Vw's On The Trials Forum

nmt_oli

how'd it go?

I just got home, (check out the time) haha, the good news is, I got home driving a scirocco with a new engine. :D :D :D

The bad news is I've still got some work to do, as the exhausts hitting the rear beam, and making a lot of noise, and the alternator sounds raped. Also I'm 90% sure I've broken my right index finger, which isn't idea what with being in the first few weeks of a motorsport degree and being a bike mechanic as a job :S

Couple of quick pictures from yesterday, got it running a lot smoother now, however it's still going to fail the MOT tomorrow on the exhaust (hitting the beam). I've physically run out of time/energy to work on it any longer though, so I'll have to get it sorted then re-tested. Got a week till the ticket runs out anyway.

One empty engine bay:

8525_176221466310_596781310_4325695_5731

Swapping bits over between the 2 engines (new one was from a mk2 golf, so the manifolds, all the engine mounts and a few coolant hose's needed swapping over for the rocco/mk1 items:

8525_176221461310_596781310_4325694_7030

The engine ready to go in:

8525_176221441310_596781310_4325691_1500

And the engine in place, ready to drive away :D:

8525_176221471310_596781310_4325696_3718

Lovely job, bit of preparation and it all goes so smoothly :)

You did better than us, the old engine refused to come upwards out of boumsong's scirocco, so we dropped it on the floor and lifted the car over it. Words like "Is this safe?" and "be reet youth" were exchanged B)

No rice this eve has made me keen to do more to the car, i think the next thing really is de-wiper the rear, suits me as its a free mod, lol. So may be getting the haynes manual out tomuz if the weather is good.

ok, just de-wipered the rear. There is a hole at the mo but picking up a bung on the way to a mates this eve. :D will send pics then.

Ok, below is how it looks now. :D

Before:

n516357730_1157577_312.jpg

After:

10432_156413937730_516357730_2586003_109

What do you guys think?

Edited by Mowgli

Do you just want to slam it, or actually improve the handling?

Do the cheap ones make the handling any worse? Don't think I'm really considering anything coilies wise, it's just something I wondered for a while.

Do the cheap ones make the handling any worse? Don't think I'm really considering anything coilies wise, it's just something I wondered for a while.

Yes !

Long and short of it is the springs are normally not tuned in to the cars weight/handling characteristics and the shocks are normally too soft or too hard and 9 times out of 10 aren't exactly adjustable...

I do want to improve the handling mainly and get some lows. Weather i keep the car for a long time or if i change i want the car to be spot on. Whats best brand wise too?

did a bit of cleaning today so here is a better pick of the de-wiper.

10432_157274452730_516357730_2590869_404

Edited by Mowgli

My TA technix seem really decent now that they're set up properly, I'd say they're better than the super cheepo ebay ones, and not far off the cost. They're defiantly an improvement over the standard set up, and the ride's far from unbearable. Might be worth a look. I got mine through Jackson tuning on clubpolo, he tends to be pretty decent on price's and gives very good service.

I do want to improve the handling mainly and get some lows. Weather i keep the car for a long time or if i change i want the car to be spot on. Whats best brand wise too?

did a bit of cleaning today so here is a better pick of the de-wiper.

10432_157274452730_516357730_2590869_404

looks good, deffo get rid of the Golf badge, makes the rear look uneven..

and lows,

TA technix...

Hmmm...

A friends got TA Technix on his 6N Polo... Bloody impressed with them value wise - £200 for coilovers is a steal. But... There is a noticeable difference between them and my KW Variant 1s. Part of it may well be down to the car, the wheelbase is 250mm ish longer and it must weigh a good 400kgs more, but the TA's are a bit pants on anything other than very smooth road surfaces, but apparently if you've done an epic drive on them they feel better? Warm up? KWs seem a bit more versatile or something, can deal with any shit you chuck at them without bottoming out. They are almost 5 times the price (depending on application etc). Swings and roundabouts really.

Edited by The Duck

coilovery stuff

Yeah, defiantly, they're not up there with the big boys stuff, sorry, wasn't trying to say they were, was just meaning that personally I find them completely bearable for daily use, and I live in the country, with dodgy roads everywhere and some vicious speed bumps at my college. (Mines down 70/80ish mm, just right to only just scrape the centre box in the speed bumps at college :P)

Has your mate with the 6N cut down the bump stops on his? It improved mine ten fold.