The Car Thread

MadManMike

55 plate Seat Leon 1.9TDI PD150 Mapped to 199.6BHP (ARL Engine code) for sale.

It's a half finished project that is roadworthy, but could do with some tidying.

Since owning it in January it's had:

New turbo.

Two new tyres.

New wishbones.

Wishbone bushes.

Rod ends.

Top mounts.

Glow plugs.

Glow Plug bridge harness.

Aux belt.

It still needs:

Cambelt and water pump

Bodywork needs attention, lots of scratches and small dents. Ideally, rear driver side door could be replaced.

Central locking remote - at the moment it's only working on manual key.

It's on 85,000 miles. It was previously Cat C but has been repaired. This is advised on the last MOT as minor damage.

I paid £2,000 for it back in January and have spent around £1,500 so far on improvements, but it does still need more love. I'm out of money and honestly, I just don't love this car. If it was a good example, it would fetch around £4,000 but as it far from perfect I'm looking for what I paid for it, £2,000, or as close to that as possible.

I'll also swap for an MX5.

The springs fit fine in the perch, this is the first time I've tried it and to be quite honest I've not noticed any difference in the suspension characteristics, a far cry from what the critics say. Is still rather run proper lowering springs or coil overs though, once I've decided if this is the route I want to take.

Seems as though I need my warm up regulator rebuilt, £250 I really don't want to spend :(

Cut springs are fine as long as you don't go mad, it's when people chop a third of the spring off, with standard length and rate shocks that the complaints come. (Obviously not all springs can be cut, some aren't a constant shape.)

Also yeah, some are wound progressively.

Paul, you could build a Megasquirt for £250. Just saying.

Some of you may know I've been co-driving in a south west championship this year. I was co-driving for a friend in his dad's old rally car that we'd dragged out of the garage and recommissioned. My friends dad was also doing the odd rally, but not in a specific championship.

Last weekend his dad was competing in a tarmac rally down in Cornwall and half way around a 4th gear corner he was confronted with an Impreza coming the wrong way at speed:

IMG_9344.jpg

DSC_0030.jpg

140mph combined impact speed. :( Amazingly everyone got out alive, although they're all pretty beaten about with various broken bones/cuts/other injuries. It really does go to show how strong these cars are once they're properly prepared for racing. This is why I wince every time I see a 'track car' that's treated power as more important than a roll cage. It's also why I'll be adding a fair bit to the cage in the MX-5. I'm fairly sure that at least my friends dad's life was saved by the roll-cage being extended through the bulkhead to the strut towers. All this stuff really is essential.

It's certainly shaken me a bit, seeing a car that I've co-driven in a few times and helped build/maintain for a few years now get so completely devastated. Scary stuff.

That's f**king BS Robin.

What a shame.

With regards insurance or compensation, I doubt there is anything in place to protect the financial investment of the car?

-

Well lads.

Almost a month after the clutch first slipped and I took it off the road, after multiple breakdowns and little issues that I had overlooked it is all good now.

So the clutch bleeding block related drama is all sorted, anybody who has seen one of these bleeding blocks will know that the clips are rather specific. Unfortunately the CM bleeding block I purchased wasn't right, it's just too thick to go between the gearbox casing and the starter motor. Very poor design.

I ground it down and filed it as much as I could to try and fit it but in the end I just threw it in the box and gave up wth it.

The anodising was so thick it didn't push over the slave, it really was terribly designed. So I spent all night working that on.

10551449_1517164461832063_72626081803880

But ultimately couldn't get it to work.

Because the clips weren't quite tight enough or to the right design when I pushed the clutch pedal the bleeder block just slid off the end of the slave cylinder.

Ordered a complete new block with clips in the end.

460159_1517164321832077_3522181634272880

10495317_1517164531832056_48985407539298

Dad came all the way to Hastings to help me find a way to secure the bleeding block and pressure bleed the system then give everything a spanner check before heading home.

Lots of zip ties later, the block was secure enough to drive home with no clip.

Limped it to work for two days whilst I waited for the new block to arrive.

Replaced the clips, and it's perfect now.

Gave the car a clean, after three weeks outside a dusty workshop and a drive to Hastings late at night it was FILTHY.

10562705_1517172745164568_47872207026405

1614248_1517171781831331_241458048096805

1559499_1517164445165398_765412164969958

Did Bethan's Beetle whilst I was at it.

10483257_1517164465165396_24968712678142

Then went on a mini shopping spree to celebrate everything being back together.

Ordered a steering wheel boss and a 320mm steering wheel, a load of interior trim bits a Halfords Pro 100 odd piece tool kit, loads of track day related bits and pieces.

My Club GTI membership came through so I can go to the Sprint Day. All is good!

The clutch feels great, I would recommend t to everyone. I've got 400 miles on it now and t feels very strong, I haven't launched it yet but I will do over the next few weeks.

There is a little bit of judder in reverse by otherwise it feels like standard. It's very light and the engagement is very quick.

All in all I am very pleased to have it back on the road.

Next month it is getting new tires, and potentially some tasteful buckets and the back stripping out. I've had the back seats out of it this week because I am moving house, and I haven't missed them at all.

Rods are the next thing on the list, I may buy them next month and take the car off the road for two weeks in October and have a bit of a rebuild. I can't see me selling this any time soon now, it's cost me too much already.

I am trying to talk Prawn into helping me fit this boost switch for the meth so that I can get that up and running.

Mmmm, toasted dephaser.

