The Car Thread

MadManMike

I accidentally stumbled upon that meet in Aberdeen whilst staying with friends. Unfortunately I was with non-car people so didn't stick around but it looked fun.

I've just been speeding around the Highlands doing the western part of the North coast 500. So so good! I think TF should come up here rather than go to Curborough. :P

I put the old plate on retention when we got the new car, probably won't put it on the new car. Anyone want, or know someone who might want, PC02 BMW? Probably worth most to a copper with a bimmer. Niche.

I'm currently putting this back on the road...

image.jpg1_zpswvlgpxmn.jpg

It's cat D. My advise would be whatever you budget add £500 or so on top. Body shop bill was pretty reasonable, but mechanical parts I didn't expect at all have added up. Ridiculous things like ABS sensors and brake hoses are all little 10/20 quids but they soon add up to 3/400 if your not careful. The actual build though has been mad fun, I'm currently lining the back In silent coat deadening and carpet ready to use as a small day van to slip away with the bike etc.

• Like 1

The way that you have to seemingly click that weird button thing to get the website to actually load properly (at least for me) seems less than ideal...

It's barely even loading for me :P

Has anybody got any experience with Volvo S40s/V50s?

My mum saw one and offered to split it 50/50 with me, obviously couldn't refuse. In general very well looked after and in decent shape but there are some vibrations under full throttle (which my mum ofcourse didn't do during the test drive..). Sometimes less, sometimes more, seemingly random.

The rest of the time it's always okay. Tried disabling TC and it's not that interfering in any way, revving in neutral doesn't produce it either so I guess it's not the engine mounts, but what on earth do I know?.. I've only just had my first driving lesson today..

It's a FWD T5 model, 2004.5

Picking up an Ek9 ECU this weekend. 

Gasket kit and rings are on the way for my B16. Now left to source either ek9/integra valvetrain, or at least the valve springs and retainers to safely Rev to 9,000rpm. 

Could potentially have bagged myself a set of B18c camshafts too all being well. 

Need to find a gearbox in good condition with an LSD and I'll be happy. 

Set myself the challenge of having it ready to drop into the car the weekend following the 16th of next month. 

I got it at half past 3 on Monday, and drove it straight to the airport. Circling around to find a parking space that looked acceptable.

I found a space that seemed suitable, between two quite new and clean cars. 

I've spent the past 24 hours worrying about it being dented or scratched, I was very pleased to see that both cars I'd parked between hadn't moved, and it wasn't damaged in the car park.

I started it up, and instantly felt happy about being back with the thing.

Drove it home the long way on all the back roads having filled up with V Power, and it's hilariously bad to drive. 

12074998_1675366499345191_58931977039241

Overly firm, sat on top of it driving position, laughably large and overly thick steering wheel, ridiculous boost gauge plonked on the dash with a SHIFT UP light blinking at you, comedy ''sport'' button on the dash which does nothing but make the steering artificially heavy, pops and flames coming out of the hugely antisocial exhaust lighting up the rear view mirror and understeer so fit for the history books I'm sure something similar was recorded in the QE2's voyage reports.

It is a hilariously happy place to be though, very characterful and full of flaws. I'm not sure why anybody would buy one, I couldn't tell you a single good feature about it other than the exhaust. But for some reason I did, and I don't regret it after 29 hours and 107 miles of ownership. :lol: 

I guess it really is quite a lot like me. 

Not too familiar with fwd Volvos but you might want to look on volvoforums.org.uk to see if it's a known problem. 

Just vibrations and not any strange noises?

Yeah, just vibrations.

I'm also looking on Volvo specific forums but thought I've got nothing to lose to ask here. ;)

Looks like it might be the CVs being out of their operational angle. Or the engine mounts.

I'm sure I'll find out sometime. :P

In van news..

IMAG1338_zpswyvkkeat.jpg

Silent coat on the first wheel arch and window recess just around the arch on the floor to, trying to kill as much road noise as I can. 2 sheets on the window recess to finished off with roof flashing to finish the panel off. Rockwool crammed into the quarters too which has done an amazing job of killing noise/resonance, shame I didn't research it properly first to discover how absorbent it is. Gonna pull it all back out an try without it for the time being, worst case scenario is I pull the 2 wheel arch trims off and cram something else in there.

Only 81 sheets of silent coat to go! Then it's onto the 3mm acoustic underlay then 4mm carpet to finish. Probably have to remap it after all this to even get it to roll :lol:

Edited by Tom Booth
  • Like 1

My intermittent electrical fault is back and just as annoying as it was before.

Took a few minutes to get the car started again this morning.

So frustrating and I have no idea where to start with diagnosing the fault!

Check if it has fuel. Check if it has sparks. Go from there!

• Like 1

Check if it has fuel. Check if it has sparks. Go from there!

It's wiring related.

If you turn the car on (One click before starting the engine) I get lights, wipers, radio etc... If I then go for the click that starts the car, there's a loud click and everything goes dead. Give it a few seconds and you hear the stereo come back to life and the immobiliser starts flashing again.

The radio is then showing 1:00am, all settings lost. If you're lucky, you turn the key and it will start. If you're unlucky, you'll repeat the process a few times as I did this morning.

I'm 90% sure it's a wiring problem in the dash, because there are times where I'll indicate and it'll knock the stereo out for a second. Also, when I indicate, it's very hard to turn the indicators on without flashing the full beams.

Most things point towards a dodgy stalk, that'll be my first port of call. Seems odd that it would affect the whole car starting though, I'd have thought it would just mess with the lights.

Any thoughts?

We've recently re-done all the wiring in the boot (Where the battery is, for non-MX folk). When I say re-done, I mean disconnected it all and tidied it up. I also strapped my battery down as it wasn't strapped down before.

Sounds like that's a good place to start again then...

I hate electrical stuff, I like mechanical faults where you can see the problem and know what to replace!

If it's all dropping out with a loud click it sounds like a relay that isn't holding in, generally either through insufficient voltage or a shot relay.  I'm guessing that the radio resetting is probably because it's suffered a low voltage event and considerered itself unplugged from the battery.  I have low voltage at the moment (12 year old battery!) and cranking speed is low so starting isn't instant, it doesn't reset my stereo clock but it does make it lose the playlist position on the SD card and reverts to radio for the source; if I switch back to the SD card it has reset the playlist to the beginning.