The Car Thread

MadManMike

I think if I were you I'd be looking at estates Mark. Potentially 'less desirable' and as such more car for your money, plus the obvious bike related benefits... This is based entirely on gut feeling than research though! I know I was looking at Volvo V70s a long while ago and they seemed like decent solutions for not much money.

EDIT: I was intrigued by my own suggestion, and found this, just in case you're also intrigued. I find them strangely attractive for what they are...

Edited by JD™

Mk3 mondeo Ghia/zetec/whatever 2.0 tdci 130bhp 6 speed. Cheap as chips in both forms. Just make sure it starts with the minimum of fuss and make sure if it's near 120k it's had the clutch done. Easy 50-55mpg all day long. And they are huge, and go like stink. Wish I still had mine but better condition

Paul, if I remember right I payed £220 for the Passat lump that's in my 'rocco. That was including the full loom (with the plugs sort of labeled up), ECU, dials, pipework, intercooler etc. Basically everything but the box. I'd have said £200-£300's fair for a longitudinal 1.8t, they're definitely cheaper than the transverse ones.

Personally I'd go with the factory ECU for what you want it for, it's simple enough to wire up if you know your way around a wiring diagram. You'll need to either get the immobilizer coded out of the ECU or use the dials as well (the route I took). Not sure what you'd do about the speedo if you used the dials, kind of depends where the 924 takes its signal from.

Cheers Robin!

That's what I had been expecting to find one for, what sort of mileage is acceptable on these? I have found complete cars for £4-500 with under 150k on them. I don't intend on buying one to do a full rebuild on if I can help it, so I don't mind paying a little extra for low mileage if it's worthwhile. Speedo wise I guess I could go for a 944 box which gives an electronic signal, I assume that's all I need? Sounds easier just to get it coded out though and would keep the original look which is something I'm keen to do unless I can reduce the original clocks in any way so that they can be tucked away somewhere? Ideally I'd have the engine as sorted as possible with all the parts I'd need so I can get it swapped in very quickly when I have all the parts+some money for any unexpected purchases

I managed to time my entry into the car owning/insurance buying world with premiums going up across the board year-on-year so I just took it like a bitch for 3 consecutive years until they realised that I wasn't going to crash into everything around me. Sucked.

Speaking of, f**k looking for cars, f**k the sorting office near me in Bristol only being open 'til 11:30am every day, and f**k wind.

And the mini?

I'm sorta going through a prawn f**k the mini stage :lol:.

Nah, I've got a front subby being blasted at the minute ready for me to paint and build back up with fully adjustable kit, the bulkheads been flap wheeled ready for repainting and a med stage 2 verto setup is in the motor ready to put back in the subframe too. It all just wants putting back together and wiring back up.

Then reshell it all in a few years time!

• Like 1

Cheers Robin!

That's what I had been expecting to find one for, what sort of mileage is acceptable on these? I have found complete cars for £4-500 with under 150k on them. I don't intend on buying one to do a full rebuild on if I can help it, so I don't mind paying a little extra for low mileage if it's worthwhile. Speedo wise I guess I could go for a 944 box which gives an electronic signal, I assume that's all I need? Sounds easier just to get it coded out though and would keep the original look which is something I'm keen to do unless I can reduce the original clocks in any way so that they can be tucked away somewhere? Ideally I'd have the engine as sorted as possible with all the parts I'd need so I can get it swapped in very quickly when I have all the parts+some money for any unexpected purchases

Well Golf/A3's have a speedo sendor that goes in the hole for a cable. I guess there's a small chance it could be made to work on the 924 box. The clocks aren't really able to be altered, they're one big PCB with all the dials built into it, hence my funky sideways dials to get it as small as possible with the original pivot points.

Mileage-wise, mine was on 118k. If looked after they'll happily hit 200k and keep going strong. The valve stem seals in mine seem to be a bit shot, but otherwise it runs perfectly. If you get a complete car you'll probably end up with a free engine by the time you've sold one or two bits and weighed the rest in. It's definitely what I'd have done if I'd had the space or time to break a car.

I want pay-day to arrive so I can start reassembling the MX-5 and think about getting it on the road.

Edited by RobinJI

Mk3 mondeo Ghia/zetec/whatever 2.0 tdci 130bhp 6 speed. Cheap as chips in both forms. Just make sure it starts with the minimum of fuss and make sure if it's near 120k it's had the clutch done. Easy 50-55mpg all day long. And they are huge, and go like stink. Wish I still had mine but better condition

These are kind of tempting but just did some more research into them and it seems the whole fuel injection system can be kind of sketchy on them. Quite a few horror stories out there, not to mention the usual clutch issues. Sounds like the petrol versions are a bit more reliable although obviously not as economical...

Things like this makes me incredibly sad. http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/315056-fabia-vrs-se-stolen-in-northamptonshire-reg-bd07-vwr/

But when they have a happy ending :Dhttp://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/315360-my-fabia-vrs-has-been-found-d/

Must be over the moon, still missing out on £8000 of electronics from his home though :(

Haha, niiiiice. Mine will be back on the road next year defiantly. Missing it loads.

I think I just enjoy the fact that I still own it :)

There will always come a time and a place where my priorities are different and I've got the space / time to do it justice and use it properly. Until then I'm happy knowing it's tucked up in a dry garage, ready to be taken out at any time if the opportunity did arise :)

DSC_0158_zpsae5d264e.jpg

DSC_0156_zps1f2e2470.jpg

i