Merging "beginners Trials Chat" And "trials Chat"

tomturd

51 members have voted

1. 1. Should I merge Beginners Trials Chat and Trials Chat?

They do seem to be pretty much the same at the moment, so I voted yes just because I don't see it being to different.

Thats my thinking (Y)

It would make more sense to split in a different way, eg.. er, how to, mechanical help, choosing a bike, general trials (or something) IMO (if split at all)

• Like 3

That's like merging hotdogs with strawberries. Lovely on their own but when combined it would be awful.

Hot straws and dog berries? Never tried it.

I'm against the merge. For one there would be too many topics, even new ones would get lost and forgotten on the 2nd page. Secondly I have a feeling that BC contains some of the riffraff that used to sit in NMC before it was removed.

• Like 2

People post dumb noob questions in either one so really it doesn't matter. I'd say mods should move the topics around but that's serious effort and it would probably offend the dumb-os.

I'm for merging.

The idea for sub-forums about mechanical questions - ('troubleshoot my bike'?) or such like sounds good.

Edited by Revolver

Firstly, combining them is going to cause problems with there being a few too many topics. In trials chat right now, the oldest reply on the first is only 3 days old, and there's only a couple of them. So the rate of which topics are leaving the first page is pretty fast already.

Seems to me every subject in trials chat and beginners trials chat can be broken up into 2 groups.

1. Topics about parts. (inc whole bikes and clothes).

2. Topics about riding. (physically, technique, things happening on rides etc)

You can literally go down all of trials chat and beginners chat and place every topic into one of these two groups.

About:

48 topics would fit into 1.

10 would fit into 2.

There's also a few stray topics like the tartydays which should really be in Clubs and comps*, not in trials chat, there's also a few topics such as "Did Anyone Hear From Marino Lately?" and "Glossary Of Terms" which aren't really technically in the wrong place, but they won't fit into either of the 2 categories I mentioned.

So my idea would be to base 2 subforums around what I just said, have one subforum relating to physical equipment. Any question/discussion regarding bikes, parts or clothes (protective or regular)

And the other would be for riding technique. The problem is there's a lot more topics about parts than riding tips, so the 2nd subforum would also allow the stray topics to be posted in there too to even the numbers out.

So to sum up:

One subforum solely for bikes, parts, clothing and equipment.

And another for everything else, inc but not limited to riding, hints and tips. Trials politics and general discussion of the sport.

*Sometimes topics like these are purposefully put into trials chat instead of news or member organised rides so they get seen by more people.

Also, while I'm here. I think TF has become big enough now for a subforum solely for the function of TF. Where you'd be able to post topics like this one, people would be able to post their ideas and updates to the site could be posted there too without having everything TF related spread over all the topics (ie. there's a bunch of TF related threads in 'News', this one is in chit-chat, and there's a couple of things in website updates too so it's pretty confusing)

Edited by JT!

I feel that i found the forum most useful when new members could post in the Beginners section. It gave them a chance to introduce themselves and ask any questions they needed, then the members would go and help and answer them in beginners chat until they were ready for validation once they proved they could act responsible on the forum.

Beginners chat and trials chat are slowly becoming the same thing now, so would it be easier just to remove one of them and just make a trials chat section and have a Q&A section thread within the trials chat so it saves making a topic just to get a question answered?

But if they are going to be merged then yeah i feel it would be useful to get a Q&A thread added in the section to save topics being posted just to get a question answered.

I feel that i found the forum most useful when new members could post in the Beginners section. It gave them a chance to introduce themselves and ask any questions they needed, then the members would go and help and answer them in beginners chat until they were ready for validation once they proved they could act responsible on the forum.

Beginners chat and trials chat are slowly becoming the same thing now, so would it be easier just to remove one of them and just make a trials chat section and have a Q&A section thread within the trials chat so it saves making a topic just to get a question answered?

But if they are going to be merged then yeah i feel it would be useful to get a Q&A thread added in the section to save topics being posted just to get a question answered.

Something like this?:

Small questions thread for bike related things too? :)

There is a bike forum too so either trials chat or there would be better.

There is no need for another thread thread, I feel like they're killing the once very busy chit chat and that the need for them isn't as great as it used to be.

;)

Why not first try adding a small description line underneath the Beginners Trials Chat like the "Bike Trials Discussion" under the Trials Chat?

I have no suggestion what because I can't get my thought into words well. Think that is noticeable.. :P