Really lucky you were planning on doing the belts anyway. Way too many stories about people changing belts then having to do them all over again because the dephaser has gone two months later.

Because everyone loves a Clio...

sXj62Tu.jpg

• Like 1

Yay new screen! I've just lowered my seats doing the removing the washer trick. Seems so much nicer to sit in now :D

Managed to get all the belts, dephaser and oil and filter changed for £475! Would have been £515 or so but this guy is doing a 10% offer in August. Clioturbo is you've heard of the place oop north haz (Harry I presume?)

Yessssss!! Booked in for the 18th :) can't wait!

Edited by dann2707

The washer trick is good. I never did it, but then I got the Recaros, so...

Clioturbo is DTM right? Supposed to be good, will also do you a full low boost turbo set up for 3k ;)

£475 seems very good. When I bought mine I had it done for £635, that was all belts, dephaser, water pump, etc. That was Rentech in Portsmouth.

My next task is sort the leaking VVT solenoid seal. Easy enough, I just CBA.

• Like 1

Yeah he was telling me about that. It used to be his and his best mates company but they started arguing about petty things all the time so decided to go their separate ways with regards to business. They're still friends but just work differently. Guy seems incredibly friendly on the phone, but he is a geordie so I didn't expect anything different haha.

Collected some parts from a club member, fingers crossed the warm up regulator works and if it doesn't at least I have some better bumpers to go on and make the car look better...

Also robin, that really sucks! Any plans to build another already? I think buying the mega squirt might be my best option. I can run EFI on the standard engine for now, and it'll also then be wired in ready for the 1.8t, so I won't have to actually do that much extra to get the engine running once it's mounted up. I guess I'd have to pay to have the immobiliser removed off the stock 1.8t ecu and that would contribute greatly to the megasquirt. Is the microsquirt any good? Or would you not bother with it?

Edited by CurtisRider

My f**king brakes won't bleed out. There's air in there somewhere but I've spent almost 2 hours meticulously bleeding each brake with no air being released out of any nipple. No leaks on my new pipes I've fitted, pedal pumps up but slowly sinks back down. Pedal was spot on before I started doing them, so servo/master cylinder is okay. Suggestions?

ClioTurbo's run by a chap called Andrew isn't it? He built a 1.8t vw engined Clio a while back and I was chatting to him about getting the rev-counter working from his megasquirt, not sure if he ever got to the bottom of it but he seemed a nice guy. Small world.

Paul, I'm not sure about building another. The current plan seems to be to buy a car that's already rally prepared. It'll more than likely still need alterations making (most cars that have been looked at aren't in the right category so would need an engine change to get back in class C.)

I'm not sure about what exactly the deal will be with financial comeback, really the focus has been on sod all other than the people involved until the last couple of days. It sounds like there might be some hope, but it's still to early to know.

As for megasquirt, yeah, it could be adapted to run on either engine, although it depends what coil-pack set-up you wanted to use. If you used a normal toothed wheel CPS on the Porsche lump, and either ran a twin coil-pack wasted spark set-up or EDIS, then it'd all swap over to a 1.8t with just a change of HT leads and a few swapped over plugs for temp sensors and things. You could make it plug straight into both engines, but it'd mean altering the board a bit to add the extra coil-drivers for the COP set-up the 1.8t's run. My main concern would be how easy it'd be to fit electrically fired injectors on the 924 engine, it may be a fair bit of work if there's no parts bin options. Otherwise it seems a sensible option. I quite liked making mine too, it was a nice little project. Oh, and yeah, you'd have to get the immobiliser coded out, although it'd probably be no more

Today I removed the washers from underneath the seats. It's been said many a time that the driving position in the clio sports is ridiculously high. And rather than being in the car, you're on top of it. I never really properly realised this until today.
This was before...
14625729899_8e741c3f18_b.jpgDSCN2540 by dann2707, on Flickr
Then started to undo the 13mm bolts underneath the car
14789380556_70e5444f1f_b.jpgDSCN2542 by dann2707, on Flickr
Then removed these 15mm vibration mounts!
14812020652_530bec5fb3_b.jpgDSCN2543 by dann2707, on Flickr
And back in. It's kind of hard to see on this image but the driverside is done
14625714769_8c76e47b22_b.jpgDSCN2546 by dann2707, on Flickr
14625831207_d822e03f81_b.jpgDSCN2547 by dann2707, on Flickr
This is a better comparison picture if you look at the plastic base of the seat! Before
14625677440_be4a26ac6b_b.jpgDSCN2541 by dann2707, on Flickr
After
dann2707, on Flickr
The washers
14809264461_46196b98b4_b.jpgDSCN2549 by dann2707, on Flickr
14789358056_07ed7f03c3_b.jpgDSCN2551 by dann2707, on Flickr
Realised this picture is absolutely completely pointless as obviously it shows nothing due to me holding the camera at any height haha
Got in the car to drive to my sisters and it's made the car feel so much sportier as you're way lower down, felt like when I drove an Audi R8 and felt like I was pretty much sat on the ground. Such a cheap but worthwhile mod :)

Realised this picture is absolutely completely pointless as obviously it shows nothing due to me holding the camera at any height haha
Got in the car to drive to my sisters and it's made the car feel so much sportier as you're way lower down, felt like when I drove an Audi R8 and felt like I was pretty much sat on the ground. Such a cheap but worthwhile mod :)

my mini used to be like that, ass dragging along the floor :L

you used to have to get 'up' to get out of it.