F1

Fish-Finger-er

Somewhat confused what Webber was doing driving into the back of Heiki when he could've just driven up the inside of him... Would also like to see Alonso get angry and throw it into the wall, but then I always hope that :D.

Edit: f**ks sake. Ferrari International Assistance to the rescue again. Although what was Lewis thinking?!

Well if he would have kept on going it would have been fine.... it was just becase he slowed down that it became a problem! lol

Yeah exactly, however there's a good chance at that point, Lewis had no idea whether there was a major incident just after turn 1 so did the right thing by slowing slightly. He just slowed a liiiitle bit too much!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Oh dear what has Shumi done this time round, as i only watched the race up to where Hamilton retired.

He effectively tried to kill Rubens. After his stop Rubens was behind Shumi and was about 3 seconds a lap faster than him and closed right up behind. After a couple of failed overtaking attempts (which Rubens complainred to his team about how Schui was defending) Schui made a bit of a mistake on the last corner and Rubens had a really good run on him and pulled out on the right in order to pass him on the inside of the first corner. Halfway down the straight, however, Schui decided he wasn't happy about that so pushed Rubens right across the track to the extent that Rubens missed crashing into the pit wall by a couple of inches, was pushed into the exit of the pitlane and had to do a dirty dive to make it back onto the track before losing it on the grass at 200mph. One of the most dangerous moves I think I've ever seen in F1. The second probably being when he tried to kill Kubica in Canada earlier this year! The guy's a f**king douche.

• 4 weeks later...

Oh i'm sure he'll find a way amongst the mid-pack to cause mayhem as usual. I can especially see this happening if the merc isn't up to scratch and some of the minnow's try and take him on.

I hope he blows a disc and slides into a nice soft gravel pit, out of the way. That way the race can be raced, not risked.

at one point they were interlocked wheels any sudden change of speed by either would have caused a crash, also the visibility is massively impared in those cockpits, so he propbably wasn't aware quite how close it all came to disaster

at one point they were interlocked wheels any sudden change of speed by either would have caused a crash, also the visibility is massively impared in those cockpits, so he propbably wasn't aware quite how close it all came to disaster

Having watched it several times, there's no point where they're "interlocked", they just get close but side by side. Rubens had the option to back off quite early on, he didn't have to let it get like that if he couldn't handle that situation, which apparently he couldn't.

Equally Schumacher could've just not been a dick...

Yeah, people should probably not try diving up the inside of people in corners or going round the outside and forcing those on the inside to have to hold their line more. Come to think of it, they should try and eliminate all over-taking in F1. Oh, wait...

People seem to be making this a little more dramatic than it actually was. If Rubens was genuinely scared then he could've just backed off the throttle a bit?

By being a racing driver you are under risk all the time. By being a racing driver means you are racing with other people. And if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you are no longer a racing driver because we are competing, competing to win.

- Senna

Personally, I think it was a pretty stupid thing of Schumi to do. And it was also pretty stupid of Rubens to try and squeeze through, what if someone had been exiting the pits?

Edited by Mat Tea Why

Ok fair enough, when i watched it live, that was the impression i got, if you've reviewed it and I'm wrong then ok. Equally it was completely obvious to both drivers that rubens was going to pass schumacer, schumacer knew it and rubens knew it, yet he decided to risk both their lives for an inevitable pass for a single (non podium and non championship winning) place on the track. Ok, bring Senna's quote out again but it just doesn't apply (at least not in the direct interpretation as quoted from Ayrton) anymore I'm afraid.

I also conceed that the senna quote is applicable to Rubens too, he saw a chance and was completely commited to it, schumacer saw the inevitable and made a dangerous and futile attempt to block him. adimtedly, 'thats racing', but at the same time racing has a code of chivalry where respect should be shown to other drivers

Edited by shamus

he saw a chance and was completely commited to it,

How can you be 'completely committed' to a move on a completely straight piece of track where the only thing you need to do is accelerate or brake? He wasn't 'committed' to anything. He had the option for the entirety of the straight to back off and just wait for another opportunity, but he didn't and he didn't manage to overtake him.

That Senna quote doesn't apply here either. From seeing Senna's driving, I doubt he meant "If you think your car might be fractionally faster than a competitor's car on a straight you should probably try and overtake, not make it then cry about it over the radio." I somehow doubt Senna would've been whining over his team radio after that, and as a result of that I don't really see how that quote applies there...

Personally, I think it was a pretty stupid thing of Schumi to do. And it was also pretty stupid of Rubens to try and squeeze through, what if someone had been exiting the pits?

How can you be 'completely committed' to a move on a completely straight piece of track where the only thing you need to do is accelerate or brake? He wasn't 'committed' to anything. He had the option for the entirety of the straight to back off and just wait for another opportunity, but he didn't and he didn't manage to overtake him.

The thing was that the track is what, 7 or 8 car widths? Rubens exited the last corner maybe 5mph faster than Schui and was in the slipstream so by the time he pulled out was probably a good 10-12mph faster so should've been able to sail by. It wasn't a case of committing or not it was an completely inevitable clean passs waiting to happen. The problem with Schui's move is that he waited (or didn't see the move 'til too late (old eyes)) until Rubens was already alongside before moving to the right and didn't stop to give Rubens any room. That's not racing. There should be a respect between drivers and Schui has none and never has. 94 with damon, 96 with Jacques, Kubica in Canada this year, Rubens this year to name the few I can easily recall.

Ayrton was a racer through and through and made some very questionable moves in his time but he was such a deep, spiritual guy you always knew he had a massive respect for all the drivers around him (except maybe Alain). Schumacher has the single-minded desire to win but with zero concept of where to draw the line.

That Senna quote doesn't apply here either. From seeing Senna's driving, I doubt he meant "If you think your car might be fractionally faster than a competitor's car on a straight you should probably try and overtake, not make it then cry about it over the radio." I somehow doubt Senna would've been whining over his team radio after that, and as a result of that I don't really see how that quote applies there...

It makes perfect sense. Your post that I quoted asked about whether Rubens was scared and could have just backed off the throttle - he is a racing driver, so if he sees a gap in which he can pass then he is going to try and make it through there.

Besides he wasn't fractionally faster, he was considerably faster. When he pulled out of the slip stream he had overtaken schumi within about 2 or 3 seconds, which is more than enough for that situation.

I saw that clip, Schumi wasn't closing the door, he was trying to force Rubens into the wall! He moved off the racing line to try and force him to back off.

Should have been banned for the rest of the season if you ask me, but then again, what do I know. :P