Bikes In Uni Halls....?

JonCongreve

I've tried searching but i couldn't find anything that was useful.

I should be going to Sheffield Hallam university next year and i will definately want to take my bike. I'm not keen on leaving it in the providied bike storage/shed as i can imagine that anyone can go in there etc.

Ideally i would like to keep it in my room (i know it will get in the way, but this will be safest), but i guess that most places won't alllow. What does everyone who goes to uni and takes their bike do?

I should be going to Sheffield Hallam university next year and i will definately want to take my bike. I'm not keen on leaving it in the providied bike storage/shed as i can imagine that anyone can go in there etc.

Ideally i would like to keep it in my room (i know it will get in the way, but this will be safest), but i guess that most places won't alllow. What does everyone who goes to uni and takes their bike do?

A guy i know locks his in the shed: its secured by a keycode door.

I guess if there's space, you could bring it inside, but it would have to be out of the way, due to fire regulations. If the wheels are QR, whip them off.

Last year I was in halls, had my jump bike and trials rig with me.

Here they have a brand new glass dome style thang going on with a magnetic key to get in. Thats where my jump bike went, and about 3 other trials bikes from other users of the forum.

They also had a brick shed with a substantial door with a normal key to get in. This is where I kept my trials bike (preferentially, thought it'd be a good idea if no one could see my bike)

Both bikes were locked to the racks using Kryptonite locks.

Never had any problems.

I did bring it into my room now and again for maintainance, and as long as no one saw me take it in there, there were no problems as my room wasn't checked and it was big enough to sling behind the door and forget about.

Always kept mine in my room, except when I knew there were going to be room inspections. Never had any hassle, just had to be a little careful hauling it up and down the stairs. Another option is to keep the wheels off when in your room and if anyone moans just say you're fixing it or whatever. Know people who did that but then stored the whole lot in their wardrobe too... Be wary of bike 'cages' and the liek at Unis- a few times while I was an undergrad professional criminals just cut holes out of the cage, cut the locks and knicked thousands of pounds worth of bikes. Not good.

I always kept mine in my room without exceptions. Two bikes were stolen from the "lock up" in my halls within the first week and I wasn't going to risk it. As for room inspections I either planned to have someone stay the night and/or (preferably and) to answer the door after considerable time (or let them open it) and find me with almost nothing on (picture first sleep over scene in You, Me and Dupree).

Win.

dude, im at sheffield uni and i have 2 bikes in my room, my rooms tiny, right now im the filling in a cold, metallic, trials sandwich. Mates bike got nicked from the rack so i dont trust them. When it comes time for inspection i just leave them in other peoples rooms for the night. Theres a rider from hallam who i know kept his bike in his hall room so you should be fine.

Dont take it up for the first few weeks though,

Bob

froont wheel off, and bike slides under the bed, kept it in the uni bike cage in the first term when i didnt dare bring it into halls, then we got used to the lack of security and just dragged it in and out whenever.. cleaner doesnt even say anything:)

managed to fit both 20 and 26 bikes under the bed. havent tried stuffing both in at the same time though

Edited by TheChai

Had my ashton locked up downstairs, with a proper big lock, was fine for the 8ish months then came down to find the lock on the floor and no bike. Took them a few goes but they got it near the actual lock.

The inspired will be staying in my room from now on.

Just keep it in your room. When you have a room inspection, which I'm assuming will only be a maximum of 3 times a year (i.e roughly one per semester) put it outside or in another mates room, or in the wardrobe with the wheels off (the option I chose). That'll work fine in most places. My room didnt get cleaned by halls staff though - we did it ourselves so there weren't any pesky cleaners to complain, but if your room is cleaned, just get on the good side of your cleaners and they won't be too bothered.

Certainly wouldn't risk leaving it outside - the walls and door of my halls bike shed were built like a bank vaults, but the guy who designed it had put a corrugated iron roof on the top. The theives simply climbed onto the roof and cut a hole in it before lifting out every bike of value.

Edited by Rumplestiltskin

the walls and door of my halls bike shed were built like a bank vaults, but the guy who designed it had put a corrugated iron roof on the top.

A sensible person would've made it vault-like all over.

I guess if you keep your room clean yourself, then that would make the cleaners happier, so you could get away with it in your room.

I kept mine in my room. If you're mainly riding street, it should stay mud-free (which is probably their biggest concern). Take the front wheel out, find a home for it.

