The Car Thread

MadManMike

On a quest to get the wiring loom sorted in the M. It's such an incredible mess chiefly because the car was being finished in a rush. After the clutch actuating mechanism fell apart I realized how absolutely awful the mess was under the dash. Need to get everything above the steering column and into protective pipes. Then hopefully I'll also have a good view of the pedals which I've wanted to film for ages. Dash is almost out, can't wait to actually clear things up :)

Wi7tm4x.jpg

Im a total noob when it comes to stuff like this, but my new wheels are in a really bad way (worse than yours looked from the pics, and Im just curious how you managed to make them look this good?

I got them shot blasted :)

It's all in the prep work too! Lots of patience, sanding between coats. If you want a thorough step by step of what I did and you're interested in doing it I'll happily write it out mate! If I can remember lol

I got them shot blasted :)

It's all in the prep work too! Lots of patience, sanding between coats. If you want a thorough step by step of what I did and you're interested in doing it I'll happily write it out mate! If I can remember lol

I've got a shot blaster. What I really wanted to know was how you got rid of all the kerb marks?

Wow this thread has got alot longer since I was last on here :)

Re-apeared as im looking for some cranks to rebuild my bike

Thought I would give some updated info on the car as it is now

imposed myself on a cliosport trackday with the civic at Llandow the other week. Really good laugh even if I now have no front left tyre left now :lol:

20140820_burpllandow06.jpg

20140820_burpllandow30.jpg

Recently upped to 9psi and now runs I nice healthy 310bhp

Also added oil cooler and baffled sump to make it more track safe and got some blingy yellow speed coilovers with higher rated springs to fit so should be even better on track now

spec

jackson racing supercharger

toda manifold

spoon cat back

gruppe m intake

area motorsport 9 row oil cooler

clockwise motion baffled sump

hondata kpro ecu mapped by cpl racing

Yellow speed coilovers and buddy club roll centre adjusters with progress ARB

quaife atb

s2000 brakes

IMG_97120779176240_zps6b4mnr6s.jpeg

IMG-97120779176240_zps6b4mnrs.jpeg

Edited by mad_gavo
  • Like 1

My renewal came through recently, 240 odd quid fully comp, mk1 focus 1.8 tdci lx, 9 years ncb, clean license. However paying it over installments puts it up to 350 :(

Totally off topic but I've Pm'd you Forteh, not sure how often you check them so thought I would try this as well!

Sorted the brakes out again, bonus.

Last weekend really put the Landy into perspective and my god it's a dog compared to the others in our group. It's getting bolted together properly and having a few quid spent on it - need a gearbox and a turbo too which is fantastic, further shopping also includes and overdrive and a heater before winter comes.

But first, i'm throwing a whole bottle of polish at it. I like it ratty but it really does just look shit most of the time, matt grey green is lame and really lets the whole thing down given how much work's gone into it. Needs more, but it's coming up surprisingly well.

10628303_10204733033629866_7061465733785

10417729_10204734111616815_7261782934965

• Like 2

I want to wash all 3 cars and make them look pretty, especially the Astra as I can now get the thing sold. What should I get? Currently I have Autoglym shampoo and wheel cleaner, then Demonshine to make them look shiny after a wash. I also have a machine polisher that I use with various cutting compounds that I've forgotten the name of but I have plenty of them so don't need any more right now.

People seem to rave about Iron x, so I guess I'll buy some of that, I have a clay bar ready (will that be good for 2 good paintwork cars and one rough or will I need 1 for each?). What wax and sealant should I go for? I don't want to go mad, just make them look presentable. Also I would like to get them all from one place to save on postage, I noticed a site called clean my car mentioned on here before...are they the best in terms of product range and price? Prefer not to spend loads but will pay extra for something that lasts

Paul, something potentially obvious to note is that Iron-X and de-tarring should ideally be done before claying. Main reason is that you'll get more life out of the clay bar, maybe 2 cars per bar although I don't know how much you have.

I stupidly clayed mine first, and then decided to buy Iron-x and Tardis.

Define further please.

Polybushed throughout, coilovers (unsure of brand), fast road/track map... Honestly couldn't tell you further as I was only replacing a wheel bearing, droplinks and new anti-roll bar polly bushes and never looked in great detail, but it made very very light work of getting up to speed. V5 turbo, big shiny intercooler, lots of boost, and choo choo noises when you come off the go pedal.

The moment has come where:

a ) My brain can no longer comprehend what went where and there's only a faint idea of how to put this back together

b ) There is no mental capacity left to continue removing sockets and cables (1 harness left and I was staring at it for 20 minutes, then decided to call it a day)

c ) Chances this will actually work once done are not high

d ) I want to kick the guy responsible for creating this mess in the face. My main goal is to get the cables over the steering column rather than have them hang above my feet.

IuLO2X2.jpg

Already cut two ABS cables by accident, it's so nice BMW decided to make them EXACTLY the same as the driver and passenger airbag harnesses.

I'd love to sit down and remove the unnecessary bits from the loom but there is such a mess there that tracking each cable would take ages. There are a few cables which can definitely go but focusing on that at this stage will cause my brain to overload. A general idea of where things go is still there but I feel it's disappearing every time I move my head more violently.

• Like 1