Profile Hub, Or White Industries Eno

SQuiT-man

48 * (18/12) = 72 effective clicks at the cranks. FFW eno would be the same :)

convinced? :)

Yeah, i second that.

It took me a while to get my head around it.

ENO dosnt have an advantage over a profile, apart from its cheaper.

:)

Care to write down those calculations?

If it were me, I'd go for the Profile, yes it's costing you £40 more, which is alot of money for something which engages less, but you won't notice the difference, going from my bike to a Zoo Python with a Profile, it seemed fine, ok, there was a tiny difference, but it's completely solid, and will not let you down.

Weight wise, I don't think you'd notice it so much when actually riding :)

Seems liike someone has done the maths for me but yep its all true.

48 * (18/12) = 72 effective clicks at the cranks. FFW eno would be the same :)

convinced? :)

Edited by Michael Hardman

Care to write down those calculations?

If it were me, I'd go for the Profile, yes it's costing you £40 more, which is alot of money for something which engages less, but you won't notice the difference, going from my bike to a Zoo Python with a Profile, it seemed fine, ok, there was a tiny difference, but it's completely solid, and will not let you down.

Weight wise, I don't think you'd notice it so much when actually riding :)

Good luck finding a Profile for £110? Don't forget the £20 for the wheel build, maybe as well if the old wheel needs stripping too. Oh, and the 18t fixed sprocket up front. That's another £20-ish too... so yeah, it almost always ends up in £200-ish territory to Profile up your bike, which is why I went for the Eno, basically. £70 is much nicer sounding than £200-ish...

Yea Marks right... (damn :huh:) It does literally cost you just over £200 to "profile up your bike" if you have the money its soo worth it. I used to have a claw and its nice enuff engagement, I've also riding an ENO on someone elses bike and it feels like its got loads of engagements which is great, but at the end of the day I feel safer with a Profile and as said many times by Bongo.. with the ENO at the end of the day its still a freewheel.

Ive had both a profile and a white industires...............

Well im still using the white industries,overall the profile is the more reliable of the too obviolusy everybody knows its not often they slip.But they arent very smooth.

However the white industries is very smooth,and the pick up is awsome........

Id probs go for the white industries.

It depends wat sort of riding your into really....................

Lee

Would you say that White Industries are more reliable than ACS claws? As-in how many times they slip when bedding in and generally?

I've had an ACS on for ages (5 months +) and it's only slipped like twice. Once was yesterday and i was only trackstanding messing about n it slipped 1 notch so i wasn't too fussed at all!

I'm thinking about getting this wheel off Swindon Rider if he's selling it. Profile on Koxx for £105 ish posted.

I can do that, or buy a White industries for what, £70? £75? ish.

I'm confuzzled. I need something i can most definatly dely on too. And something that doesn't weigh a tonne cos I hate having a heavy bike! However pedantic that it :lol:

Would you say that White Industries are more reliable than ACS claws? As-in how many times they slip when bedding in and generally?

I've had an ACS on for ages (5 months +) and it's only slipped like twice. Once was yesterday and i was only trackstanding messing about n it slipped 1 notch so i wasn't too fussed at all!

I'm thinking about getting this wheel off Swindon Rider if he's selling it. Profile on Koxx for £105 ish posted.

I can do that, or buy a White industries for what, £70? £75? ish.

I'm confuzzled. I need something i can most definatly dely on too. And something that doesn't weigh a tonne cos I hate having a heavy bike! However pedantic that it :huh:

Even though its a freewheel, it has six pawls, so even if it does skip, it can't feel like any more than the normal engagement on an ACS, so that seems pretty reliable to me

My Eno skipped once. I only knew 'cos it went "BANG". Because it's got anothe engagement point every 5°, you just go straight to the next one so you don't really notice it at all. I only failed to make the gap 'cos I thought "Shit my dish, what was that?" and kinda aborted it. But if I'd have particularly been bloody-minded about it, I could've made the gap anyway. So yeah, even if it should skip you're sorted.

• 14 years later...

Profiles are 110mm. Your Pashley will be 135mm.

Profiles were only ever a "thing" in trials because people wanted a 116mm (with cams) freehub.
They're pretty much the same price as a Hope and not as good. Get a Hope ;) 

Edited by aener

They released the Elites 6 years ago :P  They're not really as well known in the trials world though to be fair - a few people have used them on here and on OTN, but they're super, super expensive (£450~ for the rear, a ludicrous £160~ for the front) so there's not much point in fairness.  Hope seem to have gone a bit off the boil in recent years in terms of quality/QC, but for price they're way ahead of Profile, King and I9.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Ross McArthur said:

What have you noticed in terms of the quality of Hopes, Mark? Bearings or something?

Bearings dying seemed more common when the Pro 4 was first released, but I've seen a few that have had pawls that have shit the bed, then gone through the ratchet and made a mess of it.  They've been decent with warrantying them, but it's still not ideal it's happening in the first place.

It was fun reading this 14 year old thread. My how things have changed. I still have my Eno in it's nice little box, but it's too heavy today and the retention ring is on the wrong side.

I bought a Profile Elite single speed too maybe 4 years ago and I'm still just luke warm about it. It was $450 with all the titanium bits i wanted and the elite cog and they wouldn't even offer free shipping. After I built the wheel, I noticed it had a little side to side play in it; not much, but enough to notice when landing spins. I called Profile and they said, yeah it'll need a shim, but i'd have to send them the wheel (also no free shipping!) so it still has a little play :-( After riding it hard for a while, i noticed that the elite cog had some breaks in the cutouts so i switched to the regular heavier cog (the elite freewheel is proprietary to Profile, but you can order it with a standard HG pattern, lesson learned). Other than that, it's been great. 208 points of engagement is fantastic, it sounds great and I haven't had to touch the internals.

I'm all Industry Nine torch hubs (rear) now, haven't tried the Hydra. For anyone on a budget I still recommend Hope too. I had one of the bad Pro4s, but all my others have been fine. Echo also now makes a disc single speed rear that I'm curious to try, but I don't need one anytime soon.

2005, when Eno was king!

32 minutes ago, Ali C said:

keeping it real with my King hubs here

Ali, what did you not like about your Industry 9 hubs? I have a chris king set from 1998 that's still rolling fine, but they don't have disc tabs and replacing them would be WAY too expensive now.

I liked everything about my I9 hubs except how loud they were haha, only issue was they replaced it with the Hydra model and I wasn't going to be the one to test it's reliability. I messaged Chris King and they were willing to supply parts for all my bikes so I bit their arm off

• Like 2