• 10-20
    • 20-30
    • 30-40
    • 40-50
    • 50-60
    • 60-80
    • 80-100
    • 100+

They only reason onza experimented with a frame where you could take the chain off without breaking it was because they were wanting to try belt drive.

(Y)

Not true. We had the frame design long before the idea of using a belt drive. The belt drive supplier came to us and suggested that it would be an ideal vehicle to experiment with belt drives. As well as a trials frame, we also had a 24/26 Conspiracy dirt jump frame with the same concept, both of which ideas ,incidentally, have not been completely consigned to the scrap heap.

TGS 24 is a good idea, not sure why they haven't made one for shorter people who like to ride stock or the people that switch between the two constantly. I know it's traditional to have a streety 24" but I can't think of any reasons why a 24" proper trials bike wouldn't work well.

Good on you for thinking though - it'd be great to see some more 'trials' orientated 24" bikes out there for sure. :)

I agree with these 2 statements entirely.

Voted. People expecting a reliable, sub 300g, 144 engagement point hub for under £300 should go and live on Mars :P

I agree with this statement as a fact, however I don't see why it could not happen other than shareholders/company owners greed.

Are you saying manufacturing cost is directly related to the amount of engagements to the tune of twice the cost to manufacture?

Development costs should be no more than a more standard hub if the design is right and with FMEA becoming the norm without prototyping, development costs have been cut considerably in all manufacturing markets.

Materials cost may be a bigger factor but not enough to warrant the hike of 100% in cost to the customer.

Machining cost would be pretty much identical

Kings are that expensive because they are a unique design and Kings design is exclusive to King hubs, you cannot go and buy an alternative King hub therefore you have to buy a King hub so you have to pay what they are asking.

That's like saying when you pay for a hooker you are paying for the air in the hole not the girl that surrounds it.

Or maybe not.........

If you are saying that there is no way it will be priced below £300 for the same reason as King hubs then I agree entirely with this statement.

Voted by the way :P

why do you need a frame that the chain can be taken off without breaking ? surely the only time you break a chain is when you put it on - when do you ever need to take it off other than when putting a new one on ?

When spraying a frame... That's the only time I've ever done it although it's often replaced with a new one anyway so no real worries there. Agreed though- seems like a silly idea as the only way you could do it really is by making the frame heavier and very possibly weaker by adding in a removable section or 'split'. Doesn't make sense for the sake of a problem which doesn't really exist.

*stuff*

I'd be considerably more concerned about the reliability of a hub that's that light, with that many engagement points. If there's that little material in the hub (to make it that light), then it just seems like it'd be a bit sketchy.

Regarding costs, it's not really just a case of multiplying the cost to the manufacturer compared to the engagement points, especially if you're trying to make it that light. All the pawls (if it had them) would need to be very precisely made if you have a ratchet that's that shallow. With the earlier protos of the Tensile 96, they used the same pawls as the 60 click and it just didn't work 'cos the ratchet was a bit shallower.