The Car Thread

MadManMike

First port of call is to have a look at the connections to make sure they're good, but I think a new battery might be in order anyway, the terminals look a bit chewed up from where it wasn't strapped down and it moved around a lot.

If the wiring looks OK and a new battery doesn't solve the issue, I'll take a look at the relay. Adam mentioned the loud click being the starter solenoid, which is normally masked by the car starting up.

I can only really repeat what Adam said. It sounds a lot like the symptoms you get from your battery terminals being loose. Check they're tight and that the battery's earth strap is in good condition. Failing that, maybe check the engine's earth strap.

I've had to pull the Porsche's gearbox out to attack a bolt that snapped when I was taking the mounts off to fill them with polyurethane. On the bright side, it's let me pull the gear linkage out as it was hilariously warn out, leading to an impressively floppy gear stick. It'll all be getting replaced with rose joints, and I'll extend the gear stick and slightly reduce the fore/aft throw while I'm at it. If all goes to plan it should make it a little nicer to drive.

Oh, and this is an impressively slow responce, but Paul, the Saab wheels I bought are the same as these (but a little less mint):

M01415-002_003.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks chaps, I appreciate all the input!

In leaky roof news, I fitted that hardtop which has cured the leaking at the sides but I always knew the windscreen seal wasn't fantastic as it had a little lump where it wasn't sealed properly. I just lifted it slightly to see how bad it was and the whole seal came out easily. Very poorly fitted.

Tonight's job is to whack a load of RTV in there and seal it up, which should mean bone dry interior from then on!

It's not awful once it's finally loaded, but it takes an age to do so. Tell your buddy to run the site through http://tools.pingdom.com/ and then take a really good look at the issues there. Essentially it boils down to the fact that he's got some cheap hosting, and running a bog standard Wordpress install. Neither of those things are bad as such, completely usual in fact, but with a bit of reading and time he can get the site running snappily. 

Personally I buy from cleanyourcar.co.uk and I wouldn't swap over based on your friends site so far. It's a decent first effort, but I guess it needs a little work to look a little more pro. No digs intended here, just some advice from someone who both likes to clean their car and spends his time sorting this sort of stuff out.

• Like 1

In van news..

Only 81 sheets of silent coat to go! Then it's onto the 3mm acoustic underlay then 4mm carpet to finish. Probably have to remap it after all this to even get it to roll :lol:

Shame you don't live local.  I have 10+ sheets sat in my garage you could have cheap.

@Haz or anyone else local, got an inspection lamp I can borrow tonight? Loose clamp on the turbos water return hose means it's posing water out as quick as it pours in. Inlet manifold off job just to reattach and tighten it and I'll have to be doing it tonight after work in the dark / rain :(

Edited by Azarathal

Picking up an Ek9 ECU this weekend. 

Gasket kit and rings are on the way for my B16. Now left to source either ek9/integra valvetrain, or at least the valve springs and retainers to safely Rev to 9,000rpm. 

Could potentially have bagged myself a set of B18c camshafts too all being well. 

Need to find a gearbox in good condition with an LSD and I'll be happy. 

Set myself the challenge of having it ready to drop into the car the weekend following the 16th of next month. 

sam youve boosted your ek havent you? Howz the drivability of it with the turbo? Im possibly considering boosting my k20 i have emailed tdi north with engine spec to see sort of power my engine would quite happily take not looking for anything massive i recon 350 at the fly tops if it will take it. I see they have a turbo kit cost around £5k fully fitted and tuned but my engine will never take that and in front wheel drive i couldnt see it doing much other than spinning.

Just ordered up a nice new flocked dash board for the teg i really need to get the heating back in past few days with the rain aint been fun to drive with the windows steaming up. I seem to have got a new knocking sound also which needs investigated.

Sourced a leak on the inside and got some filler in the hole going to give the rear bootwell a paint get it looking nice again now that no water should be getting in.

Hopefully good weather this weekend so i can spend a day on the car but wont get my hopes up with how dire its been since monday.

Thanks for that JD I shall let him know.

Thats interesting about cleanyourcar.co.uk, are you saying that if the products where on that site you would be way more inclined to purchase them ?  

Its an abesolute minefield as you know and a lot of it is down to opinion which is what makes selling your own brand products so difficult to start with.

The website defiantly needs work though ! 

Edited by Rowlly21

sam youve boosted your ek havent you? Howz the drivability of it with the turbo? Im possibly considering boosting my k20 i have emailed tdi north with engine spec to see sort of power my engine would quite happily take not looking for anything massive i recon 350 at the fly tops if it will take it. I see they have a turbo kit cost around £5k fully fitted and tuned but my engine will never take that and in front wheel drive i couldnt see it doing much other than spinning.

Just ordered up a nice new flocked dash board for the teg i really need to get the heating back in past few days with the rain aint been fun to drive with the windows steaming up. I seem to have got a new knocking sound also which needs investigated.

Sourced a leak on the inside and got some filler in the hole going to give the rear bootwell a paint get it looking nice again now that no water should be getting in.

Hopefully good weather this weekend so i can spend a day on the car but wont get my hopes up with how dire its been since monday.

Liam has a boosted ek9, I'm swapping out my 1.4 for a moderately built N/A B16. 

350 at the wheels is easily achieved on a boosted K20. You could probably get more.  Done right with a proper "boost by gear" tune you could have a properly drivable setup as against what most do which is max HP and boost no matter what which as you say only translates into tonnes of wheel spin. 

Edited by SamKidney

Liam has a boosted ek9, I'm swapping out my 1.4 for a moderately built N/A B16. 

350 at the wheels is easily achieved on a boosted K20. You could probably get more.  Done right with a proper "boost by gear" tune you could have a properly drivable setup as against what most do which is max HP and boost no matter what which as you say only translates into tonnes of wheel spin. 

i knew it was 1 of u boys couldnt remeber which. I dont think i could push anywhere near 350 at the wheels since am still running high comp pistons. Dont want to rip the engine apart as its done about 5k since been rebuilt to lower the compression. 

i knew it was 1 of u boys couldnt remeber which. I dont think i could push anywhere near 350 at the wheels since am still running high comp pistons. Dont want to rip the engine apart as its done about 5k since been rebuilt to lower the compression. 

ah, was unaware that it had been rebuilt high comp. It'll likely need a rebuild in that case anyway to go boost. 

@Haz or anyone else local, got an inspection lamp I can borrow tonight? Loose clamp on the turbos water return hose means it's posing water out as quick as it pours in. Inlet manifold off job just to reattach and tighten it and I'll have to be doing it tonight after work in the dark / rain :(

Just seen this... I don't unfortunately, as I reversed over mine a few weeks back. 

Should be getting my order in for some Meister R Zeta R coilovers tonight. All being well I'll be collecting a rear disc conversion with some 262 callipers this weekend too. Just leaves me with finding a rear antiroll bar.

Need to get myself some extended ball joints to bring my roll centre back to standard along with some adjustable upper wishbones and rear camber arms so it's set to go in for a 4 point wheel alignment. 

Edited by SamKidney

yeah it's me with the boosted one, to be honest with you if I could start over again I'd sooner have a built k20 than boost.

Have you got a built gearbox, thought about changing your final drive to 5.1? If you haven't that's what I would do if it's already a high comp k20.