Questions With No Answers

trials owns

Shame she contradicts herself on a couple of occasions in there then really.

The majority of her videos are both accurate and pretty entertaining though (Y)

In "shooting herself in the foot" news, she even wraps it up by talking about a number "infinitely close to, but smaller than, one". As has been mentioned, this magical number will behave exactly like 1 in almost every case imaginable, but then that can be said about 0.99999 in a huge number of instances (for example) With today's tech, it makes no difference in a physical sense, but my original point still stands.

6a00d8341bf89d53ef01156fc7dd2f970c-pi.jpg

Biggest problem about that video is about 2 minutes into it i got hungry, and she didnt make me a sandwich. Thats what happens when women leave the kitchen. mad.gif

Here is something to think about. Think of a new colour or letter take your pick and let me know.

Edited by TROYston

In the movie Cool Running's, they use sprinters so they can push the bobsled faster at the top to gain valuable milliseconds which can turn into full seconds a the finishing line. But Sanka is not a sprinter. Surely in this case, Sanka would just be left behind? How come he wasn't?

In the movie Cool Running's, they use sprinters so they can push the bobsled faster at the top to gain valuable milliseconds which can turn into full seconds a the finishing line. But Sanka is not a sprinter. Surely in this case, Sanka would just be left behind? How come he wasn't?

Don't forget they're pushing a 200kg bob. If it was a clear sprint then sure he'd be left for dead but as the best pushcart driver in all of Jamaica he only needs to keep up with them (who are taking the strain of pushing the thing) before jumping in and driving Talula to almost certain failure.

Not going with this 0.9999 = 1

Obviously 1/3 is rounded even if you call it 0.333333333333333333333333333333333 it is rounded, hence why 0.3333+0.3333+0.3333 = 0.9999

If you had "infinite" amount of nine, there will still be that "infinite" .1 that needs adding to make it 1.

Obviously 1/3 is rounded even if you call it 0.333333333333333333333333333333333 it is rounded, hence why 0.3333+0.3333+0.3333 = 0.9999

If you had "infinite" amount of nine, there will still be that "infinite" .1 that needs adding to make it 1.

Technically it'd be 0.0000000001 rounded, but as it's not rounded, it's an infinite amount of 0.0000 before the 1. Question is, does that make it 0, if so then 0.99999999etc must equal 1?

The thing about infinite is that it never ends, so 0.333...=1/3

Infinity isn't too f**ked up in a mathematical sense really. Just like the moneys on typewriters example, it's easy to see how anything is possible once you start throwing around the word infinity.

To Jamie:

Lets say you have a coin you flipped 10 times, what're the chances you'll get the coin to land on it's edge 10 times in a row. Chances would be astronomical. Lets say you flipped the coin 1,000,000 times for it to land on it's edge 10 times in a row, would still be astronomical, but would be less than before. The more times you flip the coin more likely it'll be that that happens. Eventually you're going to flip it enough times that the chances of that happening will become 50/50, then more flips after that more likely than not. The more times you flip the more and more likely it is to happen to the point when it's 99% likely to happen.

Flip even more times and you're going to get the repeating nines 99.9% likely to happen, even more flips 99.999% likely to happen. Millions of years of more flipping and you get 99.99999999% likely to happen. But if there was an infinite number of flips, that 99.99999999% would turn to 100% (aka 1), and the coin landing on it's edge 10 times in a row would become a certainty. If you don't flip the coin an infinite number of times, the probability would be forever getting closer to 100%, but would never reach it, there would just be more 9's after the decimal point.

Infinity isn't too f**ked up in a mathematical sense really. Just like the moneys on typewriters example, it's easy to see how anything is possible once you start throwing around the word infinity.

Oh sweet, thanks for such an eloquent watertight explanation. I'll just go and bang my head against this wall until I forget all that has been said by lecturers, teachers and the like over the years and roll with you.

Oh sweet, thanks for such an eloquent watertight explanation. I'll just go and bang my head against this wall until I forget all that has been said by lecturers, teachers and the like over the years and roll with you.

I don't really get how the concept is difficult to grasp in a purely theoretical mathematical sense, which is what this is. Obviously if you're talking about the infinite universe that's a whole different mindf**k.

Edited by JT!

I don't really get how the concept is difficult to grasp in a purely theoretical mathematical sense, which is what this is. Obviously if you're talking about the infinite universe that's a whole different mindf**k.

I hope you got a 1st in your maths degree...

Ok so let's break it right down.

Does 0.9 = 1?

I'm going to go with "no".

Now, I'm guessing you've followed that far and probably don't contest it, so next step;

Add another decimal place to that. 0.99. I think it's pretty clear that this still doesn't equal zero, right?

How about the next step; Does 0.999 - 1?

What about 0.9999?

As we add more and more decimal places, we're getting increasingly close to a number with a magnitude of 1, there's no doubt about that, but it's not yet equal to it. Still agreeing at this point?

Here's where the problem seems to lie; Infinity isn't a number. It doesn't come just after eleventeen-gazillion and three, or some other fixed point, it's a concept to describe a situation that has no end. We can carry out the steps above over and over without the number being precisely 1. Perhaps the difference (which may or may not be there) is too infinitesimal to comprehend and so it's easier to just think of it as equal to 1 - hell, it's as near as makes no difference and almost any physical application would struggle to distinguish anything between them, but to just flat out decide that they are equal holds absolutely no standing.

I can't say which way it goes, it's largely down to definition and applications in which case it could be equal, different or even both depending on the circumstances, but yeah. It's really not black and white like you seem to be trying to bluntly make out.

It's like asking what an infinite series sums to - often there'll be a fixed number that a function can equal, but in other cases whilst you may see behaviour tending towards a limit, it never takes that value.

Out of interest, to what level have you studied maths?

By the same argument as before though, 1/3 isn't necessarily precisely 0.33333 (however many zeros you want to put). They're infinitely close in a worst case scenario, but same rules apply.

Saying that 1/3 = 0.3333... and so 1 = 0.9999... means nothing as you're simply assigning a value, rather than proving one. It's the same sort of reason that the x = 0.999, 10x = 9.999, 9x = 9, x = 1 "proof" isn't really "proper" as such.

With the "logic over calculations" though, as I've said a few times in a real world situation any difference is negligible :)

• Like 1

That's the issue with simple proofs and trying to express these fractions simply. You need to start messing with limits and stuff.

Hated all this "pure" stuff at school, it makes no sense to me as it has no basis within the real world in my eyes.

Much easier for me using a set number of decimals in calculations seeing as there's tolerances to account for :P

Bigtime - for virtually all applications we don't need the additional precision. So long as we know the tolerances to work to, job's a good'un! Unfortunately the curiosity of the human nature leads to a desire to want to fully understand things and so we end up with people that want to know this sort of thing :rolleyes:

Fortunately, however, another couple of months and I should be able to largely turn my back on all this kind of shit! :P