Manufacturers.......this Is What We Want!

murph82

Just watching some of the newer Danny Mac videos, as he runs a 4 bolt crank there should defiantly be more 22-24t bashrings, there are a few like MRP and truvativ but there should be more of them, someone like trialtech should make one or a inspired version of their screw on one for 23t also different sized 4 bolt granny rings would be good.

You can't really get a smaller tensioner for 18t-ish sprockets simply because you need to have an arm that'll extend from your hanger bolt to past the outside edge of your sprocket. You simply can't do that with a shorter arm. If you're having problems with that, just get a Trialtech tensioner. If you've got a different brand of tensioner with a locating pin on it, just get it off there. That way you can spin the longer arm further up, then use the sprung arm to get tension. It works really well and keeps things all neatly tucked out the way.

Quite a lot of 24 riders use 22:XX because a lot of people still run 'Burns. I know of a few people running the Inspired 23t setup, and I'd imagine when the new 22t version drops that'll prove to be fairly popular too.

• 1 month later...

Tartybikes Adam had some special issue ones with threads, he found that there wasn't enough threads on there to safely take a sprocket or freewheel, and Middleburn don't want to spend money making new moulds just for screw on sprockets so it won't happen.

Tartybikes Adam had some special issue ones with threads, he found that there wasn't enough threads on there to safely take a sprocket or freewheel, and Middleburn don't want to spend money making new moulds just for screw on sprockets so it won't happen.

Well cant they manafacture one with more threads? :giggle:

I know pretty much anyone who runs a ffw would like to use middleburns, so theres definatly a market out there ^_^

To be fair there is more than enough screw on cranks on the market to suit everyone from uber light comp riders to beasty street bashers! What trials needs is products that when you see it you think " how have we done without that!"

I'd like to see Trialtech cranks in that oh so cool gunmetal grey colour and also white would be awesome.

They'd have to entirely change their setup to be able to do that, which would cost a shit-tonne and be a lot of hassle...

I dont know the ins and outs of how middleburn manafacture their cranks, but for any new product they'd have to change their setup.

Im sure they've got different setups for square taper, ISIS, 170mm, 175mm, ect.

Im simply saying Middleburn have a reputation for their amazing cranks, and theres clearly trials riders out there that want them to produce a ffw crank......

To be fair there is more than enough screw on cranks on the market to suit everyone from uber light comp riders to beasty street bashers! What trials needs is products that when you see it you think " how have we done without that!"

I'd like to see Trialtech cranks in that oh so cool gunmetal grey colour and also white would be awesome.

Im talking about making a product to suit the customers needs. if you want gunmetal grey or white cranks, there's an invention called sandpaper and a spray can (Y)

I dont know the ins and outs of how middleburn manafacture their cranks, but for any new product they'd have to change their setup.

Im simply saying Middleburn have a reputation for their amazing cranks, and theres clearly trials riders out there that want them to produce a ffw crank......

AFAIK they cast them and then machine them.

So they'll probably cast two or three length of cranks, that's 3 moulds, and machine the sweet torque splines and ISIS or taper interface.

The problem is the sweet torque spline area is too short, so you'd need a new mould (one for each length of crank) and then a new machining process, for the sake of a niche sport.

Moulds are expensive. They could modify their exising ones (maybe) but that would be an ever so slight waste of metal, and a much more significant waste of time cutting the extra bit off for the rest of the cranks.

Pretty sure that's just a case of running a different CNC program on the cranks which'll be cast by that point though? I could be wrong of course, but if that's the case then they'd have to cast a completely different set of cranks purely for the screw-on sets and that's where the big bucks come for relatively no gain on their part.

Edit; Hot damn, it appears I was snaked.

AFAIK they cast them and then machine them.

So they'll probably cast two or three length of cranks, that's 3 moulds, and machine the sweet torque splines and ISIS or taper interface.

The problem is the sweet torque spline area is too short, so you'd need a new mould (one for each length of crank) and then a new machining process, for the sake of a niche sport.

Moulds are expensive. They could modify their exising ones (maybe) but that would be an ever so slight waste of metal, and a much more significant waste of time cutting the extra bit off for the rest of the cranks.

Pretty sure that's just a case of running a different CNC program on the cranks which'll be cast by that point though? I could be wrong of course, but if that's the case then they'd have to cast a completely different set of cranks purely for the screw-on sets and that's where the big bucks come for relatively no gain on their part.

Edit; Hot damn, it appears I was snaked.

Finally! some SERIOUS answers. Yeh i gathered they'd have to make a new mould, but considering all they'd have to do is have more material near the bb, and then cut a thread into that material. ^_^

It's still effectively a totally new product to produce though. Yes, they can get the CNC'd machining side of things done fairly simply on top of what's already available to them from their existing range, but the casting would be the bit that costs the big bucks really. Not so ideal.

It's still effectively a totally new product to produce though. Yes, they can get the CNC'd machining side of things done fairly simply on top of what's already available to them from their existing range, but the casting would be the bit that costs the big bucks really. Not so ideal.

Not saying its not ideal, but it'd open their products up to a whole new market, i.e mod riders. Because most mod riders prefer a ffw setup. (Y)

Even if all the mod riders that fancied a set paid out for some though, that's a tiny market compared to pretty much the rest of the mountain biking world where their current clients lie. If it'd been worth their while to do it, they'd have done it by now ;)

Oh come on, its a lot f*****g more sensible idea than a bike that 'pedal kicks' itself and belt drive :giggle:

It is, which is why this gets serious answers as to why it can't be done.

At least you give me factual information into why it cant be done, unlike some other people.....

Sticking your manbits in a turtle's ass is a lot more sensible than fisting a lion, doesn't mean it's a good idea ;)

I dont even wanna know ......... :giggle: