The Car Thread

MadManMike

i was working at the French car show the other day and there where some immaculate 205s really re kindled my love for them. pug1off where on the stand next to us and had one with itbs and it sounded amazing.

Jardo where you there i saw a clio in the same colors as yours with a very similar personal plate.

7421220796_7fd25b7290.jpg

7421228038_6cb8ec88dc.jpg

7421233594_4672c24f8d.jpg

Edited by Joe Aston

Jardo I still can't work out which bit of milehouse junction ruined that immaculate gti? But glad you and any passengers walked away!!

In other news, drove a friends 318 today (coming from a 1.6 focus or double cab pick ups) never been more dissatisfied with a drive. Good tyres and standard m sport kit. So in theory a good deal but didn't float my boat really. rear drive is the way forward on the track (fast ones anyway) but I didn't really feel anywhere near it's capability which made it fairly safe and consequently dull

Shamus, if you walk from stoke on the bus station side of the road towards the life center and then go to walk across the road (as if go go to the center) I did it in the first pedestrian island with the raised curb stones. On the left hand side at the second set of lights before you turn left to go up ford hill.

• Like 1

Bucky, Er, it was fairly old, I'm a complete novice in terms of bmw's was a 99 plate though.

A quick Google says it was a e36 8 valve lol. So That might be the case but I'm not sure it was the power (which wasn't as much as I expected) it was just how didn't feel very connected. maybe I set my expectations for my first rear drive (bar work horse vehicles) too high!

Jardo, wow. That's pretty brutal. walking away was a gift man!

Edited by shamus
  • Like 1

Haha awesome. I'll be up that way for the mtb Olympic race. up all the preceding week doing crappy training and getting really bored in a campsite

Cool man, well i'm just up the road so drop me a message when you're up here - can go for a beer or something to ease the camp hate (Y)

Edited by Skoze

bimmerprimer.jpg

bimmerprimer2.jpg

bimmerprimer3.jpg

todays progress

Got to support a fellow E36. What are you doing with it? Can't quite figure out if it's a repaint or not :P

On a separate note, had a strange problem with the E38 today which occurred last time rather surprisingly exactly 1 year ago. To put it short, the V8 turns into an inline 4 pot. Did a fair amount of diagnostics to see what was causing it (disconnecting the battery for 15 minutes fixes it) but came up with nothing. All I know is that there are sparks in both banks but disconnecting 4 coils in the right bank doesn't affect how the engine performs. It's fine now but I was hoping to pinpoint the problem, not just assume the ECU went haywire.

If anyone likes low cars please like my Uni course mates facebook page!

Sitting Low

I've never understood that scene, surely doing that to your car makes it completely undriveable? Which kind of defies the point of it being a car? Even if you want it to look good, and think that looks good then surely you'll have to take it out of the garage eventually, and rather than push it you'll get in and experience the horror.

Nearly wrote my car off today as a huge German motorhome tried to side swipe me at a roundabout. Not best pleased, cost me a pair of underwear and a load of tyre tread.

Anyway, I made it home in one piece and gave it a nice polish up...

dsc7351w.jpg

dsc7348y.jpg

dsc7342.jpg

dsc7338u.jpg

dsc7353.jpg

Edited by MadManMike

Got to support a fellow E36. What are you doing with it? Can't quite figure out if it's a repaint or not :P

just had to redo the scabby aches and pull them a little to fit the 10s in. yeah its a full repaint, atlantis blue.

IMAG0481.jpg

Absolutely 10/10 for originality TB, never seen those wheels on a Passat before, and they look great! Proper smart :D

In other news....

Back from Gti International with Mowgli and Bigman, what a great day, made so sad by a terrible end.

Towards the end of the afternoon an accident occured involing a Leon losing control and going throught the barriers at speed and into the watching croud injuring several people.

I won't speculate more about what happened, but wish all those involved a speedy recovery, and hope meaures are taken to stop something like that ever happening again.

I did 4 runs on the strip, and I'll be honest, I was AWFUL at it. the car is capable of way more. I am not - and won't be practicing, because it's just not my thing.

