Cycling While Listening To Music.

Luke Dunstan

You can't hear as much stuff (sirens?)

Your mind may not be on the road if you're concentrating to music.

It's a bit of a subjective thing and it'll depend on the tyre of roads you're on. Country lanes with high hedges and in a very busy city with heavy traffic, I probably wouldn't. Some people will advise against it outright. Then again, some people ride in fluoro jackets and million lights... I'd probably suggest if you're over 18, make your own mind up (Y)

For what it's worth, I listen to music sometimes, I don't think it's unsafe. If I'm not listening to music, I'll probably be racing / going as fast as possible which is unsafe anyway. In fact I probably feel safer going a bit slower and enjoying music/podcasts.

I ride through Central London every god damn day with my iPod on full blast, and i'm still here.

It's not a smart thing to do but if you're brave and you know your route you should be fine. Closest i came to hitting someone due to music was yesterday but i friendly pull over and a quick sorry and all was okay.

I find it helps with death dodges and can get me ahead of the pack when i'm feeling tired.

Just ride within your limits.

I think it can be quite dangerous, but depends on the circumstances. I personally don't like listening to music whilst riding because I feel disconnected from my surroundings and end up looking round every few seconds to see what's around me. I much prefer being able to hear everything. I also ride on pavements which seems to annoy the occasional pedestrian. Oh, i'm so apologetic that my presence on the pavement has inconvenienced you to the extent that you had to move slightly to one side.

• Like 1

I tend to have my left side only in on country lanes, so i can still hear any overtaking traffic and most cars round corners. If i'm starting to struggle i put both in as i'll probably be going slower anyway to need the boost from music. All it takes is more looks than usual to check you're not holding anyone up and to take corners slower.

In a town/city i always have both in, there's usually plenty of space on the road for both of us so they can overtake. And its no different to the majority of drivers you see with their music blasting, just they have mirrors, all it takes is a quick look round.

If i'm on my 24, i'm basically going walking speed anyway so there's not much of a problem.

I always make sure that when I'm listening to music I'm at least able to hear myself click my fingers as a general rule. Sometimes I'll quickly turn it off if I'm going up to a particular round about or intersection just to be safe because you are at least partially blocking out the second most important sense in terms of being on the roads.

• Like 1

i normally ride everywhere with music and its has nearly killed me a few times but i hate not listening to something

so one day on the way to school biking along normally a song comes on that i didnt like (because i put the whole album on my ipod) so i pull my ipod out of my pocket the change the song and bam i biked into a parked car and fell offgiggle.gif

i also listen to my music while riding trials cos then i dont have to hear the pissey remarks like "wheres his seat" "kids these days" "whats he doing on that wall" and stuff like that and when you land something and theres a breakdown you feel like a godgiggle.gif

Edited by jacksnell95

On a bike I use my ears like I use mirrors in a car. I can tell (roughly) what and where something is behind me without having to turn around. I'm not sure I'd say listening to music is outright dangerous on a bike, but it definitely decreases your awareness of what's around you. Worst case scenario is emergency vehicles, as soon as I hear one I'm looking around checking what drivers are doing since so many panic when one comes along, if I had music in I might not know what's going on until the car in front swerves over to make way for an emergency vehicle...

I never listen to music when riding, both cycling and on the motorbike, Id rather be listening out for dangers or something going wrong with the bike. I always make alot of observations (trained from riding motorbikes) imho as shaun said, hearing is a pretty important sense to be deprived of.

I always make alot of observations (trained from riding motorbikes) imho as shaun said, hearing is a pretty important sense to be deprived of.

...like it is when you ride said motorbikes? :P

I never found it to be a problem riding in and around London. I've also never found it to be an issue for not hearing sirens or anything like that, even with Sennheisers with pretty good ambient noise blocking (or whatever it's called). Same way that I can still hear sirens when I'm driving my car with my music turned up. If you're clueless and don't know what you're doing then you'll be f**ked with or without music. If you've got a clue and you know what you're doing, you'll be pretty much fine with or without music.

You'd have to have your music on insanely loud to not hear sirens or horns. So loud in fact - assuming you're using standard headphones and not anything with a particularly good noise-cancelling system - you'd have a serious hearing impairment or be totally deaf after not very long anyway, meaning you'd have just as serious a problem on future rides, without the bonus of listening to dem bangin choonz.

Just turn it down a bit, and look around a bit more to "compensate" for lowered hearing.

When I ride anything further than just down to the shop, I have it on just quiet enough that I can hear cars behind me.

Headphones, whilst also being much more comfortable and usually a better sound quality are also better for this than earphones. Depends if you wear a helmet or not.

On my motorbike I wear headphones with very quiet music, mainly thanks to the exhaust noise it actually dulls that and improves my awareness.

Its also given me great discipline in observations! they're compulsory and instincitve now.

You'd be suprised how much you can hear on a bike with a big lid, because you hearing is slightly muffled you listen harder.

On the Trials bike- no, find it affects my balance and awareness, You can't hear the tyres or brakes.

On the MTB - as above on trails, commuting to the trails yes. (I ride faster then 99% of people going that way and am corteous and respectful of walkers/runners)

Running- sometimes, usually quiet and usually not my normal soft inner ear phones (the ones that go in the ear cannal just standard loose fit things). This is due to being vunerable to cars, cyclists and it also stops me controlling my technique, I can't hear myself running with lazy foot slaps.

...like it is when you ride said motorbikes? :P

I have no problems hearing stuff on the motorbike, engine, chain, brakes, induction and exhaust noise are all things that you listen for changing to detect is something is wrong. Add the wind noise of an MX lid and it becomes more difficult to hear but you still can, certainly much more so than with noise cancelling earphones in :)

I'm deaf and when I don't wear my hearing aids I can't hear anything at all, I ride a track bike with a fixed wheel and one brake to and from places. I zoom through red lights and ride in the middle of the road to get through traffic, never been a problem. Just make sure you always look ahead 2 or 3 cars when riding. Often the accidents happen ahead and if you don't see them, you won't have time to stop.

Two stupid girls crossed the road once without looking, I had to lock my rear wheel (using my legs) and skid round them. F*cking b*tches, they just laughed. I could've easily crashed into them and they'd easily have a broken arm from a 30Mph collision.

Another thing you need to watch out for, is drivers not looking in the left hand mirror when they turn off. They will force you to either go into the side of their vehicle, or go round the corner with them...

My bike:

38190_1521929532568_1364469316_1385765_8338207_n.jpg