The Car Thread

MadManMike

Bilsteins all the way. Rear coilover is nice, but on the whole I don't think the build quality of GAZ is up there with the Bilsteins.

Other option, and slightly more expensive, are BC coilovers, which have adjustable dampening. You can also pick your spring rates if you wanted.

3 hours ago, TROYston said:

Id be up for the track day. Really unsure weather to order GAZ GZA's or Bilsteins for the clio. Liking the idea of a rear coilover over spring and shock.

From the little time I spent in Dans car at Curborough earlier in the year you won't go far wrong with Bilsteins. Matched with Michelin Pilot Sport 3s it had loads of grip! 

Managed to cobble together an exhaust for the coupe today but Im really not happy with it :( 
Its far too loud, and the exhaust manifold I have sits both too low and too far to the right which throws everything off center. 

I'm going to hold out and buy a better exhaust manifold and take it to some one to make me up a track legal custom jobber that both sits and sounds right. 

So having had all my belts, pulleys, tensioners, etc, changed along with full service and all new seals all over the engine, just last week, my alternator has packed up. Woohoo!

Will be ordering a new one tomorrow and fitting Saturday, until then, I have to take the battery out of my car every night, and charge it in my flat, hahaha.

Until then, I'm basically running a loss, and I have about 3 worth of battery with headlights before it's out!

Over the next couple of weeks I have the following parts to fit:

New engine

New Clutch

Cam Cover Gasket

Cam Belt & Water Pump

Can't wait until she's all done :D

Total spent today: £692, which is parts and insurance. Bargain, but way too much to be spending in January.

Nice, seems pretty cheap. My insurance is weird, the mx5 is super cheap and the slowest volvo in the world is ridiculously expensive :-( 

I'm glad you're not planning the turbo conversion in the next few months, it would probably tempt me to do the same. As of now I'm still planning to get rid of the mazda in spring. 

My Porsche exhaust just broke in the middle, fortunately it was 15 miles from home so after a very loud and slow drive home with lots of horrid scraping I may actually be forced to do something about it...

I don't want to raise my car if I can help it therefore I need to raise my exhaust as much as possible as it scrapes rather a lot on the country roads I live along. Is there any disadvantage to oval tubing? There's a point where my exhaust has to go around my rear beam and ARB which has been flattened somewhat and therefore something lower profile would be handy. I'm also fitting some chunkier tyres which will raise me up a touch (and fill the arches), every little helps! Unfortunately a side exit exhaust is not an option....

No reason not to go with oval or rectangular tubing, your issue will be with connecting the different shape sections.  Changes in section profile will negatively affect gasflow/backpressure especially if there are any steps rather than smooth transisitons.

On the whole though, it's a road car and unlikely to realistically affect performance :)

Side exit not an option? Roof exit it is then :D

Edited by forteh
  • Like 1

Just ordered £215 worth of little goodies! Can't wait to get it all and add to my mountain of parts! Parts include brake pipe and fittings, switch, tools. Andddd battery relocation stuff. It's all coming together now. I just need clutch and belts doing now and it's good to go. Oh and mapping. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Pete.M said:

Nice, seems pretty cheap. My insurance is weird, the mx5 is super cheap and the slowest volvo in the world is ridiculously expensive :-( 

I'm glad you're not planning the turbo conversion in the next few months, it would probably tempt me to do the same. As of now I'm still planning to get rid of the mazda in spring. 

Believe me, if I had the funds, I'd start the conversion tomorrow!

How come you're looking to sell it in spring?

3 hours ago, forteh said:

No reason not to go with oval or rectangular tubing, your issue will be with connecting the different shape sections.  Changes in section profile will negatively affect gasflow/backpressure especially if there are any steps rather than smooth transisitons.

On the whole though, it's a road car and unlikely to realistically affect performance :)

Side exit not an option? Roof exit it is then :D

A lump hammer will convert the end of a round tube to oval won't it? If the negative affects will be fairly negligible then meh, I'm not chasing HP figures!

• Like 1

On 1/18/2017 at 10:51 PM, MadManMike said:

New engine arrives next Thursday.

I want to get it done really quickly, but have so much other stuff to do - it's gonna drive me nuts, knowing it's sat at my mates place waiting to go in!

Is there anything you can do to prep the engine for a turbo that's easier while it's out? 

I saw you've got a new clutch. Is that up to the turbo job?