The only rationale they could have for not allowing you to have a bike in there, is that of dirt. In which case, your response is that you have paid a deposit to cover any damage - whether it be from vomiting snake bite all over the floor, spilling curry, or being stupid enough to bleed your brakes over the carpet :)

Been told off for it twice.

More or less ignored the silly bitch.

It's still here, although I've now put it in the flat's storeroom. Waiting to see if she can come up with some bullshit excuse to fine me for it.

I didn't think this many people would reply, it's good to hear what others do with their bikes.

No matter how safe that they say that the bike sheds/rooms are I have always been put off keeping my bike in one. I like some people's suggestions with room inspections...especially Smo's ha. It would be good if i could keep my bike under my bed therefore it's hidden better and takes up less space.

thanks for all your advice :)

The only rationale they could have for not allowing you to have a bike in there, is that of dirt. In which case, your response is that you have paid a deposit to cover any damage - whether it be from vomiting snake bite all over the floor, spilling curry, or being stupid enough to bleed your brakes over the carpet :)

Wasn't allowed to take mine up to my room because it could be a fire hazard :ermm: but managed to get 3 bikes in there at one point without them noticing. They won't kick you out or anything if they were anything like where I was, even the guy that lived next door to me that broke into the washing machines and nicked all the coins that is now in prison still has the room.

Im at hallam too, do you know which halls your in?

I stayed at Charlotte Court in my first year and i just kept my bike in my room and it was fine

Ah cool. I'll be applying for Charlotte Court, Bramall Court and somewhere else. Did you get many room inspections? I'll have to give you a pm nearer the time about riding :)

To what someone said earlier...i wasn't thinking of taking my bike until i get settled in after about 3 weeks.

Ah cool. I'll be applying for Charlotte Court, Bramall Court and somewhere else. Did you get many room inspections? I'll have to give you a pm nearer the time about riding :)

To what someone said earlier...i wasn't thinking of taking my bike until i get settled in after about 3 weeks.

We didn't get any room inspections, only the living room and kitchen area got inspected and that was no more that twice the whole time i lived there. I imagine Bramall court to be pretty similar, you really shouldn't have any problems keeping your bike in your room.

Sorry but i only ride bmx now, but your welcome to come riding with me. What course you going to be doing btw?

If at all possible, take it when you get there.

I'd have been lost in Bristol without my bike if I didn't have it with me when I started! For the first month I only knew my way around if I went via a sequence of riding spots (a specific sequence at that; Castle Park, Centre, Lloyds and reverse to get home)

Without the bike I wouldn't have met so many people that I'd now consider pretty good friends :)

I don't get the point in room inspections. What are they for? I never had them, and my bike went under my bed :)

Speaking as someone who worked as a cleaner cleaning flats after everyone moved out of halls, they're so that the properly unhygienic people who stay at halls can't entirely f**k their rooms up. If you get checked once every few months, then it's pretty hard for it to get to the stage where they have to rip the entire room apart and put down new carpets, re-do the en suite (If you have one), etc. Seriously, some of the rooms I had to clean were so bad I don't see how they passed the inspections. Shit caked 2inches deep on toilets, mould entirely covering any horizontal (and some vertical) surfaces in bathrooms, carpets entirely f**ked, massive balls of hair everywhere, etc.

I'm moving back into halls for my third year, and my BMX is gonna live in my room but my get-around road bike's gonna live outside.

I stayed at Tom Chilver's flat at Sheffield uni and he kept his bike in his room and didn't seem to have any problems with it?

Out of interest are you going back to halls mainly due to increased expenses in sharing a house ?

Nah, not really. Halls for me is going to be £106 a week, so it's basically the same price as sharing a house once you've factored in bills for the house. Presently, I'm paying £430 a month incl. bills, so in halls it'll be almost identical. I'm back in halls 'cos it's 5 mins max from Southbank, 2 mins at most from uni, and it's just simple, really. I don't have to deal with mice f**king about in my flat myself (Not least 'cos there won't be any in halls), if the shower gets f**ked around I won't have to try and fix it myself (And I'll have my own en suite so it'll be TNT), I won't have to try and arrange times with my landlord every month to pay him my rent in cash, etc. - it's just a load easier, and I figured for my third year I'd rather be either doing my work/faking doing my work rather than having to try and sort out where I'm living constantly.