Danny Macaskill

RazGman

Q: What's cool about BMX?

A: Nailing lines

Q: What's cool about trials?

A: For most people unfortunately, getting that extra inch.

So, you base a BMX game around tricks and lines. And you base a trials game around getting that extra inch. How does anyone intend do to that and make it fun for whoever is going to play the game?

Danny Macaskill: The Video Game would in principal be like Dave Mirra.

But you wouldn't make it all a TGS street ride would you? Courses, checkpoints, time limits. Suggesting to make a game where you have to ride around a city in the style of Skate/Skate 2 doing TGS moves in front of pre-pubescants with Fisheye lenses would be so mind numbingly boring it'd be unreal.

However, making the controls simple to pick up and the objectives/courses overly exagerated would make it far more appealing to the masses and ultimately more profitable. You wouldn't be worrying about getting an extra stat point to give you one more cm it'd be like getting a foot higher. Leaping across rooftops on a bike and flying from rail to rail would be a feasible scenario.

Youtube Video ->
">
" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350">

I think it would be awesome, I'm just imagining the controls almost like the controls for Skate.

Imagine that your left stick controls your upper body (so that would be pulling the bars into you, away from you, whatever move you may be doing), your right stick controls your lower body movement (so that would be where your arse is positioned when balancing the bike, or when you go for a gap or tuck), and then finally your left trigger can act as your brakes, whilst the right trigger acts as a pedal kick.

But no matter how good an idea it is, or how much I would like it to happen, I personally don't think it will.

have you ever played mirrors edge?

Yep, that's why i feel i can comment on it. The storyline was shit, the graphics were a little odd but quite modern and the gameplay itself was great although very repetitive. Introducing a levelling system and upgrades would solve the repetition and having a career based storyline of going from small town punk to worldwide fame and fortune, while not being original, would be far better than some people who collect briefcases and shit.

It's a shit idea.

Why do trials on a computer?

I thought all the fun of trials was the riding bit.

I was in Newport Skatepark a couple of years ago on my BMX and my mate went over the funbox and backflipped it, this kid next to me goes " I can do that, it's easy." with complete conviction.

So I'm thinking wow this kid (about 14 by the way) can do backflips!

So I said "Cool, go on then little dude."

His answer:- "Oh, I can do it on my playstation not here"

WTF????????

He was totally mixed up between reality and a game.

This is happening too much.

Kids heads are getting f**ked up over it, they would rather play football, basketball, BMX, Skate and whatever in their living room than do it for real, because it is piss easy and takes no real effort to do it.

Why spoil trials too?

A trials game would be so boring it would be unreal, 8-10 years ago in the trialskings era is more realistic with the fast pace but even then I'd pick a bmx game everytime, but not the way trials is now.

Suppose you could use the "visit the shop" option to buy an angle grinder, spare echo urbans, pink rims, skinny jeans etc, every 6 hours of gameplay gets you an inch on your sidehops.

It's a shit idea.

Why do trials on a computer?

I thought all the fun of trials was the riding bit.

I was in Newport Skatepark a couple of years ago on my BMX and my mate went over the funbox and backflipped it, this kid next to me goes " I can do that, it's easy." with complete conviction.

So I'm thinking wow this kid (about 14 by the way) can do backflips!

So I said "Cool, go on then little dude."

His answer:- "Oh, I can do it on my playstation not here"

WTF????????

He was totally mixed up between reality and a game.

This is happening too much.

Kids heads are getting f**ked up over it, they would rather play football, basketball, BMX, Skate and whatever in their living room than do it for real, because it is piss easy and takes no real effort to do it.

Why spoil trials too?

Amen to that.

In theory its a good idea, but to be able to do it would be so hard. Because of the amount of things being done at once, e.g. pulling in brakes, balancing, shifting body weight blah blah blah. Unlike BMX games where you just get speed and do a button combo to do moves or whatever.

It wont work.

However, Moto Racer 3 has motorbike trials in it.

Bunch of wangers thinking that any game is realistic.

When was the last time you got mortally injured then just regenerated into another part of the local area?

When was the last time you f**ked up a corner, flipped your car, and pressed the back button to rewind to when it was ok?

