Tf Computer Nerds (Gamers, Overclockers, Server-Ists Etc)

Muel

Thanks for the offer, but I probably wouldn't actually put any use into it. I don't get enough time to split between two sims and iRacing has got me hooked. That said, I might try a demo or something. Taking the code off of you would probably be wasting it though.

• Like 1

I think I have the CPU for the next build, and that is an i5 6600K

I was thinking about an i7 6700K/5820K but I do not need multithread that much, but I need singlethreaded work for a few softwares of mine

next question: ATX/mATX or mITX?

I think I have the CPU for the next build, and that is an i5 6600K

I was thinking about an i7 6700K/5820K but I do not need multithread that much, but I need singlethreaded work for a few softwares of mine

next question: ATX/mATX or mITX?

Unless you need to access the newer hardware pass-through stuff in Skylake (for passing hardware through to virtual machines) I honestly wouldn't both with skylake. £320 for the 6700k vs £240 for a 4790k, and performance wise they're pretty close.

As you want single threaded, I'd go for a 4790k over a 5820k. I have one and while it's an amazing workhorse, it's not clocked very high and is VERY hot and thirsty. 140w tbp vs the 4790k at 95w.

I'd go with mATX, purely because I have ATX and ITX systems and I really some of the new mATX systems, like the Phanteks Enthoo Evolv. My rule generally though is to choose a case first. That's the bit you see the most after all.

Unless you need to access the newer hardware pass-through stuff in Skylake (for passing hardware through to virtual machines) I honestly wouldn't both with skylake. £320 for the 6700k vs £240 for a 4790k, and performance wise they're pretty close.

As you want single threaded, I'd go for a 4790k over a 5820k. I have one and while it's an amazing workhorse, it's not clocked very high and is VERY hot and thirsty. 140w tbp vs the 4790k at 95w.

I'd go with mATX, purely because I have ATX and ITX systems and I really some of the new mATX systems, like the Phanteks Enthoo Evolv. My rule generally though is to choose a case first. That's the bit you see the most after all.

I am not really thinking about the high end range, as I do not need 12 threads or 8 as of matter of fact.

Games does not really utilize them and the softwares I use are mostly single threaded light programs (my 8320 works well)

although that 4790Ks price probably a tipping point for me. 

A: I am not interested in RAM speeds, I am not doing anything special

B: it is just a bit more expensive than i5 skylake

C: already have DDR3 RAM= money spared

I think I will get one....

about the motherboard, I am not sure. I love the options of the ATX cases, as there are tons of them.

I love that the mATX is a small ATX, so if i want to go SLI/CF I can, not too big not too small, and I like that case too...

ITX is just so weird that I like it a lot I think, but I do have plans to go watercooling, hence the ATX or mATX would make sense

I will do a bit more research I think

What sort of work do you do? DDR4 is a decent step up and worth considering IMO. I'd always go with hyperthreading CPUs as I've do plenty that use more than 4 threads.

I've done an ITX build for my minecraft server and pretty happy with it, but you are limited. They usually only come with 2 RAM slots and 1 PCIE slot for example. Wouldn't use it for my main desktop system, just to restricted.

If your 8320 works well, why upgrade?

What sort of work do you do? DDR4 is a decent step up and worth considering IMO. I'd always go with hyperthreading CPUs as I've do plenty that use more than 4 threads.

I've done an ITX build for my minecraft server and pretty happy with it, but you are limited. They usually only come with 2 RAM slots and 1 PCIE slot for example. Wouldn't use it for my main desktop system, just to restricted.

If your 8320 works well, why upgrade?

mainly coding and PCB design, as a hobby for now sadly, then it will be circuit simulation for school. 

ITX is more and interesting option, as the PC would be under the table

I just want to upgrade her a bit, while lowering the TDP :)

nothing too rational

hm i7 4790k and new  mobo= i5 6600k  with mobo and 8gb ram...

Edited by HippY

I'm adding another monitor, mounting it vertically. Currently have a 27" 1080 and a 18.5" 768 both 16:9. The ppi on these is almost the same meaning they work so well together. Pointer is at the same position when going from monitor to monitor and windows stay the same size. Can't decide if I should buy exactly the same 18.5" monitor to mount vertically, or use the current one for vertical and buy a new one to replace that. Issue is if I go any bigger no matter what I'm not going to have the same ppi unless I can find something bigger with a weird resolution to keep the ppi the same?

