that way.  Part of it may also have been that they were trying to squeeze a lot of stuff into the two days they filmed for (spoiler alert, it wasn't a one day effort), and I imagine with some of those tech combos they probably took a good few goes to get, so it might have been him knowing he still had to go and film X and Y to get the video done.  Equally, for all we know he may have gone wild just after the camera was turned off - seems fairly common judging from the B-roll on a lot of BMX videos...

• Like 1

Came expecting to be blown away, leaving feeling disappointed. 

Crank flip I have to admit was tidy but it did feel like a lot of spinning and big drops and not much else. Agree with Matt24 about potential trialsy lines, 2:57 when he's riding down the road with railings either side I thought there was something coming but no he just rode down the street and into some more spins. 

Granted the Arcade is made for streety stuff but it seems to be almost at a point where it is bmx with trials elements rather than trials with bmx elements? 

On a random note, does the harshness of when that bike hits the floor go through anyone else, sounds like someone has emptied out the cutlery drawer onto the floor! :lol:

51 minutes ago, isitafox said:

stuff but it seems to be almost at a point where it is bmx with trials elements rather than trials with bmx elements? 

It's a blurry line, and I have to say I don't think it matters much.
That's how a lot of people ride them, but if someone wants to ride it exclusively in skateparks or on dirt jumps, why not?

It's a similar distinction to the street/flatland BMX threshold. There will always be people just slightly to one side of the line riding a frame designed for the other, just because they're comfy on it.
Edit: Matthias Dandois. That's who I was thinking of when I wrote that.

To my personal taste, there would be a bit more "trialsy" content, but it's presumably how he wants to ride it so whatever :)
Some of the best fun I've had was riding my home-made brakeless mod down Gisburn's Hully Gully.

Edited by aener
  • Like 1