In theory its a good idea, but to be able to do it would be so hard. Because of the amount of things being done at once, e.g. pulling in brakes, balancing, shifting body weight blah blah blah. Unlike BMX games where you just get speed and do a button combo to do moves or whatever.

Yeah, but a game has to be optimised to make it intuitive to play. You need to hold your brake for most moves so that would be applied automatically. To someone who knows what they're doing and not just some bunch of kids nitpicking over every little thing thinking they know how to make a good computer game it would be very feasible. I mean, where is the button to pull the brake in dave mirra when you're doing tricks... oh wait, it's applied automatically.

The controls are do-able, the concept is pretty good, the sport is unique and hasn't been done on a large scale game before. Given some decent input from knowledgeable riders and making it how trials ought to be, not how 90% of people do a street ride these days it'd be a good game. No doubt about it. Unfortunately most people are so wrapped up in thinking about things on a small scale like having individual buttons for brakes and controlling every little movement with a separate button and about how trials is ONLY about going an extra inch higher than you last did further down your wall that they can't seem to grasp that things need simplifying in order to make it feasible.

Yeah, but a game has to be optimised to make it intuitive to play. You need to hold your brake for most moves so that would be applied automatically. To someone who knows what they're doing and not just some bunch of kids nitpicking over every little thing thinking they know how to make a good computer game it would be very feasible. I mean, where is the button to pull the brake in dave mirra when you're doing tricks... oh wait, it's applied automatically.

The controls are do-able, the concept is pretty good, the sport is unique and hasn't been done on a large scale game before. Given some decent input from knowledgeable riders and making it how trials ought to be, not how 90% of people do a street ride these days it'd be a good game. No doubt about it. Unfortunately most people are so wrapped up in thinking about things on a small scale like having individual buttons for brakes and controlling every little movement with a separate button and about how trials is ONLY about going an extra inch higher than you last did further down your wall that they can't seem to grasp that things need simplifying in order to make it feasible.

Yeah, your right but I just cant see it happening. I suppose it could be done and it would be real neat if they did. But...... I dunno.

1zd94sm.jpg

2h55yl3.jpg

Very easily done! On a similar process to this - Moto Racer 3. It had a trials section in the game, of course it was utter shit, but the point remains that many people bought this game purely for the trials element.

Surely a sort of similar theme of Tony Hawks games but with a trials bike; I think it would be very easy to make - but if they make it remotely decent is another thing. I can just see anything like this being overly American; getting 'dude' and 'extreme' in at every chance.

Look at the Tony Hawks games - the early ones were pretty enjoyable, but the newer ones on PS3 are shocking.

A trials game would be so boring it would be unreal, 8-10 years ago in the trialskings era is more realistic with the fast pace but even then I'd pick a bmx game everytime, but not the way trials is now.

Suppose you could use the "visit the shop" option to buy an angle grinder, spare echo urbans, pink rims, skinny jeans etc, every 6 hours of gameplay gets you an inch on your sidehops.

:giggle:

A TGS trials game would be more boring than TGS in real life which beggars belief.

Bunch of wangers thinking that any game is realistic.

When was the last time you got mortally injured then just regenerated into another part of the local area?

When was the last time you f**ked up a corner, flipped your car, and pressed the back button to rewind to when it was ok?

:lol:

I think it could be done and if done properly could be a very good game but it is still silly when you can go out and ride a real bike, in real life.

You can hop up a wall and down again and hop up it and down again and hop up it and down again............and it wouldn't cost any electricity.

I'm not against computer games as such, I got a wii and its a right laugh and it would be good if it was pissing down or snowing or your injured.

well yeah like i say it would definatly have to have some thought go into it to make it apeal to more people.

instead of just kids who play games it could be possible to get real trials riders playing it but only for the 'over the top' riding style you could try tricks that wont be possible in real life

trials hd for xbox is a sweeet game, ino alot of people who ride moto trials and love to play that game when there at home, just because you do the sport in real life osnt mean you wont enjoy it, could be good for the more creative riders too, giving you more imagination for lines in real life ect.

someone should definatly forward this topic to inspired or another big name, i think once the companys get the idea i could kick off...