The Car Thread

MadManMike

Personally I'd go for a remapped 1.9 over the 2.0tdis, there full of problems whereas the 1.9s are bullet proof. The dsg boxes arent too hot either from reviews, but I suppose you can't believe all you read. The 2.0tdi engines suffer from oil pump failure, injector failure and camshaft failure due to inferior materials... The 1.9s are a proven reliable motor and pretty basic really.

Quite serious issues with the 2.0tdi then. Camshaft failure? Doesn't sound good at all. I must say that this disqualifies the Passat in my eyes :( Frankly speaking I'm looking for something more powerful, the 170bhp 2.0tdi is something I could probably live with if it was coupled to a DKG box. I've driven a Scirocco R with that box and it was sensational. However, switching over to a 1.9 diesel with 140bhp after having covered 60k miles in a daily driver with almost 300bhp is not something I'd like. I'm a fairly slow driver but I'm used to having a lot of power under the right foot when needed. Plus, whatever I get needs to be able to tow a 2 tonne trailer.

think so, yes it buzzes very loudly when ignition is turned on, i confirmed this on three 318is (m44) now to check mine isnt at fault.

and yeah prawn its a 300mm Sparco Faster wheel. i had a 320mm omp replica but it had too much dish on it and i felt like i was driving like a Trex.

yeah prawn its a 300mm Sparco Faster wheel. i had a 320mm omp replica but it had too much dish on it and i felt like i was driving like a Trex.

That's my current issue, with the new seats, the access gap has closed up a fair bit, and whilst I can jump in and out OK, I think my dad will struggle, so a removable boss is needed.

The decent removable bosses throw the wheel back by about 60mm, which on my 3'' dished wheel would be stupid! So I've gone for a new flat wheel, and a quick release boss, so itll end up 16mm further away, which I can adjust out to me preference on the column.

• Like 1

Jardo, where does the pipe at the bottom of it go? and is it pre or post throttle body? Buzzing with the ignition sounds like it could well be a PWM controlled idle valve, if it is then the pipe will go to one side of the throttle body and it'll be on the other.

Edit, George, not if you park with it turned 90deg to the left, ;) but yeah, can't really see the advantage over a decent quick release.

Edited by RobinJI

it's nothing to do with Belly / chest in that sense, it's because of the cage and winged seats that access is tight, the actual gap between wheel and seat wing is very small, so the wheel needs to be totally removed to aid access.

In a car without a cage, and tight legroom around the knees (like me in an MX5) I can see that fold up boss being handy, although I think I'd still have a good quality quick release, as it adds a bit of security too

Thanks Bucky. I am going to unplug the maf for a couple of days and see if the fuel eco improves, I am getting about 25mpg. Is that normal?

I got around 25mpg in the 320 and the 328, the 4 pots seems to do nearer to 30ish..All of them did less than 10 when booted. Fun times.

Thanks Bucky. I am going to unplug the maf for a couple of days and see if the fuel eco improves, I am getting about 25mpg. Is that normal?

Are you sure that's a good idea? What's your thinking behind this? Just curious.

Edited by Pete.M

Are you sure that's a good idea? What's your thinking behind this? Just curious.

Yep, I know it is a good idea.

No maf is better than a faulty one, misreading and misinformation can cause all sorts of problems without ever showing fault codes or noticable symptoms. Chances are on a 100k 15 year old car that it might be gone and sending things a stray with regards my occasional high idle and poor economy. Maybe I am just suspicious of MAF's from years of maintaining 1.8t's.

There is a kick to it mid range which is very strange, like it isn't quite giving it it's all. And when driving like a grandma (econometer hasn't seen below 30 all week) it uses the same amount of fuel as it does if I don't bother and just drive it normally.

It runs fine with only a fault code logged without the maf connected, so worth a try to see if it improves things.

Edited by Pashley26