The Car Thread

MadManMike

Are you not scared that with having such a low budget you'll fall into the trap of owning another money pit?

I know mx5 bits are cheap but still.

That's part of the point of MX-5s though - the parts for them are super cheap, the engines themselves are fairly bulletproof and they seem pretty simple to work on. Assuming you don't buy one that's largely rust and filler then you shouldn't really have to spend much on it at all. If, somehow, you do end up managing to absolutely f**k one up then you can just scrap it and buy a new one because they're relatively inexpensive. I'm sure he'll love me pointing it out, but for the amount of money Mike basically lost on his last car, he could have bought 2 MX-5s...

Out of interest, have you ever driven one?

That's part of the point of MX-5s though - the parts for them are super cheap, the engines themselves are fairly bulletproof and they seem pretty simple to work on. Assuming you don't buy one that's largely rust and filler then you shouldn't really have to spend much on it at all. If, somehow, you do end up managing to absolutely f**k one up then you can just scrap it and buy a new one because they're relatively inexpensive. I'm sure he'll love me pointing it out, but for the amount of money Mike basically lost on his last car, he could have bought 2 MX-5s...

Out of interest, have you ever driven one?

Nope I haven't, how come you ask?

The rust and filler kind of goes hand in hand with what I was questioning though. I know they rust like f**k.

Btw I'm not telling Mike not to get one if that's what you were implying by the have you driven one :) you should always follow your heart and if you want something you should get something. Just suggesting don't fall into the mindset of it it's super cheap it's going to be amazing like his old car as I saw that from a mile off as soon as he posted his initial post about it. Just kept my comments to myself as to not cause any arguments.

Thing is, many of them have had sills replaced or a decent repair at least. It's not an expensive fix to have done anyway.

To answer your question, no I've not driven one, but I know many people who have and they all rave about them. 3:30pm tomorrow I'll be driving one. If it's not rotten as fook I'll be buying it.

As Mark said, at £800-odd I'm not expecting a mint car with no problems, however I'm expecting it to be easy and cheap to fix if it does go wrong.

Oh and yeah, cheers Mark, that reminder was really uplifting ;)

Speaking of MX-5's, I'm moving on Monday, which is leading to a shuffle around of my cars, and probably breaking my MX-5. (Before I've even got it back on the road :() If anyone fancies purchasing a 6 point cage, MX-5 specific side mounts for bucket seats, a harness bar, an MS2 V3 megasquirt with adaptor harness, a satin black hardtop, an aftermarket exhaust manifold or a viscous LSD, get in touch. I've got quite a few other bits too, but those are the big/interesting bits off the top of my head.

Robin-megasquirt price please :)

I'll be after about £280 for the megasquirt, it's set-up as a plug and play set-up for a mk1 MX-5. I was thinking of adapting it to fit the Scirocco, but I'd rather sell it to someone as a plug and play set-up and start with a fresh kit for the 'rocco.

The mr2 did a good 600mile trip to a log cabin in wales and a good blast around the wide smooth roads (when they're straight). Even after accidentally driving up hills so steep I couldn't see the road in front of me and ending up in dense fog today I managed 38mpg and 36mpg across two fill ups. Quite a lot nicer than my usual 23ish around town.

Coilovers weren't too harsh either but I need to raise them a bit as I got quite a bit of rubbing.

Bit of progress, albeit boring progress haha and what is effectively many photos of glass ha

Finally changed my mirror glass. From my picking up the car it had one of those stick on wing mirror glass as the current one was broken. I had absolutely no idea I could just buy the glass replacements from eBay haha. So changed it... realised that this pic is just showing my crotch haha

15136947946_969586de7d_b.jpg2014-09-04 18.43.23 by dann2707, on Flickr

So annoying how it wasn't even put on at the right angle haha

14973385147_03a7736fc3_b.jpg2014-09-04 18.43.34 by dann2707, on Flickr

Glass popped off and the terminals for the heated elements disconnected.

14973378548_b263fc7623_b.jpg2014-09-04 18.44.28 by dann2707, on Flickr

And the new one on. Not sure why the pic is showing up that distortion on the top right :/ it's clear in real life haha

14973366798_3b1d36f564_b.jpg2014-09-04 18.46.03 by dann2707, on Flickr

Random pic from the garage.

14973361748_6bf056fd28_b.jpg2014-09-04 18.46.22 by dann2707, on Flickr

And finally remapped it with the 98RON map...

15159931945_5bba14b759_b.jpgIMG_20140905_191154 by dann2707, on Flickr

Jesus it's made such a great difference. The car just feels way more eager, you can now blip the throttle for a revmatch downshift and it just revs instantly. Car idles much better and sets off smoother. Seems to pull much faster now. Really am so happy with it :D It won't have made much power if any at all but it's just made the driveability of the car so much nicer.

I had a moment of madness and washed my car. Then pretty much had a mental breakdown and spread some waxy stuff on it too. Water beaded on it and everything.

A coolant hose split shortly afterwards, therefore washing cars is a bad idea and I won't be doing it again any time soon :lol:

• Like 12

Jesus it's made such a great difference. The car just feels way more eager, you can now blip the throttle for a revmatch downshift and it just revs instantly. Car idles much better and sets off smoother. Seems to pull much faster now. Really am so happy with it :D It won't have made much power if any at all but it's just made the driveability of the car so much nicer.

Didn't know changing mirror glass could make this much difference... :lol:

• Like 1

Mike has officially changed his occupation to "Hair Dresser". I assume the reason he hasn't posted yet is either because he's getting to grips with his new Toni & Guy styling tongs, or because he's going sideways somewhere.

Here you go, have a post:

I polished, waxed, hoovered and everything-elsed the car today. Here's some phone pics, destroyed via Facebook then delivered to you...

10599230_10154540453800587_4029295175144

10301954_10154540458205587_6747206580645

10671246_10154540458495587_3472174690131

10659397_10154540458780587_4215280542967

10672385_10154540459115587_1996548777418

...and yes, sideways is fun :D

• Like 1

Haha, that thing looks rad. Baller option wood steering wheel too? :P Wheels look loads better now than they did on the pic you first posted up on FB of it!

Guessing it's pretty enjoyable to drive?

Yeah the wood steering wheel and pop up lights sold it to me haha

And yup, amazing what difference it made removing the pikey centre caps. I realised they are Seat Ibiza wheels and the centre caps look pikey because the Seat badge is taken off (And they're sprayed red...)

It's amazingly good fun to drive, the tyres are very sticky so you can throw it around much like a go kart.

Definitely the most fun car I've ever owned but unfortunately also the thirstiest.

• Like 1