The Sidehop Thread

python_man

just for you lot ill do it at weekend and stay on the pallets just to prove i can do it... look how kind i am

and it not like tapping a object when you hop off it still means physically i went 52 inches high, so im fully capable of side hopping 52 inches the only thing thats off is my balance its hard to stay on the pallets when my body's that tucked, and after all this is a topic about tuckage

Edited by Gaz M

It is like the tap situation though surely?

Using your argument, you're still physically going [insert height of wall] high, your just not balanced enough to hold it or whatever

It doesn't make a difference for a tuck pic, but in terms of pulling a move...

The thing is. If you got on top of the wall/pallets and hop off again, in theory you have still made the move. Its just when you are as tucked as Gaz is it is so hard to keep your balance/stay on the object. In my opinion it counts but people will argue against.

Danny.

Gaz is correct, and it's not really like a tap, on a tap ur whole rear rarely even makes it on top of wall u can grip a fair bit down, and gaz landed on top.

thanx love, exactly what i was trying to say but i didnt know how to word it

i cant believe this is still going. :lol:

a few mates of mine are argueing these points.

i dont believe ive done something until ive gone up and along.

the arguement is there for both sides.

if you side hop in a comp and come back off it doesnt count.

BUT

if youe still getting that height your still doing it

this arguement could go on for a long time.

im nor arguing i SURE gaz will make that side hop and keep it, but me personally cant stand when i hop on and off, i think of it as useless, i think its EXACTLY like a tap, uve got he height, just not got the right body possition to keep it.

davetrials.

Edited by sexymike

Hopping on then straight back off to me just pushes me to actually MAKE it and stick it... If I make the height but can't quite hold it, it kinda spurs me on to fully stick it. If I don't, then to me it's only 1/2 done.

From what people are saying, if you hop on then straight off that's it, done. So what if you make it and hold it? Is that a completely different move?

That's the one Dan

Doesn't count as actually being able to 'sidehop X inches' until you can do it most times, and ride it out, as opposed to the odd hop on and straight off again

Shows you it's within range, and can help to push you to nail it, but IMO you haven't got it 'til you've got it properly

That's the one Dan

Doesn't count as actually being able to 'sidehop X inches' until you can do it most times, and ride it out, as opposed to the odd hop on and straight off again

Shows you it's within range, and can help to push you to nail it, but IMO you haven't got it 'til you've got it properly

Exactly the same opinion as mine. If you can't repeatedly do it and keep it, then its not something you can actually do. Sure, you can say one day i sidehopped up 58 inches, but did you really? I can happily try a static gap and hit another wall 7 and a half foot away with my rear wheel, but can't stick it. That would never be classed as being able to gap that far... i can only gap and hold it at around 7'-7'2". Its the same with a sidehop... kind of defeats the purpose of trying to jump up something sideways if you can't stay on it, its not an actually made height, just one you managed to fluke yourself onto one time.

Close, but no cigar ;)

There is NO WAY you can count a sidehop where you have to hop off! If you fell in the direction you sidehop it might be given as that time you obviously have made the height but just lost your balance. But when you hop back the same way you obviously haven't quite made it enough to even attempt to keep it. I'm sure that doesn't quite make sense but I know what I mean...

EITHER WAY

I'm looking forward to seeing it stuck in a video Gaz (Y)

right, rails.

sidehop on, then what, you either ride along or hop off either way. what counts?

i feel it counts if you go over the side which yoiu sidehopped (ie not just hopping off the way you went up, actually going over it) as it serves a purpose. going along is just an added on thing for the coolness factor IMO, although it is bloody cool

i am with the, 'you havent made it till its sticks' crew though.

i am with the, 'you havent made it till its sticks' crew though.

Same here

I used to be on the ''sidehopping up and jumping off does count'' crew, but that was just because I couldn't accept that it I couldn't keep up there :P

if you dont have the balance to stay up then u havent made it. you have to stay on the object as thats what you were aiming to do...

sorry.

you can argue it all you like, it kinda makes it a half arsed attempt, if your to get it on top and stay on the pallets then you will have to go higher / harder / bigger, whatever you want to call it, but an ON OFF is wrong for the following reasons

• for a start it looks shit on camera
  • it looks shit on camera
  • ben travis is against it
  • its like saying my tyre slipped but i landed on my frame, but i got up
  • you didnt actually make it high enough to stick it, which is what your aiming to do

either way i dont care, its up to you what makes you happy, i wouldnt be happy if i didnt get it on top and keep it.

sorry

dont all hate me, im still english

if you dont have the balance to stay up then u havent made it. you have to stay on the object as thats what you were aiming to do...

sorry.

you can argue it all you like, it kinda makes it a half arsed attempt, if your to get it on top and stay on the pallets then you will have to go higher / harder / bigger, whatever you want to call it, but an ON OFF is wrong for the following reasons

• for a start it looks shit on camera
  • ben travis is against it
  • its like saying my tyre slipped but i landed on my frame, but i got up
  • you didnt actually make it high enough to stick it, which is what your aiming to do
either way i dont care, its up to you what makes you happy, i wouldnt be happy if i didnt get it on top and keep it.

sorry

dont all hate me, im still english

love u

oooo i do hate an on off sidehop. IT JUST DOESNT COUNT.

please dont put it in ur next video gaz. yer its big, but its an ON OFF

waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

i can hear a bit of gelousy coming on here! if you ask me i think its amazing!

WHEERLER NO f**kING WAY :blink: .

Really ?

Danny.

i filmd that

Gaz is correct, and it's not really like a tap, on a tap ur whole rear rarely even makes it on top of wall u can grip a fair bit down, and gaz landed on top.

have you ever ridden with pauly lol

no matetr how high it is he some how is ontop lol

wats the point in doing a sidehop if you cant stay on the wall??? then your gonna have to find another way to get on it... thats like making a plane that will only stay in the air for 2 secs, it got in the air, but cant stay there... so its not a plane because it cant fly weeeeeeeey

Edited by aim@me