Ps3, Who Wants One?

Matt_Zoot

blu-ray is the new discs, they can hold alot more than conventional discs, therefore allowing better gaming.

But it's also a new form of DVD basically. Really expensive and hi-definition DVD.

The reason I am quite pleased that the release has been a flop is this: Sony have been trying to push their own standard (Blu-ray), against the competing format HD-DVD which isn't owned by anyone. Basically it's a format-war between Sony and everyone else (same as Betamax vs VHS), and Sony are relying on the PS3 to push their standard.

Overheard someone in Tesco Extra saying they had around 20 left, they only got 30 in! >_<

Had some games, everyone was saying they are £60, they we're £45, so that's not too bad, and they had Blue-Ray films for about £15, which is very competitive.

Because, for some reason, it angers me that Sony believe they can charge 500+ quid for a fooking games console. Its simply mind boggling how they thought that was a good idea.

The console is worth that amount of money, if not more.

Not saying that consoles should be made to be that expensive but its worth it.

To be fair there are quite a few decent titles there.

I overestimated a bit on the price I guess. Recent ones are still £25 though.

Recent DVD's are around that.

Because, for some reason, it angers me that Sony believe they can charge 500+ quid for a fooking games console. Its simply mind boggling how they thought that was a good idea.

Is this the one with the blue ray technology? Some guy who I work with was saying the actually blue ray part of it alone is worth something like a grand as it's brand new technology. I guess Sony have a great deal of buying power hence they can sell it at this price, but I agree for what it essentially is that is a lot of money, but for what it is in terms of technology that's not bad by the sound of it.

Obviously these are solely the views of my collegue Dave and in no way represent the views or opinions of Davey, the Sony Corporation Ltd or any of its afilliates worldwide.

Davey

Edited by Small_Gear_Big_Style

Is this the one with the blue ray technology? Some guy who I work with was saying the actually blue ray part of it alone is worth something like a grand as it's brand new technology.

But again, your friend at work is trying to sell it because of some Blue Ray thing which hardly anyone has heard of it.

I can't actually begin to explain how stupid that is, i can't even come up with a situation as stupid as that.

I guess its kinda like putting a 10 grand top of the range ICE install in my 306. "Buy this car which no one wants, but hey, you get a top of the range cutting edge ICE install!".

Wank example i know, but there we go.

Blu Ray is good though.

Me and Rich_87 (and a few others I think) had a discussion about this before.

Just because you havent heard of it doesnt mean its not good i mean, be honest, before asking about it what did you know about your camera before asking/finding out?

How does anyone know that a Bugatti Veyron isnt shit?

IMO though Blu Ray will lose to HD-DVD

What what what.

Hold on up here.

I never said Blu-Ray was shit. I infact think its fooking excellent, however, people are trying to sell the PS3 on every feature it has except for its actual gaming capabilities, ie, the blu-ray stuft, and i think its kinda pathetic that for Sony to justify the insane price for a gaming console that they have to sell it on the fact it has some up and coming technology which no one really wants to back anyway, and the PS3 is just a means for Sony to push their technology over the competitors.

I'd probably be getting one but i want so much other stuff first such as

a hd telly

surround sound

Also the only reason at this moment in time convincing me to buy one is due to the trailer of metal gear solid 4 it looks f**king immense to be honest.

Just give it a year guys, you got to realise that Blu-ray discs can hold so much more data than conventional dvd's compared to the Xbox360. It's going to take game producers quite a while to create games that will take full advantage of the superior ATI graphics chipset that the PS3 has. Creating a game with so much detail obviously takes alot of production time and thats why games that are out at the moment for the PS3 are pretty similar if not worse than the Xbox360s because it is just gona take a little while.

You dont see everyone slating DirectX10 on Windows Vista because there are no games you can play for it, infact you get everyone bumming microsoft for creating a new 'shiny' OS. Time is all it takes for game producers to pull their finger out.

Just give it a year guys, you got to realise that Blu-ray discs can hold so much more data than conventional dvd's compared to the Xbox360.
Did someone say 'Black Xbox360 with HD-DVD support out in April'?

Just thinking about an earlier post.......

If they're just future proofing for when Blu-Ray becomes mainstream (like DVD players are now), it makes no sense.

I reckon it will be a good couple of years before that happens, by which time the PS4 will be on the cards.

My 2 cents on the subject, I wont be buying one anyhow

If they're just future proofing for when Blu-Ray becomes mainstream (like DVD players are now), it makes no sense.

That's the point though, they're not. They're trying to force Blu-ray onto us ;)

But the PS4 will be years off - The PS2 came out over 7 years ago.

Haha. This thread has made me laugh!

Was in need of a cheer up. Thanks guys.

(Not offending anyone... just the ammount of missinterpretations etc.)

EDIT: I take it no-one's taking VeeDubDub up on his offer? Poor him... haha

Edited by Flipp