The Car Thread

MadManMike

Finally had an hour or two to myself tonight so sorted some random jobs. 

The dangling fuse box you can see in previous photos was doing my head in. So with the spare carbon fibre I had I mounted the fuse box to it with an m5 bolt. Got some new bolts on the way that are stainless to tidy things up. 

20170202_214757_zps0jn2tfnm.jpg

It now matches the rest of the dash. 

20170202_214803_zpsbvgju8df.jpg

Fitted the bulkhead adapter through the back of the car for the brake line to pass through 

20170202_202922_zpsdpqtzbxy.jpg

From underneath 

20170202_215051_zpscfoqdyxv.jpg

Mounted the brake and clutch res bottles by riveting the bracket underneath the scuttle panel 

20170202_202901_zpsmpnfsfqk.jpg

20170202_202850_zpsxyxpz9yf.jpg

Starting to take shape now... 

20170202_223243_zpso3fyufng.jpg

20170202_223252_zpsoct8uroo.jpg

Weekend plans are to strip the parts off the engine like inlet and alternator etc and spray them. Got some paint from Halfords the other day. Gone for a generic silver but it should look good when it's all clean in the bay! 

Also got my number plate off as I'm drilling holes where it currently is

20170131_201650_zpshgf3f3mt.jpg

And got a stick on vinyl number plate on the way. 

• Like 1

Ive decided the Coupe is too rough to be worth spending more money on track parts for it so I'm concentrating those efforts on the Civic hatch back instead with a view for it to receive either this K20 or another one in a few months time. 

Tonight I refit the front half of the interior, namely the carpet, center console/armrest and door/sill trims. Also wired in my head unit and horn! 

Was suprised the DC5 shifter fit underneath the OEM center console. Ive had to lose the tray in front of the shifter but thats it, although Im going to try retro fit some plastic sheet in there on top of it to either blank it off or serve as a shallow tray. 

interiro.jpg

Edited by SamKidney

My new motor, Skoda Fabia Monte Carlo 1.6tdi. £20 to tax, 60mpg, insurance is £470 because I'm a hgv driver now and apparently we are high risk despite being qualified and trained upto the eyeballs 

IMG_0959.JPG

IMG_0958.JPG

• Like 1

13 hours ago, CurtisRider said:

Makes so much difference Dan, are you using disposable bottles?

It does mate! Can't wait to do more. Genuinely find it so rewarding! No I went a bit all out haha got the full shabang. But luckily not on a rental basis, deposit based and gas is only £30 for a refill on 230 bar bottles. He can deliver too. Really recommend him as he got me a sweet deal overall with the regulator etc. 

20170204_143606_zps00rzowux.jpg

I went to look at the mx5's ecu to see if I could diagnose a failure, only to find this boost controller thingy (no turbo sadly), fully wired in...this makes diagnosis a bit more difficult. Even the vacuum line is fully attached. 

Disconnected ecu, had a look at it, reconnected it, and now it doesn't run at all, it just turns over.

Kinda suspecting ecu but I'd like to get rid of that boost controller. Not sure how the original wiring is supposed to look but hopefully I can figure it out.

DSC_0371.JPG

On 1/29/2017 at 9:32 PM, bing said:

Lad. Open pipes, drive like a twat, have loads of fun presenting to be a gangster. Some of many ideas 

Picked it up on Friday so far i've managed to spend £100 driving to Birmingham and back. 

• Like 1

After a week or two off doing anything too major I've had a productive evening! 

My rear lights are wired in. I had wanted to get the correct looms but I had that many hatchback rear bulb holders I've wired them in using those. 

Exhaust is now chopped to length and only requires the reducer welding to the end of the exhaust manifold flexi, and the rear silencer* welding onto the back pipe. 

Everything under the bay is now 100% complete and as it will remain... I do need to refurbish the cam cover. 

IMG_0286.JPG

IMG_0287.JPG

* I use the term silencer loosely as it really offers no silencing qualities at all. I'm on the hunt for an alternative. 

Edited by SamKidney
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Adam@TartyBikes said:

Need more info... :D Finally someone else with a proper car ;)

Will update you when I've picked it up ;) 

(Presuming I haven't already killed myself that is)

Picking it up tomorrow night - won't be getting home 'til around 1am. Neighbours are going to love me....

• Like 1

Just got home, and I can confirm it is loud. Ended up pushing it into my garage so as not to piss everyone off...

So the spec (copy and paste from the ad) 

Engine - 205 Pinto block
5-Speed Type 9 Gearbox 
Extensively modified/rebuilt. 
Re-bored + 60 thou 
New Hepalite Pistons and new shells 
285 Piper Cam 
Injection Head - planed by 1mm then polished and ported 
Flywheel modified and lightened 
New Borg and Beck Clutch end of last year 
ZX9R/E motor bike carbs on a home made manifold set up at Bogg Bros on rolling road. 
140bhp at rear wheels. 
H & H Distributor 
Stainless steel MK exhaust 
Limited slip diff

First 2 things it needs: a quick rack and a fuel gauge! 

And I need a dry day to enjoy it! 

• Like 1

So when I said I need a nice day to enjoy it.... I couldn't resist - I went out in the rain! It's sooooo much fun. Had to be extremely careful, the back end kicked out a couple of times which gave me slight brown trousers. 

Couple of pictures of said car anyway: 

5VONC0BmAXQM3GIfsh4DMDW6fL19nAtkxSkEh0ty

s-l1600.jpg

(my girlfriend has aptly named it, Brum)

And when picking it up.....

swoopWey-52ARF8yvrDYfambQIEy0g9P7zKJ6m3e

Can't see the second picture but it looks awesome. Jealous. 

I swapped out the mx5's ecu and removed the boost timing controller. It runs! Still has a slight kangaroo action at lower revs and dodgy idle when cold. There could be some other problems lurking. I'll check the new plugs soon, since the last ones were black.