First run, against a mk1 golf 20vt, beat that, although absolutely LOADS of wheelspin in 1st, and second, and 3rd, complete fail. 14.75s

Second run, against a totally standard mk4 golf, beat that obviously, and a much better launch, but still far too much wheelspin in 1st and second

14.219s 0-60 was a pretty poor 6.02s :(

Third run, against a big turbo Ibiza Tdi with about 250bhp / 6 million lbft

Got an OK start, then missed second some how unhappy.gif the soot chucker got ahead unhappy.gif finally got second, and was reeling him in, but it was too late, he beat me to the line unhappy.gif massive shame on me. Beaten by a tdi unhappy.gif

14.41s

Fourth run, against a stage 2 golf ED30 I think it was, sadly it started raining in the que and it was slightly damp, I felt I got my best start, but being wet it wasn't enough. Not sure who won that one, was pretty dead level the whole way down.

14.35s

314704_10151239857117785_1426611386_n.jpg

So, we established that I am crap at drag racing, but I'm not fussed, because if I'm honest, I found it pretty boring. The best bit by far was the corner at the far end of the strip!

So, sodd that, onto the handling course!

This was MUCH more my cup of tea!

Chatting to the bloke running it before having a go, he was telling me that they had managed sub 40s in their own golf race car the day before, but very few of the public got below 40s ever.

I went out for a few sighting laps, then did a timed run. First run, 40.1, DAMN, so close to the covetted 'sub 40'

Lined up, and had another crack at it.

Flat out on the second run, a lot more aggressive than before, went really well, and the final time was 39.8, but I clipped one cone, so got a 1s penalty and recorded 40.8.

Bugger.

A bit of queing, then another try. Absolutely went for it, first lap went great, second lap was going well right up until the second to last corner, where I got a bit over excited and out braked myself and understeered my way into the last corner, lost a shed load of time, but kept it planted to the finish.

39.61 seconds, no cones hit. RESULT!

In car clip here:

Clip from Si Worker here:

http://i577.photobucket.com/albums/s...r/a1ed7c12.mp4

Absolutely cracking fun, and I went back later on to have another go, only to find that the FMX boys had moved a trailler, and the track had been changed to suit, so no more competetive times were being recorded. Such a shame, as ai really felt I could improve by a fair bit on my 39.61.

Went into the Eibach stand to look at others times, and to my surprise, I found I'd been the 3rd fastest of the whole weekend! absolutely over the moon with that biggrin.gif and SO pleased with how well the car had performed. Definitely confirmed that it's all about the corners for me biggrin.gif

After that I took a mate out for a few fun laps, messing around mostly, pulling the handbrake, sliding everywhere, and just generally gooning around. Still 39s on the slightly altered course (Just one apex moved 1m from the last), but a bit more lairy than the proper timed laps biggrin.gif

a513c0b2.jpg

b8a8a51c.jpg

90d13b35.jpg

If anyone likes low cars please like my Uni course mates facebook page!

Sitting Low

Really? Another? There is already about twenty, and they already post pretty much every car in the UK scene. The UK isn't big enough for so many pages to be of any use, sorry to your mate!

Back needs coming down about an inch an I'll be mega happy.

8.5 & 9.5 staggered 3DSM 0.01 setup. They're fantastic quality for the price.

I love 3SDM wheels. They are so, so affordable and look so good. Good choice!

Commence "Stance" argument...

No argument, stance is gay...

Trololol.

Oi! Me too Nick! :P

Real shame about the accident, it totally ruined the atmosphere of the show.

A spectator in the crowd suffered a broken pelvis and was airlifted to hospital. Another man was taken to hospital by land, accompanied by his girlfriend who was walking wounded.

All of this caused by a quick release steering wheel coming off mid run. The sad thing is, it wasn't even the drivers car, he was having a go in his mates car (which just so happens to be a tuning company...not very good advertisement!)

Hopefully they all make a speedy recovery.

Was a good day apart from that. Weather was nowhere near as bad as expected! Had a fun drive on the way there and back!

Oi! Me too Nick! :P

Real shame about the accident, it totally ruined the atmosphere of the show.

Sorry Spunky! I post on several forums and sometimes forget who's a member on which :P So the post changes on each forum I copy it to. haha. You should have brought the leon over for a blast on the handling course though, and bigman!

Accident was very sad, but sounds like the end result wasn't quite as horrific as it was first feared. best wishes to all involved.

I must wonder what this means for the future of GTI inters though.... Good luck getting insurance for that one next year!