The Car Thread

MadManMike

1 hour ago, MadManMike said:

I was told that if there should be / is one there, it needs to work. So Transits would be OK...

Not disputing it, but that was definitely the case for me.

That's true in the case of say, front headlamp washers (as Dan found on his Clio) but the rear washer/wiper/wiper blade isnt compulsory 

Edited by SamKidney

My golf gti went through a number of MOTs with nothing more than the stiff rubber backing strip acting as the rear wiper blade, my focus went through several MOTs without a working rear washer due to a split hose.  It'll be fine :)

Edited by forteh

Hmm, well its getting de wipered, if the backs not as much of a cnut as the front was, so ill get that done before it goes in.
BUT having non functional headlight washers IS a fail?????
Mine just dribbles out from them  24/7 until the bottle is empty... Takes exactly 6 days. Then use works screen wash to top it back up.
Although at the moment it needs new pumps and empties a full washer bottle in around 60 seconds, with a nice large puddle under the car.

The mx-5 engine now stutters periodically (every few seconds) and either stalls or nearly stalls unless I manage to keep it running long enough to get it warm, then it runs better. HT lead resistances seem reasonable, I know they're a typical culprit. Anything obvious spring to mind mx-5 people?

4 hours ago, Pete.M said:

The mx-5 engine now stutters periodically (every few seconds) and either stalls or nearly stalls unless I manage to keep it running long enough to get it warm, then it runs better. HT lead resistances seem reasonable, I know they're a typical culprit. Anything obvious spring to mind mx-5 people?

AFM playing up, possibly?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Pete.M said:

The only running issue I had with mine was similar, and turned out that the bolts holding down the coilpacks had come loose so it was only intermittently earthed

• Like 1

Compression tested an engine today with hesitant/lumpy running, 1 - 185 psi, 2 - 185 psi - 3 170 psi, 4 - 165 psi. Changed the plugs first, heading for a coilpack next but also considering the headgasket. Oil and water are both clean so it could have gone between the cylinders maybe. 

6n2 GTiiii 

Ideas?

Made a fair bit of progress this weekend weaving in and out of going out.

Found some steel in the back of the garage and cut it to size to fill this void.

As i'm moving back the gear stick and raising it up I needed to put the bolt directly where the hole would be for the original gear stick

20170127_150227_zpsw9gp4rfy.jpg

Welded that in (still got no gas and using the gasless setting so the welds are so sloppy) Works though. Still waiting on some alu tube to act as a riser for that.

20170129_150829_zpsfcowzct4.jpg

20170129_150835_zpsxfdgwmrb.jpg

Next step was to mock where I want my race battery.

20170129_162709_zps20pw4ggc.jpg

Rivnutted them. Best invention ever!

20170129_163918_zpstu4wrnkg.jpg

20170129_164930_zpshe479xqc.jpg

20170129_180553_zps17otckoa.jpg

Earth in

20170129_180558_zpsh3ix6zcy.jpg

Nicely got it in the grommet where the bonnet release usually goes

20170129_183159_zpsvhonyvlx.jpg

20170129_184504_zpsvjwp78ha.jpg

Final pics. Going to remove that horrible foam that sits on the gearstick at one point.

20170129_184524_zpsag0amaor.jpg

20170129_184510_zpsdqev0xvh.jpg

Cheers

• Like 3

On 28/01/2017 at 3:35 PM, Skoze said:

Bought a Jag XJ6. Year's MOT. £300. Hilarity to ensue. 

Lad. Open pipes, drive like a twat, have loads of fun presenting to be a gangster. Some of many ideas 

• Like 1

Should already be pretty fun out of the box. Weighs next to nothing and has a B16a2 VTEC lump in it so they're like a little rocket. 

Plan to get it all cleaned up, possibly drive it for a while and then flip it on. Though it would make a cool daily...

Got the photos through of the "CRX"... 

It's not the one I hoped :( 

It's a Del Sol CRX VTi... still B16 and all that jazz but not as sweet as a proper one. 

Bonus is that the parts are easier to get and it'll make an ace summer toy with the removable roof. Failing that I'm just going to break it for bits. 

Now sorely tempted to use the engine gearbox and driveshafts to revive my old blue Civic VTI as it's worth more in the long run as a complete motor compared the the Sol.... time will tell. 

Edited by SamKidney

So... bought myself an Mx, far earlier than anticipated but it was cheap and very local :)

highlights include a minidisc changer , leaky roof , hole in rear wheel arch , welded diff and a slightly dodgy first gear but apart from that it's a cool little car

Jasper Conran ltd edition mk2 1.8

IMG_0830.JPG

Love how it drives , but makes the Audi feel like pure luxury haha 

now got to pull my finger out and get the Ibiza through an mot to get some space to work on the 5! :) 

• Like 4

15 hours ago, SamKidney said:

Got the photos through of the "CRX"... 

It's not the one I hoped :( 

It's a Del Sol CRX VTi... still B16 and all that jazz but not as sweet as a proper one. 

Bonus is that the parts are easier to get and it'll make an ace summer toy with the removable roof. Failing that I'm just going to break it for bits. 

Now sorely tempted to use the engine gearbox and driveshafts to revive my old blue Civic VTI as it's worth more in the long run as a complete motor compared the the Sol.... time will tell. 

What did you think it was? a Mk1 CRX?  They never came with a B16a2 as far as i know just an a1. Shame all my del sol bits have now gone.

1 hour ago, Danny said:

What did you think it was? a Mk1 CRX?  They never came with a B16a2 as far as i know just an a1. Shame all my del sol bits have now gone.

Yeah that's why I asked him again. 

When he said it was a b16a2 thats when I twigged (after a while) it couldn't have been a Mk1. 

Still well cheap for what I could make back out of it.