Home Made Frame - Fourth Update

Rob Leech

Looks awesome now it's coming together :D can i ask why you chose to try a carbon top tube, was it just because you could?

well, i just wanted to have a play with it really, thought it would be something out of the norm :).

Siiiiick! Steel + carbon is a bit of an interesting one, but hope it works out well for you!

Did you stick with the short/high geo in the end?

I went down to +50, had a look with it lower and it just didnt look like what i had in my head if you get what i mean.

It'll either be rather nice and flicky, or just cramped and a bit rigid, so we'll see what happens (Y).

Cheers,

Josh.

That looks very smart mate. I'm really very impressed by the headtube, looks fantastically original. Can't wait to see it in the flesh.

Just curious by the way, are you aiming for a specific weight once its finished? Seems like a fairly unique competition styled bike so was wondering if you were factoring the same competition style weight into it?

apologies, what is the difference out of curiosity?

Technique and working temperature (Y)

That looks very smart mate. I'm really very impressed by the headtube, looks fantastically original. Can't wait to see it in the flesh.

Just curious by the way, are you aiming for a specific weight once its finished? Seems like a fairly unique competition styled bike so was wondering if you were factoring the same competition style weight into it?

Nah, not really, under 2kg would be nice :P just fancied something a bit flowy rather than straight lines all over the place :)

When its finished, and if it works, fancy making another for a paying customer? I'd love some carbon tubing.

Would love to, have come up with some more ideas, will have to have a play with them first like, have a go when we see each other next, see what you think (Y).

Cheers,

Josh.

The Araldite worries me... Otherwise a very professional looking project!

Araldite for the win.

apologies, what is the difference out of curiosity?

Brazing: the filler metal (the bronze alloy) is drawn into a tight fitting joint by capillary action

Bronze welding: The filler metal is deposited not using capillary action

This forms a joint that is extremely strong in shear, if the joint is designed correctly.

The main advantage is that the base metal is not melted and as long as the weld is done properly, you will not get cracking associated with trials frames as there is NO heat affected zone, the main cause of cracking in applications such as this.

Also repair is very easy if u do f**k the weld up and it does crack.

No offense meant to the original poster but I would definitely have bronze welded this frame, but then again if you do not keep doing it, it is a skill very easily lost.

Also if he had not liked the way it ends up it would be much easier to alter the frame.

Edit: by the way I love this frame, well done dude, cant wait to see it finished.

Edited by Matt Vandart

That looks the shit!

Kind of looks like it needs a bit of bracing round the bb, seat tube, chainstay area, sure it will be strong enough but just looks like its a bit thin.

Top effort though mate, how much do you think its costing including your labour if you had to pay for it?

keep up the good work!

That looks the shit!

Kind of looks like it needs a bit of bracing round the bb, seat tube, chainstay area, sure it will be strong enough but just looks like its a bit thin.

Top effort though mate, how much do you think its costing including your labour if you had to pay for it?

keep up the good work!

Yeah, didnt have the seat tube in at that stage like.

Probably looking at around 200-220, 140 for materials and a good few hours work, think that sounds about right (Y).

New pics up you'll!!!

Josh.

Nicely done in terms of the actual build, but something about the proportions of it looks sorta... skewed. Just the larger gap by the Kamel-esque bit at the headtube, then the super small and compact mid-section. It just doesn't look 'right' in my head.

Like.

Looks like it's going too die around the BB area though :/

Get some brakes and paint on there soon XD

I'll get some better pics up of it tommorow, but i can asure you, that'll be the last place it'd die :P.

Gona sort out the whole brake mounts/booster tommorow, will try and get some riding pics out before the end of the week (Y).

Oh, and forgot to put in the first post, the glue is simply awesome, when the frame was still in assembly you could quite easily press the top and bottom tubes about 10mm closer together. With the glue, no movement at all, very impressed with it.

Cheers,

Josh.

Siiiiick! Steel + carbon is a bit of an interesting one, but hope it works out well for you!

Watch out for turbo corrosion on the steel, carbon fibre can cause even aluminium to corrode badly without galvanic protection. The epoxy may insulate it enough though.

Awesome project anyhow, can't get much more standover clearance than that!

Watch out for turbo corrosion on the steel, carbon fibre can cause even aluminium to corrode badly without galvanic protection. The epoxy may insulate it enough though.

Awesome project anyhow, can't get much more standover clearance than that!

Electrolysis (Y) ( I think :S), hopefully the glue will stop it from making overall contact like.

Lol, its very strange sitting down on it with the dip there.

Cheers,

Josh.

it looks as if the seatstays may be a bit too low... does the chain hit them at all?

And it needs a seat tube. Or the frame will just end up folding.

Other than that very good attempt! Well done.

Yeah, i have had a problem with the seat stays, but has been resolved now.

There is a seat tube, its just a bit small, not much space down there (Y).

Cheers,

Josh.

I'll get some better pics up of it tommorow, but i can asure you, that'll be the last place it'd die :P.

Gona sort out the whole brake mounts/booster tommorow, will try and get some riding pics out before the end of the week (Y).

Oh, and forgot to put in the first post, the glue is simply awesome, when the frame was still in assembly you could quite easily press the top and bottom tubes about 10mm closer together. With the glue, no movement at all, very impressed with it.

Cheers,

Josh.

What, you've glued it together.........scared :unsure:

Looks very professional though mate, would confuse the hell outta non trials riders, push it dude, make buggers and earn yourself some £'s, you seem to have done that in a week! gotta be plenty of people willing to pay £500 for a frame you could build to there specification?!

What is the process of forming steel tubing to that shape?

Project steed looks good (Y)

What you mean bending it?...... :huh:

What, you've glued it together.........scared :unsure:

Composite generally are bonded to other materials of a different type, I wouldn't worry about it if it's all done correctly. It's how they did the Koxx Karbon.