The Motorbike Thread

Si-man

Ha, well said Mike.

The bike is a 1957 frame, but the engine is earlier. I can't put a year on it yet but my dads sent the BSA OC a letter asking for dates.

I bought it at Beaulieu the other week, not running, crank case was full of oil but it wasn't seized.

Dad dropped the oil out of the crank and filled the tank up again, put a pair of plugs in it and cleaned the carb.

A bit of easy start down the bores left over night, and it started second kick. Happy with that.

I haven't ridden it yet, but my dad phoned me when it started. Dad says the brakes are non-existent, but they work pretty well for single leading drums, gearbox seems fine but he hasn't changed down gears at high RPM yet. But I need to find a clutch for it and a new set of cables.

Should be a decent thing to throw in the shed and pull out at weekends.

I'm quite into my old bikes, I've had a few in the past but only small things. Not many people know but my middle name is Vincent after my grandpa's series C Rapide, that my uncle now owns (his middle name is Vincent too).

I'm on the hunt for a cheap Hornet or 600 Bandit just to get me out and about a bit more, I haven't had a bike of my own for quite a few years now, I have ridden my dads BSA A7, his Bonneville (T140V) and his old Suzuki GS550 at the weekends but I just want one of my own again now I've sold the Golf.

Well you've got good taste in bikes it seems. Hope you enjoy it. Me and my dad dragged a 197cc Villiers-powered Norman out from behind the shed a few days ago. Sat there in the open for 10 years, not run for 20. Cleaned the oil residue out of the carb (from where the two-stroke mixture had evapourated), went on about the 10th kick, rode it round the field! I think that also is a '57.

• 1 month later...

Actually, having watched it again, Marquez's helmet does come into contact with Rossi's knee and Rossi may just be pushing him back up/away rather than just kicking out to knock him off as I originally thought. Rossi running him out and slowing him up so much was a bit of a dick move regardless of course. Would still like to see Vale get the title as he's still an awesome character and really don't like Lorenzo.

• 2 weeks later...

But Marquez did seem to be acting like a cock, he's also got a history of being too aggressive, he had nothing to lose where Rossi is close to winning his 10th title, Rossi didn't really help himself by mentioning it before the race though. Then again...Lorenzo has been seen being very chummy with Repsol Honda since the incident, Honda don't like Rossi, Repsol are Spanish, Marquez is Spanish, Lorenzo is Spanish, the final round is in Spain and Moto GP is owned by Dorna, who are Spanish....there's probably some bias going on.

I just hope Iannone or someone accidentally knocks Lorenzo off. If it rains I think Rossi will be champion and Jorge knows it.

Edited by LEON

Any suggestions as to where someone could watch the race live if they didn't have Sky or BT?...

Do you know anyone with BT sport? It'd be worth spending an hour at their house!

Yeah Tony it's a real shame but unless it rains or something happens to Lorenzo I just can't see Rossi doing it. If Lorenzo wins Rossi has to come 2nd, but if Lorenzo is 3rd Rossi only needs 5th and as Lorenzo drops down further Rossi needs to do less and less, hopefully people get in front of Lorenzo, he hasn't got the best record at Valencia!

Edited by LEON

Last I checked there was a way to watch buy access to individual races on the MotoGP website. Not sure about less 'correct' ways.

Cool, sorted :). A note to anyone else that fancies taking that approach- it's 'not available in our territory' so you have to use a VPN client type jobbie to pretend you're in Germany for example to see the options and make the purchase. Basically a tenner to cover Valencia and give access to all the videos until Monday.

• Like 1

New project time... a 1986 or 87 Honda NSR250R. It's in pretty poor shape, isn't running properly, needs lots of work.

It was interesting to ride what is, effectively, a two-stroke racing bike, and amazing how different it is in engine performance to my modern and non-standard CRF250 (which has the same engine as a CBR250). I daresay that in a straight line this would leave the CRF for dead.

nsr-2.thumb.jpg.6b6162b1d517a1a427cb31e8

nsr-1.thumb.jpg.8bc86458028bb50b84b90380

nsr-3.thumb.jpg.8ded738acda2d8414ff3f692

So far I've torn off the nasty cheap plastic fairing (it's a Chinese aftermarket one for a later model), got the carbs off too. I'm not convinced the 'RC' exhaust valves are working properly and I won't be surprised if there's a ton of muck in the carbs. I'm trying to avoid dropping the engine out and splitting the cases but everything else needs an overhaul, brakes, forks, wheels etc.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I wanted something a bit more practical (and two bikes wasn't enough) so I bought a Honda CRF250M super motard. For good measure I had the local shop order me a set of 250L enduro wheels, which I then had anodized gold and fitted out with some Pirelli MT-21 tyres, so now with a 10 minute wheel swap I have city and off-road riding covered. The bike is pretty fun actually - they sometimes get a bad rep for being underpowered but this one has had an aftermarket fuel controller and exhaust system and it's quick enough for me right now.

crf.jpg

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Tony Harrison said:

I wanted something a bit more practical (and two bikes wasn't enough) so I bought a Honda CRF250M super motard. For good measure I had the local shop order me a set of 250L enduro wheels, which I then had anodized gold and fitted out with some Pirelli MT-21 tyres, so now with a 10 minute wheel swap I have city and off-road riding covered. The bike is pretty fun actually - they sometimes get a bad rep for being underpowered but this one has had an aftermarket fuel controller and exhaust system and it's quick enough for me right now.

crf.jpg

Well, you b*****d. You've just made me feel very bad about my 250L. I need to change the red up a bit it would seem!

Edited by ManxTrialSpaz