The Top Gear Thread

Smo™

Either way:

2008_Ariel_Atom500V82.jpg

The 2.4L V8 used in the new Atom. Revs past 10,000rpm. Soulds like they've just made a road legal F1 car.

That is awesome. They build those cars about 15 minutes from my house. Driving past it you wouldn't think anything of the place, its right on the road side, just looks like a large workshop. I think I should pop down there and 'borrow' an engine.

Is that a live axel?

Nah, its just the inner driveshaft, with support bearing. on the left of the picture, the shorter driveshaft, will fit into splines inside the box. and on the other end, another driveshaft, will bolt onto the flange on the left. with an inner and an outer cv joint on each shaft, with independant rear suspension.

this is a live axle

portal-axle-4.jpg

as you can see theres no articulation in the axle at all. it always has to be straight, and the wheels always have to be parallel, restricting suspension movement and path of the wheel.

I think the presenting has lost the plot, although im liking James May more recently for some reason, probably cos of the other programs he does, but I thought the Ken Block segment was brilliant, WANT one of those hi-speed cameras, jizz worthy footage, but yeah everything else was poo - yes Jezza, cos EVERYBODY watching your show can afford a £200k Merc that is rubbish, so why are you 'reviewing' it >_<

I'm tempted to think that the Ken section was shot by the same guys that do his internet vids, rather than usual Top Gear crew, it had a very similar feel, unless they simply copied his normal style. I suspect it would have been shot on red for those slow-mo shots, they did look awesome.

I'm tempted to think that the Ken section was shot by the same guys that do his internet vids, rather than usual Top Gear crew, it had a very similar feel, unless they simply copied his normal style. I suspect it would have been shot on red for those slow-mo shots, they did look awesome.

Course it was! Not only then would the BBC not have to pay for more cameramen and kit to go to the shoot, the Ken Block crew would be a lot better at it as well. And they have the slo-mo cam.

Thought the episode was a bit dull but hopefully that's just a sign of them going back to how Top Gear was a few seasons ago i.e. not ludicrously over the top.

And my dad knows Ken Block, in a met him on a number of occasions kind of way.

And my dad can beat your dad up as well!

• 3 weeks later...

It was the BBC crew, and yes, the 120fps bits were shot on a RED One (As were the normal speed bits too...)

Yeah, I've been wondering where it's gone. :(

Pretty good episode, though I would have liked more bits on the £3k auction cars. :)

Pre 82 cars for £3k? They could have got some really good ones, and they all bought shite.