Day Insure

Tom_

Basically, a car needs to be retrieved from bath, and the only real way is getting a lift there and driving it back, but since itl be a project car, no long term insurance is needed. There are plenty of day insurance companys but most seem to do 18 or 21+'s.

Does anyone know of a day insurance company that will insure a 17 year old?

As above, get someone else to drive it.

Get it registered in your name, and then anyone else with fully comp can drive it back for you.

Not always. The car NEEDS to have a policy taken out on it, by someone, for someone else to drive it off their own insurance with 3rd party cover.

Not always. The car NEEDS to have a policy taken out on it, by someone, for someone else to drive it off their own insurance with 3rd party cover.

Common Misconception - check your policy document, or phone your insurance company for details - ask them to point out where in their T&C it actually says this!

Jon

Common Misconception - check your policy document, or phone your insurance company for details - ask them to point out where in their T&C it actually says this!

Jon

i thought the same

watched traffic cops and they pulled a car with no insurance, but was being driven back home from an MOT by a mechanic with traders insurance

Thing to do is to phone up and arrange the quote.

Then phone up when you get there and give them the OK to start the policy, and pay the deposit over the phone.

Drive it home insured then cancel it when you get back. You loose the Deposit/first months worth but it's a legal way of getting your car back.

I did it a fair few times before I got T/I.

Job done.

Thing to do is to phone up and arrange the quote.

Then phone up when you get there and give them the OK to start the policy, and pay the deposit over the phone.

Drive it home insured then cancel it when you get back. You loose the Deposit/first months worth but it's a legal way of getting your car back.

I thought insurance had to come with a 14 day 'cooling off period' whereby you can cancel within the first two weeks and only pay the cancellation fee and time on cover or whatnot?

I thought insurance had to come with a 14 day 'cooling off period' whereby you can cancel within the first two weeks and only pay the cancellation fee and time on cover or whatnot?

Possibly, it'd be even cheaper for him then :)

It's the only 100% legal way I know of getting short term insurance if your under 25. ;)

Yeah, mine with Adrian flux said about a cooling off period, during which if you cancelled you would be charged for the correct proportion of the time you actually were insured for, and a small fixed cancellation fee. The time this can bite you in the ass is if you were involved in an accident they can refuse to let you stop paying the policy and make you pay the full 12 months, which could work out rather pricey! But yeah, its the best way by the sounds of it, unless the current owner is still insured, in which case a fully comp/T.I. mate is the best bet really.

Ususally you'll have to pay a 2 month deposit...I'm not sure if this is returned if you cancel within the 14 day period.

However, search around on the net, there are companies who do short term insurance...I saw an advert in the toilets in my local pub about short term insurance - it was about a week minimum or something like that, I can't remember for the life of me what it was called but I'll find out for you.

Jon

It's not, otherwise everyone would buy Fiat panda's, get policies on them and drive ferrari's round covered third party...

The Ferrari must have an Insurance policy held against it, by someone. Doesn't have to be the owner,just somebody...

It's not, otherwise everyone would buy Fiat panda's, get policies on them and drive ferrari's round covered third party...

To be honest, I'm not sure everyone would be able to afford to drive a Ferrari ;)

I agree though - I'm sure this is the case, perhaps with the exception of traders policies. The car being driven must be covered by a proper policy of it's own.

I saw an advert in the toilets in my local pub about short term insurance - it was about a week minimum or something like that, I can't remember for the life of me what it was called but I'll find out for you.

never have i heard such a good excuse to be in the pub

To be honest, I'm not sure everyone would be able to afford to drive a Ferrari ;)

I agree though - I'm sure this is the case, perhaps with the exception of traders policies. The car being driven must be covered by a proper policy of it's own.

I can understand where you're coming from, but I'd be prepared to argue my case in court. If it's not stated as a requirement on the certificate, or in the terms and conditions of the insurance, then I don't see how they can enforce it.

However, what I have seen is that it varies from company to company.

If you owned a Ferrari, would you only insure it 3rd party?!

Jon

I hear what you are saying Jon, but it MUST be a legal requirement in some way.....

Otherwise I'd just have 1 policy on a mini I cut up years ago, and drive everything else round without paying the premiums.....

I understand your point, but I feel that it MUST be a legal requirement for sure. Otherwise, it's just lunacy.

As far as driving others cars goes though, Interestingly, I was given it as part of my classic car policy on the Mini, and again, through a different insurance company (same broker) on the Polo, yet not on the audi.

Insurance is dodgy at the best of times, I think they should simplify it.

A driver registration scheme would solve all the no cover or licence BS, basically a government run scheme in which each driver would have their own set of plates, an annual renewal fee would be required, third party insurance would be included - similar to the scheme operated in Australia. Done.

Back to the issue, no day insurance readily available for <21, take out a policy and cancel it - possibly, or get it on a lorry.