The Car Thread

MadManMike

I had some old brakes.

They looked tired:

24C94A97-5AB1-4C83-988F-CBC3EBE28179_zps

so I sprinkled a bit of fairy dust around, and turned them into AP 4 pots instead:

DE4E1437-D28F-4445-B917-21A47C02E733_zps

A041812A-AF0C-404C-8544-B69908A97AF6_zps

Sadly, we took a gamble on these used discs being OK, and they're not. So I now have epic braking power and fancy looking Ap brakes, that don't work all that well because they judder.

Going to try and get the discs skimmed and see how that works out.

So, 5 days until my car goes in for its custom mapping. Finally got all the little jobs sorted to get it mappable (fitting new coilover spring platforms to replace the seized ones, raising the coilovers, changing lambda sensor, changing cone filter, extend boost solenoid wiring, alter wmi wiring, fit new wmi solenoid, fit new battery in boot, fit replacement exhaust manifold...to name a few!)

The custom mapping was originally booked for 21st December, but what with my crash, and various other things getting in the way, it's been a long time coming! Just hope nothing else goes wrong in the mean time...this car has a bit of a habit of doing that! Passenger door lock is getting a bit intermittent, but that can wait for the time being.

This next 2 weeks is going to go VERY slowly!

• Like 2

It was literally on boost for a second to see if it would boost, to see if my switch wiring was correct. Wasn't going to go flat out on boost, I know it would kill it. I was more on about the noise it made dumping the boost, sounded very sexy...had forgotten what more than 14psi was like!

Agreed, looks fantastic.

There's something about a Porsche 911 that just really does it for me. I've got no idea what, but they're just, 'proper'

Drove the A3 to work today, so thought I'd add a pic or two, just to show that it is possible to make a poor image even worse with the use of some free editing apps :lol:

88BF84F5-9461-4EC6-B8C6-D36B21EBE65D_zps

A5DB6B29-7D71-48FF-9DF6-59A34AF0712F_zps

Brakes bedding in nicely now, judder has all but gone to a light vibration on light application at a certain speed only.

I think it was mainly pad deposits, as the old pads were DS2500's, which are famous for causing horrid judder when changing away from ferrodo pads. A few more miles and they should be bang on :)

• Like 1