144 members have voted

1. 1. Do you speed?

• Driving: Yes
    • Driving: No
    • Driving: Occasionaly
    • Non driver: I would all the time
    • Non driver: I would never do it
    • Non driver: Only sometimes

Ive only read the first few posts but heres my input.

and bak on topic cos it seems like people were arguin.

My personall view is that speeding is wrong, and right all at the same time. I mean it has its ups and downs.

Its there for a reason and yea, it should be abayed (sp). But like on the motorways etc, if everyone went at 70 everywhere, no one would get anywhere, (well obviously they would but alot slower.) Its just sometimes seems a slow if you get what i mean.

I my mum n dad dont speed, but when im in a car with my bro or my mates, that i know well, i generally feel confident with them. Like my brother, he was a nutter in his Fiesta RS1800, he never learned from when he nearly died in a car crash which was his own fault. I feel confident with him driving cos i know that he can control the car well whatever, i know that that might sound a bit big headed but he can. But there is that part of me that thinks what if...

Same with my mate pete. Ive been pretty much out and about with him since the day he passed his test and 5 cars that hes had in the last year, all crashed, (only one was his fault) i still feel confident with him driving. He has generally calmed down now when driving.

But say if it was like someone i didnt really know and they were hacking along id feel a bit nervous.

Generally If i know the person i feel alot safer.

Im 17 in about a month and i dread to think what il b like with all the influence of my bro, mates and his mates.

Driving while on your phone i think is just plain stupid, it does put u off. Sit being a passenger, try and write a txt and watch the road. Not too easy.

But speeding, i think most of us will do it everynow and then and thats that but you just gotta watch out, and use your common sense. Specially if your the driver and youve got passengers. You dont wanna have someones death on your consience.

Drive safely people. Im done...

I think you will find with some rollercoasters that the Gforces far exceed road going cars. Some can even pull 4G, most road cars struggle to reach 1G. F1 cars barely go above 5.

that is total bolocks somehow

a top fuel dragster newcar3.jpg oine of them generates 5g's when the parachutes were pulled at 305mph .... a f1 car does what 160mph?

this has been proven by a in car computer system called "racepak" it has all sorts of sensors (we have one in our car Danny%20Cockerill%2057-1.jpg and that generates about 3-4g's pulling the chutes at 216mph (6.565 seconds)

anyways i thnk this thread is full of big f**k off bolocks so ... im going now

ytatar

I'm amazed at how quickly this thread turned to handbags at dawn.

Spacemunkee, this is why insurance is so expensive for teens just past their test. 8/10 can't equate dangerous driving to serious injury or death. I've seen it - and I know it's stereotyping but it's true, proven by this thread.

I've been driving for just over a year and I never 'speed' I may occassionally exceed the published speed limit but this is at my own discretion. I believe that once you are issued with a licence you should be able to make an informed judgement about the correct speed at which to travel, which depends on an infinite number of variable such as time of day, traffic conditions, weather etc. Just like you make a descision about when to pull out onto a busy road?

I think everybody goes through a stage when they've just passed their test where there tear arse around. As mentioned before in the thread - it's stupid. I've had a few occassions where I've seen something or a 'what if?' scenario which has really made me think - a bit like spacemunkee. Unfortunately its only with time and experience that the skill and foresight develop. There are so many things I do differently now than to a year ago.

Coming back to my point about discretion in relation to the speed you travel - it can work the other way too. There are some roads that are 60 by me that I would never dream of driving at that speed - windy, single lane raods with high hedges and loose top surface. And then 2am on a motorway in moonlight and bone dry, good, clear road you should travel the same speed as 5pm on a wet motorway in driving rain?

Sorry if I rambled, and please don't clog this thread with shit, I think this is a thread is very topical without bitching

I believe that once you are issued with a licence you should be able to make an informed judgement about the correct speed at which to travel, which depends on an infinite number of variable such as time of day, traffic conditions, weather etc.

Haha, try telling that to the police when they catch you :-

Have you all forgotten about what happened to DJ last year? It was idiots who thought they were ok to do 70mph in a 40mph zone that killed him!...he isnt with us anymore because of the wrecklessness of others. They too thought they knew the road well enough, but so did DJ. You can't honestly say that it was ok for the @*$*@~#@ to do that to him?

I will admit that in the past i have driven above the speed limit on motorways, but i would never drive above the speed limit in a built up area. One day it could be a family member of yours that is killed, how will you feel then? (I really hope it never happens to you because it wrecks lives) everyone who loved the person that is killed has a responsiblity to ensure it doesn't ever happen to anyone else - so be a grown up and start to change the way that others drive, drive carefully yourself and others might follow in your footsteps.

Sorry if i offended anyone by this reply but i feel it needs to be said.

So to all of YOU out there, learners or experienced drivers - BE SAFE BEHIND A WHEEL AND SAVE A LIFE!!!

love Sue

xxxxx (Y)  :-  :)  :)  :D  :deej:  :deej:  :deej:  :deej:  (Y)

i was in a run and run on friday was not nice at all

Edited by gregtria

To be fair i would like to think that the people who i know and have met on this forum as having more compassion and brains to realise that not stopping after hitting someone is a stupid and heartless action.

Ive been puzzled lately over something else.... to do with car insurance. Like ive said earlier ive been driving now for over 2 years, no claims nothing and the 1.6 civic insured under my name. The car is a category 9 or 10 if i remember correctly. However ive got my heart set on bigger things.. a civic type r. My insurance at the minute is in the ££££'s and im planning on taking pass plus to try and cut down on the bill.

