The Car Thread

MadManMike

Had the 1 Series remapped this afternoon. Definitely quicker, but the main thing is the turbo lag has been mostly mapped out. Liking it a lot. 

Anyone had any experience with the little 3 pen kits from halfords for chips? There's a couple of little bits that could be improved on the car, but definitely aren't worth spray work. If they're worth a go I'll get one. 

It's all about technique. @Haz did his using a tutorial on youtube with successful results 

Fairly certain it was this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xi3xmeO6C4

• Like 1

My wheel nuts I ordered last Wednesday morning have still failed to turn up. As a result I can't fit my 15"s so I'm still on 16"s with shitty mix and match tyres. 

Brake pads, what are people saying? Honda people seem to bum DS2500s but I've heard otherwise. Sure it was Greg with the Teg who went for another option as advised by you guys and seems to be getting on with them well. I've got what I think are some cheap eicher pads and they're bloody awful :lol:

yeh sam i ordered up ds2500 pads with a few guys on the forum rating them quite highly the cl5+ pads were also recomended by a few on there and with everyone on here saying get rid of the ds2500 i instantly cancelled my order and went with the cl5+.

Im running them with mb6 calippers up front. Have no complaints done knockhill with them between 20 and 25 laps and there still cracking pads for daily road use. They are a little bit noisy when gently breaking though but this doesnt bother me in the slightest. I think for fast road set up the ds2500 are meant to be a good pad just they supposidly fall apart on track. 

Im looking at upgrading to willwood set up on the front. Group by running at the minuite but its not looking likly for 10 guys to be involved :(.

What colour is it JD?

touching colours up is all about patience, too many people flood the chips then wonder why it looks shit. A touch up is basecoat then topped up with lacquer so your best bet is a touch up of colour then a touch up of lacquer separate.

Dab the colour in over 2/3 small doses within the chip, then build with lacquer till you've got a very slight bump where the chip used to be. Flat that little bitch down with a sheet of 2000 then bring it back up with your desired cutting compound. It's how I do it and without sounding too far up my own tailpipe they're usually pretty invisible.

What colour is it JD?

touching colours up is all about patience, too many people flood the chips then wonder why it looks shit. A touch up is basecoat then topped up with lacquer so your best bet is a touch up of colour then a touch up of lacquer separate.

Dab the colour in over 2/3 small doses within the chip, then build with lacquer till you've got a very slight bump where the chip used to be. Flat that little bitch down with a sheet of 2000 then bring it back up with your desired cutting compound. It's how I do it and without sounding too far up my own tailpipe they're usually pretty invisible.

It's "Sapphire Black" Tom. I went passed a Halfords earlier so I picked up a kit. I figured it'd be about taking it slow, so I won't get a chance to do it this weekend – I'll probably do it next weekend. The main thing is just to get the metal covered so I can stop any rust before it starts. 

There's a couple around the car that have only gone down to primer rather than metal. Do you reckon I can just wet sand them to spread the colour? I've heard that can work in some cases.

How do you mean spread the colour? Personally I'd just clean them thouroughly and get all the dirt and crud out (as lame as it sounds cotton bud are excellent for this). Grab some panel wipe too, it's just a solvent based degreaser to clean with, it won't harm your paint in anyway. Just lightly build the colour up on top of the bare metal, the solvent content in your touch up will slightly soften the surrounding area which will aid adhesion and your areas are that small they'll never really offer a problem. After that as I say just slowly build up till you've got a little bump made of lacquer that you can dress back and buff. 

The hardest part is your car's black, black shows everything but with a little time spent on it you should achieve a good result.

Edited by Tom Booth
  • Like 1

Car is lowered, not entirely sure how much though the front can't be more than 40mm as the ARB would be catching the driveshaft. Rear is quite a lot more as was 30mm lower before I even adjusted it. 

Also got chance to wash it farm style, pressure washer plus traffic film remover represent! 

DSC_0515.thumb.JPG.1d7033e50dc63293ba413DSC_0516.thumb.JPG.9483f8f846701e672dd46

• Like 2

anyone able to advise. I never noticed this before but on my dash i have battery which shows 14.5v and i have vbatt which sits around the 13.7 range whats the different between the 2 or should they both read the same? Im wandering weather my batterys nackered since the alternator packed in and its trying to charge it too 14.5 but its only holding 13.7 max.

yeh sam i ordered up ds2500 pads with a few guys on the forum rating them quite highly the cl5+ pads were also recomended by a few on there and with everyone on here saying get rid of the ds2500 i instantly cancelled my order and went with the cl5+.

Im running them with mb6 calippers up front. Have no complaints done knockhill with them between 20 and 25 laps and there still cracking pads for daily road use. They are a little bit noisy when gently breaking though but this doesnt bother me in the slightest. I think for fast road set up the ds2500 are meant to be a good pad just they supposidly fall apart on track. 

Im looking at upgrading to willwood set up on the front. Group by running at the minuite but its not looking likly for 10 guys to be involved :(.

Cheers! 

Im running a 282mm Prelude swap up front but the pads are definitely holding them back. Biggest I can fit beneath my 15"s unless I went with Meisters 286 kit but that's pointless haha. Good initial bite but loads of fade once you're using them properly.  I'm grabbing as much track time as I can next year at Cadwell, and hoping for another Curby visit to be arranged via here *cough* that id like to make the trip for, so a pad that will do everything sounds ideal. 

Got my steering tracked tonight, along with my 15"s and dropped a tad lower to suit. It's driving lovely, just need to get my b16 in. 

image.thumb.jpg.6efb707d7ead560fce9a5e85

Edited by SamKidney

If your going to give the cl5+ pads a go i would try clean your wheels quite often there meant to wreck them with dust coming off them and possibly same qith paint up the side od your car. Mines didnt squeek at all till after track day thought i was lucky not to have the squeek when i first put them on but it soon came ha.

Cheers azarathel will give that a whirl tomorrow. I know the vbatt has been on the climb since driving it around the battery stays at a solid 14.4-14.5 but the vbat drops to around 13.5 when i put indicators then climbs back to 13.7 when i switch them off so they both must be voltages from different parts of the car. Im 99 percent sure they read the same before my alternator packed in. Will report back tomorrow once i have checked the battery.

interesting things regarding Mx5

it must be NB and 1.6l. then the insurance is £550 per year. but for that I must register the car to Northern Ireland and saying that it is normally kept there. I can sort it out fairly easily, as 6 month and 1 day os over half a year, legally solved. thing is, it is through an insurance company who gives half the price than rest of the people. Last time I tried to buy a car and insure it with them, I edited, as they took my named driving as bonus, yet I had none, it jumped to over £1000...

I think I will not go that way, as I do not want to risk them to call me back in a month time saying that there was an error/my details were not right thanks to confused software error.

other options:

A keep current car running. probably if it pass MOT on the cheap this will be the option

B: change it something similar-ish until April (bonus 1). cars that I can consider:

Grande Punto 1.2 ( insurance is same)/ Golf 4 or similar year and style cars with a 1.4 engine (+20 per month.)

they are certeainly sweet problems, but problems non the less.