The Car Thread

MadManMike

Quite the opposite infact, I love my civic. It may only be 90hp with about 6 foot pound of torque but to me it's my car, it's taken so much abuse from me over the last year, any other car wouldn't of taken it.

But lets imagine for a second, that you paid £25,000 for it, would that alter the way you drive it?

Basically, and not to be too harsh, don't kid yourself that it's the best handling car ever made, it's just the way you drive it paired with a lack of power :P

But lets imagine for a second, that you paid £25,000 for it, would that alter the way you drive it?

Basically, and not to be too harsh, don't kid yourself that it's the best handling car ever made, it's just the way you drive it paired with a lack of power :P

I don't think it's the best handling car ever made, it's just that my 13 year old civic can out handle Vxr Astras, focus rs's, all sorts of Audis.

By no means is it superior to alot of other cars on the road and I will never think it is.

If it was worth £25,000, would I drive it the same? To be honest, I don't know. I'd like to think so, it would depend if I had saved for years to buy it, or i could just walk into a dealer and drive out. It it was the latter, I believe I still would drive the same as I do now.

it's just that my 13 year old civic can out handle Vxr Astras, focus rs's, all sorts of Audis.

What's this based on? What you've done on the road? Using that same method then, my 27 year old 125 must be faster than an RS4, because I once managed to drop one on a tight B road near my Dad's house.

What's this based on? What you've done on the road? Using that same method then, my 27 year old 125 must be faster than an RS4, because I once managed to drop one on a tight B road near my Dad's house.

No not faster than the above cars, because my car isn't faster than them. It would be impossible for anyone to think that. But, there has been a number of occasions, where I have out braked and out cornered cars worth considerably more than mine. The looks on their faces, it's priceless.

I have out braked and out cornered cars worth considerably more than mine.

That's why then, nobody is going to chuck a £20,000 car around like you do with your <£2000 car... I've no doubt a Focus RS could out brake any normal 1.4 Civic, but the stakes are considerably higher if it doesn't work out!

As I said, my £900 Golf out braked and out cornered a number of Porsches on the Nurburgring, but that's not because my car is more capable, or even that I'm a better driver, there was just a lot less at stake!

In short, a Reliant Robin can outhandle an Astra VXR, if the VXR driver isn't giving it as much stick as the Reliant!

Edited by Jolfa

I can imagine that an old 1.4 civic is much better at braking and handling than the newer generation of cars that have had no money spent on development. Also they wouldn't bother making something with 200+ bhp good at going round corners or stopping, that would be pointless.

• Like 1

No not faster than the above cars, because my car isn't faster than them. It would be impossible for anyone to think that. But, there has been a number of occasions, where I have out braked and out cornered cars worth considerably more than mine.

That's the key word here.

Edited by King C

I've had cars that I KNOW are slower around corners keep up with me easily through twisties, the reason being that having barrel-rolled a car through some woods a few years ago, I don't test the limit of traction in my car at high speeds. If you were following me, then I'm sure it'd look like I was pushing on to the cars limits, but I wouldn't be even close at any speed above ~50, because I just don't take the risks anymore.

Civics are pretty nice handling little cars for a hatch, but the difference to other hatchbacks is still small enough that most other hatches will keep up with only very minor mods against an untouched Civic.

Like I said, the 'best handling FWD car' quotes about Integras annoy me, because handling is to at least some extent subjective, as well as being dependent on the conditions. Plus what about things like the later Lotus Elan and other 'performance' FWD stuff, Honda aren't the only people to have developed FWD past shopping duties. It's like saying an MX-5 is the best handling RWD car, they're brilliant fun, well developed and a whole heap of fun to drive, but there's no way you could claim they were the best handling option.

Edited by RobinJI

I love my Civic (FN2). It is, more-or-less, all things to me. Fast, turns in beautifully, has such nice neutral handling for a FWD, loads of toys and has room for bikes in the back. I'm sure it's not properly fast (compared to modified stuff) but it's faster than 95% of the cars on the road. Plus it sounds so sweet and it encourages you to drive at 8000+ rpm (VTEC yo etc). I've never driven a 'teg but I'd imagine they're a very similar experience to my Civic - To whoever that said an Integra has no character, I can't believe that's true for a second. Awesome cars.

I'm thinking about changing it at some point - just because I fancy a change, and at the moment my 'car history' isn't very extensive, but I honestly can't think of anything that ticks all the boxes quite so well. Maybe on an objective level, an S4 (avant) would be a better all-round car. But they don't excite me at all.

Ok guys, I know some people don't want to push there cars. I've slowed down tremendously since I had my accident last march.

But I know I've done it, seen how displeased they are when it's happened. But this isn't a contest.

I do have a Question though, regarding insurance. I pay mine monthly, say I was to sell my car tomorrow and no longer have one, if I cancelled the policy would I have to pay up the remaining premium or would the months cover I've already paid for settle it?

I do have a Question though, regarding insurance. I pay mine monthly, say I was to sell my car tomorrow and no longer have one, if I cancelled the policy would I have to pay up the remaining premium or would the months cover I've already paid for settle it?

They'll normally just stop your monthly payments, though some arsehole companies will charge you mental admin/cancellation fees which often cost more than what the remaining payments would total. Phone them and ask :)

They'll normally just stop your monthly payments, though some arsehole companies will charge you mental admin/cancellation fees which often cost more than what the remaining payments would total. Phone them and ask :)

Right ok dude, it's just that I could be getting a new car and my current insurance company (privilege) aren't the cheapest for that car so I may need to cancel and reinsure the new one elsewhere.

Problem is with cancelling is that if you don't carry on with the same company you don't get for example 6 months no claims added to what you had before your policy began. You have to wait til the end of your policy to get that years ncb. Night be something worth noting (Y)

Yeah, if you're anywhere near the end of the policy it'd be a shame to loose the no claims you've built up so far.

Just agreed to buy another trials bike :D There might actually be a reason for me to use this forum other than this thread, yay! haha

• Like 1

Problem is with cancelling is that if you don't carry on with the same company you don't get for example 6 months no claims added to what you had before your policy began. You have to wait til the end of your policy to get that years ncb. Night be something worth noting (Y)

I'm only a few weeks into my policy anyway dude, but thanks anyway mate. Im sure a lot of people do forget that though!

A few weeks ago some little bugger broke a pivot my wiper mechanism (they had pulled up everybodies wipers on the street and yanked too hard on mine it seems), since then another part has sheared so I got round to swapping it all over this morning in some lovely rain. I can now actually see when it's raining! Also fitted a new relay for my glow plugs as I think it has been intermittently working, sometimes the cars starting fine and other times its a slug and runs a bit weirdly suggesting the glows aren't coming on whilst the engine warms up. So far it seems good again.

2013-03-16101537_zps31b51595.jpg