Anyways back to the point just wondering, why can people pick up an autotrader buy a 2 litre+ car insure it, drive it about and everything when they are atleast a year younger than me and the car costing a fraction for what i paid for mine. But when i ask about gettin insurance for a civic type R i get laughed at by companies.

Surely something that costs as standard £16000 is not comparable to someone who paid £2000 on something with a bigger engine and older.. Ok im probably not being too clear what im trying to say is.. how come i cant get insured on something thats 2 litre (200bhp) when people drive 2 litre turbo's etc with well over 200bhp.. and are my age or even less. I just dont get how it works at all.. someone please state the obvious

True, when getting insurance your asked loads of questions like where will the car be located, security, immobilisers etc etc. But even that doesnt account for it.. you'd have thought a newish model car (type-r's going out of production in september so not new now :- ) would have more safety features/security to it than something picked up in the bargain bucket section in a magazine..

To be fair i would like to think that the people who i know and have met on this forum as having more compassion and brains to realise that not stopping after hitting someone is a stupid and heartless action.

Ive been puzzled lately over something else.... to do with car insurance. Like ive said earlier ive been driving now for over 2 years, no claims nothing and the 1.6 civic insured under my name. The car is a category 9 or 10 if i remember correctly. However ive got my heart set on bigger things.. a civic type r. My insurance at the minute is in the ££££'s  and im planning on taking pass plus to try and cut down on the bill.

Anyways back to the point just wondering,  why can people pick up an autotrader buy a 2 litre+ car insure it, drive it about and everything when they are atleast a year younger than me and the car costing a fraction for what i paid for mine. But when i ask about gettin insurance for a civic type R i get laughed at by companies.

Surely something that costs as standard £16000 is not comparable to someone who paid £2000 on something with a bigger engine and older.. Ok im probably not being too clear what im trying to say is.. how come i cant get insured on something thats 2 litre (200bhp) when people drive 2 litre turbo's etc with well over 200bhp.. and are my age or even less. I just dont get how it works at all.. someone please state the obvious

The people round my way with nice cars are the ones who haven't bothered to go to uni and have been working since 16/18, are still living at home and pay no rent. It goes without saying that they probably aren't concerning themselves with saving up for a house deposit or owt like that, and so treat their 16k or so wage as disposable income, hence stupid price insurance for a fast old car doesn't really bother them... Not that i'm bitter or anything :-

By the way - Mr pissin' on the fence, i didn't realise my post count was so high, after all I have only been using this place for three years. I suppose my posts would contain much better content were my post count in the tens of thousands by your logic then?

Andy

Around town: Admittedly I do sometimes, but never when there are kids round or too many people. Depends on the situation, but I do try to be careful and only do it when it's safe.

Country lanes: Gotta love them. Nothing better than a good blast down a country lane. Just keep your eyes peeled and be ready for anything. Personally I like to try n get to know the roads abit first. I know most of the country lanes around here pretty damn well and know how fast you can and can't go. But still, be ready for anything, horses, people other cars... cop vans :- (private joke)

But yea, I used to be fairly bad for it but i've calmed down alot recently and I'm alot more sensible.

that is total bolocks somehow

a top fuel dragster newcar3.jpg oine of them generates 5g's when the parachutes were pulled at 305mph .... a f1 car does what 160mph?

this has been proven by a in car computer system called "racepak" it has all sorts of sensors (we have one in our car Danny%20Cockerill%2057-1.jpg and that generates about 3-4g's pulling the chutes at 216mph (6.565 seconds)

anyways i thnk this thread is full of big f**k off bolocks so ... im going now

ytatar

I was refering to the lateral g forces brought about by cornering. Cenrtipetal Force if you like. Under braking an F1 car can do about 4G easily. It cans top from 230 mph to 0 in a little over 150metres. Bear in mind though, that this is all taking place on race tracks where most variables (pedestrians in the road, kids running about, traffic from an opposing direction) are removed, not on the street of Bilericay or wherever.

why does that even need to be brought into what i said. i said its ok to speed if there is no one else aorund i.e out in country, or at 2 in the morning like someone else in this thread said.

So you have sensors telling you where people are? Don't be a cock. Oh it's 2am, there can't be anyone else about (Even though i'm about, no-one else will be!) I'm sorry but that attitude is what causes accidents.

Everyone is guilty of doing 40 in 30 zones sometimes, I don't think that is the real issue, I think people that do 80 in 60's or worse is the problem, as it takes a lot longer to stop (Obviously) and the damage is that much more substantial.

80% of the people on the road speed now and then, and in the right circumstances I would say it's not too bad (IE doing 80 in the fast lane on the M25, keeping up with the rest of the traffic)

The general rule, and as was proved by DJ's tragic accident, is that you shouldn't drive like a twat and "know the road". Yes you may know the limit of your machine, how to get it round the corner without skidding off, but you don't know who's half way across the road around the corner. Think about it.

It's not big or clever, it's f**king silly. :-

if im not mistaken that is a motor bike not a car anyway on a motor bike if u clip something your gonna get very heart or fall of

I've just read through your posts, you talk some shit don't you?

The whole roundabout thing... what a numpty. Going round a roundabout at 100... you just proved it's just a road with a little corner on it, not actually a roundabout. You can't go round a roundabout at 100 in a Elise.

And he's clearly a twat for going that fast around town.