The Car Thread

MadManMike

Awesome news Craig :) Get some pics up man

Yeah will do when it's been cleaned and polished, country roads have turned it kinda brown :P

Edit, pics stolen from the advert. In need of a of a decent clean inside and out!

post-7460-0-44176700-1401194652_thumb.jp post-7460-0-61424400-1401194658_thumb.jp

post-7460-0-74087900-1401194654_thumb.jp post-7460-0-64252900-1401194656_thumb.jp

Chaps - in need of a bit of advice.

My girlfriend has around £5,000 to spend on a new car to replace her current Mk4 Fiesta.

Now I really don't know much about cars at all so is there anything particularly worth looking at, or perhaps more importantly any really worth staying away from?

She's got a 15 mile commute Monday-Friday, but doesn't drive all that much outside of that. Needs 5 doors as she see's her niece & nephew pretty regularly

So far she has been looking at petrols, around 1.4 or 1.6L. With an eye on economy and insurance she doesn't want to go above that. Decent diesel would be considered

I'll be driving this car too a bit, so if there is anything with a bit of poke that's a laugh to drive within that spec that'd be cool too

Cheers

No point getting a diesel doing that sort of mileage, you'll probably end up causing more problems with a diesel and short little journeys.

Edited by craigjames

How does one go by tightening tappets?

Cars making a slight tapping/knocking noise from engine, been told its tappet?

It depends what car it is. On most stuff since the 80s they're not adjustable, but there is oil treatment available that's often pretty effective at freeing them up and quietening the engine as a result.

If it is one with adjustable tappets, then it can vary a fair bit depending on the car.

It depends what car it is. On most stuff since the 80s they're not adjustable, but there is oil treatment available that's often pretty effective at freeing them up and quietening the engine as a result.

If it is one with adjustable tappets, then it can vary a fair bit depending on the car.

6N polo 99, just pulled up outside house the other night and it started.

No adjustment on them unfortunately. As I say, there are oil treatments that can genuinely help them.

Something like this is supposed to work pretty well. I've never used it myself, but I've heard good things (it is hit and miss though, it's not a miracle cure, there's nothing to say the noise even really is tappets.)

Personally I'd chuck some super-cheap diesel oil in there, run it for 2 or 3 hundred miles then change it again for decent oil. Diesel oil contains higher levels of detergent than the petrol equivalent, and it'll basically act as a gentle engine flush.

No adjustment on them unfortunately. As I say, there are oil treatments that can genuinely help them.

Something like this is supposed to work pretty well. I've never used it myself, but I've heard good things (it is hit and miss though, it's not a miracle cure, there's nothing to say the noise even really is tappets.)

Personally I'd chuck some super-cheap diesel oil in there, run it for 2 or 3 hundred miles then change it again for decent oil. Diesel oil contains higher levels of detergent than the petrol equivalent, and it'll basically act as a gentle engine flush.

I will upload a video tomorrow after I finish work of the noise it's making, hopefully that will be a bit more helpful

I always though you could shim the cam followers on overhead cam engines?

It depends on the engine. Some can be shimmed, but the greater portion of them use hydraulic lifters/followers, which are self adjusting. If the clearances aren't right, then they're either stuck or broken, leaving the only options as oil treatments to clean them out (hence my last post) or replacement. Luckily they very rarely seem to break.

What engine polo is it? Petrol/diesel? 8v/16v?

A video could well help. One trick's to narrow it down's to hold a long screwdriver against the engine while it's running with the handle against your ear, move it around the engine and see where the knocking's loudest, it can help narrow it down a fair bit. If it is tappets then it'll be loudest on the rocker cover/head.

Edited by RobinJI

To give a little more weight to the argument, I run slicks on track, and can quite literally outbrake just about everything, and the ABS NEVER kicks in in the dry, unless I'm a ham fisted idiot and stamp on the pedal on purpose.

That would be me :(

edit:

Some beautiful car control from one of my competitors running slicks on wet cobblestones.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCFMOnhlzIM

Edited by Greetings

Also, everyone's argument here on whether ABS stops you quicker or not is missing the point.

ABS isn't designed to stop you any quicker. Its designed to stop your wheels from locking up, so you still have control over the car whilst heavy breaking.

• Like 1

Also, everyone's argument here on whether ABS stops you quicker or not is missing the point.

ABS isn't designed to stop you any quicker. Its designed to stop your wheels from locking up, so you still have control over the car whilst heavy breaking.

Absolutely. I think what some people were trying to say was that they prefer to have the control themselves. It does seem to be possible for a switched on driver to outbrake most production car's ABS systems and maintain control. Personally, I'm glad that most other drivers I come across on the road have it though. And frankly, at 6:50 when I'm blearily getting in the car to head to work, I'd probably be quite grateful of it too.

That said, I don't feel unsafe in my old car without it, I've got decent tyres and enough sense to think ahead and allow a good braking distance. I'm sure as hell less likely to run into trouble with needing better brakes than most of the morons I see hanging off the car in fronts rear bumper.

(So having said that, I'm pretty much definitely now going to slam into the car in-front of me tomorrow morning aren't I? Screw you sods law.)

Edited by RobinJI

Got a problem with my 2000 passat, ive recently lowered it but doing so aftwerwards the abs light came on, this wasn't a problem as id assume I've knocked the abs sensor or something in the process of being heavy handed, recently my speedo has been beeping like crazy every few seconds and flashing abs error which is REALLY pissing me off when i drive it, Anyone got any ideas either for my abs or beeping? i took of the wheels but everything seems inplace/no uncut abs wires etc.

before this if i was low on petrol the beeping would go absolutely crazy again, but i just made sure i had penty of fuel :w00t:

Anyone shred some light?

ABS doesn't slow you down faster, it just allows you to keep control of your steering.

;)

Anyway

About done so I took some pics of it looking pretty :)

WP_20140509_001_zps5177434e.jpg

WP_20140527_003_zpsa80e8a12.jpg

WP_20140527_23_17_10_Pro_zpsb51a5232.jpg

Edited by Jolfa

Got a problem with my 2000 passat, ive recently lowered it but doing so aftwerwards the abs light came on, this wasn't a problem as id assume I've knocked the abs sensor or something in the process of being heavy handed, recently my speedo has been beeping like crazy every few seconds and flashing abs error which is REALLY pissing me off when i drive it, Anyone got any ideas either for my abs or beeping? i took of the wheels but everything seems inplace/no uncut abs wires etc.

before this if i was low on petrol the beeping would go absolutely crazy again, but i just made sure i had penty of fuel :w00t:

Anyone shred some light?

Plug it into a diagnostic computer and you'll soon find out what the problem is.

Gents. The Golf (pd150) currently has one of these installed and frankly it's shite. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/251158478408?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Any suggestions on a replacement? Apparently the OEM spec clutch setup isn't too shabby so I may just put one of those in if nothing else is suggested, though in an ideal world a skim of the flywheel and just replacing the friction plate would be sweet to save funds!

Need a new hobby in life so about to possibly take the plunge on a mates evo 6 with a few mods. Has 79k on the clock and will come with a years mot and 6 months road tax. I plan on stripping it and just using it as a track car at weekends ect.

anyone owned 1 and got any tips for what to watch out for and any must mods for tracking it?

IMG-20140528-WA0001_zpsll5quzm4.jpg

I'm having my alternator and starter rebuilt tomorrow. I also want to replace the loom going to my alternator as the stock route makes it get pretty toasted and creates issues usually.

My current loom has 10AWG cable and I was wondering if I could use some speaker amp wire that I have knocking about, presumably if I use the 10AWG or larger stuff it'll be perfectly fine?