Broken Pro Ii Trials (again!)

spode@thinkbikes

I got my Pro II (2006 model) back from Hope about a month ago, replacing a spring and a snapped axle. And today, the shell body split almost completely in half - luckily not doing anything big.

I've had the WORST luck recently with bike components and this is just the last straw. I've been a loyal Hope customer since 2000 for both Discs and Hubs and I've never had as much trouble as I'm having with these.

I keep telling myself, that if Damon Watson can do the stuff he does on a Pro II, then it should stand up to my riding...

It's great that Hope warranty these things, but having to rebuild my wheel every time it goes wrong is a PITA.

So I'm unsure whether to complain until they upgrade me to a 2007 Pro II and hope that lasts. Or try a different brand, or even go down the front freewheel route. At least with front freewheel, if it goes I can just replace it in twenty minutes without having to rebuild the wheel.

Opinions anyone?

A particularly frustrated Spodey..

Edited by Spode

I keep telling myself, that if Damon Watson can do the stuff he does on a Pro II, then it should stand up to my riding...

Damon also cracked his hubshell if i remember and snapped a axel.

Ive also done my hubshell aswell, thankfully was able to build a tempary wheel up for me to use.

another hope pro2 negative.

im not suprised .

and for every f** that argued the point for them , i hope this is funny!

hope didnt get it right, unfortunately.

woops

How many hundreds of hubs do you think they have sold, even if 100 break its still probably not a bad percentage of failed ones, your just being narrowminded and at least hope do something to sort it. Look at the deng hubs that tryed to copy hope, they started sh*t and still are because it takes too much effort to get mass produced taiwanese crap re designed. Id prefer my money to go to hope anyday

How many hundreds of hubs do you think they have sold, even if 100 break its still probably not a bad percentage of failed ones, your just being narrowminded and at least hope do something to sort it. Look at the deng hubs that tryed to copy hope, they started sh*t and still are because it takes too much effort to get mass produced taiwanese crap re designed. Id prefer my money to go to hope anyday

im not being narrow minded!

in salisbury 3 riders have got hope trilas hubs

basicaly i only trust one ,,,,,but not realy happy then.

when will someone acept that the first batch wernt right?

stop being loyal cause yours worked,,,,,,,,,a lot of people are fecked off!!!!!

simple as

Im not happy at all really seeing as this should of been picked up in testing, thats what its there for. Theres 3 riders includeing myself with pro2's in and around my area and all have broke. Some people close to hope i believe are saying its because spokes are been over tightened, matt rushton above got his wheel built by the same people hope use and his cracked.

shut up chris, they are awesome, its just the odd coupel that aer dying

So good that Hope revised it for 2007, having realised there were flaws with it (hence them saying they've "increased the strength by 10%")? Even the guy who said that he'd eat a Pro2T if it broke admitted that some of the bearings needed revising in it...

...the guy who said that he'd eat a Pro2T if it broke...

Hate to be that guys GP. He's gotta be shitting aluminium billet by now!!

To be fair, as much as I think hope are an amazing company, and there dealing with this the right way. (replacing the broken ones with the upgraded one without any hassle) I also think they didn't get it right first time.

Theres nothing wrong with that. All companies cock up once in a while, look at the VW Sharan (just kinda crap), the 2003 DJ3s (loads of them cracked at the crown from a machining error). Doesn't make VW or Marzocchi bad company's does it. So even the massive supporters of hope, I don't get the point in defending them in this case. It's a good hub, just they made the shell a bit thin, no big deal.

Im not happy at all really seeing as this should of been picked up in testing, thats what its there for. Theres 3 riders includeing myself with pro2's in and around my area and all have broke. Some people close to hope i believe are saying its because spokes are been over tightened, matt rushton above got his wheel built by the same people hope use and his cracked.

the guy who built rushys wheel does not build for hudson, you dork hudson, hes a private wheel builder, hope build most of theres in house..............................

ash

im not being narrow minded!

in salisbury 3 riders have got hope trilas hubs

basicaly i only trust one ,,,,,but not realy happy then.

when will someone acept that the first batch wernt right?

stop being loyal cause yours worked,,,,,,,,,a lot of people are fecked off!!!!!

simple as

Yeah good one. Go round slating them when you obviously don't actually know much about the situation.

2006 ones are weak around the hubshell near where the ratchet is housed. They upgraded the design and all the old ones were sold cheaper. They also upgrade to the new design for free once if you break the old one. HOPE ADMITTED THERE WAS A FAULT!

I guess your mates just keep getting the 2006 ones, or kept breaking them up until the new ones were being used to replace broken ones.

Well, this is the first hub shell of mine to break. But all the other problems I've had as well, in my heart I've started to lose faith that Hope is the way to go...

But logically speaking, I probably just got unlucky and 2007 will be fine. And most of the time I tend to override gut feeling with logic :D

I'll send it back to Hope and see how it goes.

Well Rob is on his third.. And I'll be on my Third as well - in about 12 months...
>_< Im still dumdfounded as to how a hub made from a solid billet of machined alu can just snap clean. would be interesting to see the science behind that like on CSI (Crime Scene Investigation). the last time i rode with you in london, you were using a red Pro hub, how come you switched to Pro2. or im i confusing with your trials comedy partner on the black Ashton? i forget his name. Edited by Rusevelt

>_< Im still dumdfounded as to how a hub made from a solid billet of machined alu can just snap clean. would be interesting to see the science behind that like on CSI (Crime Scene Investigation). the last time i rode with you in london, you were using a red Pro hub, how come you switched to Pro2. or im i confusing with your trials comedy partner on the black Ashton? i forget his name.

Darren? He was running a Pro II as well.

He was running an XC until recently though.

I think it's something to do with the grain in the aluminium.

the guy who built rushys wheel does not build for hudson, you dork hudson, hes a private wheel builder, hope build most of theres in house..............................

ash

Wtf mallet you on about I no that he doesn't build for me i build my own, and matty told me that he built for hope so was going off what he said i was only pointing out that if hope are saying it was becasue of over tightening and there own wheel builder built a wheel and the hub cracked on that then obviously thats a lame shit excuse. The fact is as i see it these things should have been picked up in testing, and if your paying 130 pounds for a hub it should last more than a few months in some cases, how ever good hopes after service care is.