Is there software that would be able to manage different ppi monitors?

Have you checked you can run 3 monitors? Plenty of GPUs (both on-board and discreet) have multiple outputs but only support running 2 displays at once.

I wouldn't worry too much about PPI personally. I used different PPI monitors at home for years and my monitors at work are different now. You only notice if you're looking for it. If you do anything that spans displays (gaming etc) then you really should try to have monitors of the same make and model anyway (ideally from the same batch).

Have you checked you can run 3 monitors? Plenty of GPUs (both on-board and discreet) have multiple outputs but only support running 2 displays at once.

f**k! No I did not.

From what I've read you can, but depending on what output you have on the version you may or may not need an active adapter.

What GPU have you got? I've got one of these and it worked perfectly on my ATI HD5830 Crossfire and my current nVidia GTX960 SLI setups.

It has been a bit of a minefield for many years, and basically they had to cobble the extra port onto existing functionality/standards for some reason, and only the current nVidia 9** series really use new technology which allows you to connect 4 displays directly to the card, or daisy chain upto 4 monitors if they are compatible with the latest displayport standard.

That said, 3 monitors have been possible on most mid/high end graphics cards released in the last 5 years, so depending on what card you've got it could be possible. :)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102962

Need an active converter and I should be good from my research.

Hmmm, I'd be surprised depending on your config. My 5830 was 2 generations older than that and I didn't need an active adapter. I just used a DP to DVI passive adapter and a DVI to HDMI cable.

Still using it now on my GTX960 SLI setup and planning on buying another 2 adapters today so I can run my 3 main monitors all on displayport, so that I can use one of the other outputs to run my old 22" that I've mounted above the middle one.

Hmmm, I'd be surprised depending on your config. My 5830 was 2 generations older than that and I didn't need an active adapter. I just used a DP to DVI passive adapter and a DVI to HDMI cable.

Still using it now on my GTX960 SLI setup and planning on buying another 2 adapters today so I can run my 3 main monitors all on displayport, so that I can use one of the other outputs to run my old 22" that I've mounted above the middle one.

If not I'll just resell it on.

Some c**ts were in my back yard last night probably looking at a fat tire bike I have locked up out there. Shed door was open too.

3rd monitor will constantly have my security cam on there if not in use with anything else so I can keep an eye on shit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6GZudfrzqg

Edited by JT!

So I took my 18.5" and now have it set on an arm portrait. It's amazing how thin a 16:9 monitor actually is, and how much more noticeable it is when you're looking at it flipped 90 degrees.

It's pretty restrictive when it comes to regular use, and for things like facebook and TF where you'd think it would shine, it doesn't seem to be that much more advantageous.

It also isn't great that when they designed the monitor they only gave a crap about horizontal viewing angle and not vertical, so if you're not looking at it dead on it looks like shit.

The only positive thing I have to say about it is 'vertical video' looks good.

I ended up connecting the monitor into my motherboard, I didn't know you could have monitors running from your graphics card AND motherboard at the same time.

The passive adapter didn't seem to work.

So I took my 18.5" and now have it set on an arm portrait. It's amazing how thin a 16:9 monitor actually is, and how much more noticeable it is when you're looking at it flipped 90 degrees.

It's pretty restrictive when it comes to regular use, and for things like facebook and TF where you'd think it would shine, it doesn't seem to be that much more advantageous.

It also isn't great that when they designed the monitor they only gave a crap about horizontal viewing angle and not vertical, so if you're not looking at it dead on it looks like shit.

The only positive thing I have to say about it is 'vertical video' looks good.

I ended up connecting the monitor into my motherboard, I didn't know you could have monitors running from your graphics card AND motherboard at the same time.

The passive adapter didn't seem to work.

Oh yeh, you can do that as long as you aren't planning on gaming on that display connecting the two GPUs in crossfire/SLI.

My fourth display is getting wired up tonight all being well. :)

Never tried vertical displays. Doesn't appeal to me really.

So man bezels too.

I f**king love DiRT Rally at the moment.

When writing code or doing work you just don't notice they're there, and when gaming I don't know anyone who notices after a while. You still focus on the middle of the middle monitor so the outer ones just fill your peripheral vision anyway.

I've not played DiRT Rally yet. £32 on steam which is a bit tall for me atm, got too many other games to play through. :D I was looking for it in the summer sale but it didn't go cheap enough. Looks pretty awesome though.