The Car Thread

MadManMike

I like that Dan, more my sort of thing than the pokey BBS, looks very smart. Should look even better with a slight colour change.

Thanks Robin, I prefer these too! Looks a lot more sensible now, and doesn't look awful with the car raised up like the others did.

I need to have a play on Photoshop and see what colours I like...

Definitely prefer those wheels too mate, thought the BBS' were like a trying too hard / overdone sort of look.

I am masssssssively f**ked off, literally lost my respect for mankind now..

So I got an email last week from some guy asking for advice on his car as it was messing up and he came to me because he'd seen that I knew my stuff about pd130 engines.

Lots of texts from him asking for advice and I help him loads blah blah, he then wants to meet up so I say i'm free Wednesday at 10 (today), he then turns up 2 hours late kept making excuses saying oh I 'll set off soon etc.

He then gets to mine, and I already anticipated it but he is the biggest f**king chav I have ever seen, along with his mate. I spend a good 4 hours diagnosing the problem, doing lots of vagcom scans for him, swapping over parts from my car to find his problem.

We then find the problem to be broke wires coming from the MAP sensor, the whole car was rattling to pieces so i'm not f**king surprised, lots of loose wires, basically a chav mobile.

Get to the end of it and they're about to leave and go "right so how much do I owe you", I didn't even expect anything, just a thank you but they offered so I said however much you want so they said they'd go get £20 out at the cash machine up the road, told them exactly where to go to find it... 15 minutes later they didn't return, call the guy and his phone is off...

Finally get through after a while and they say they're just stopping at another cash point as the last one they went to was conveniently out of order. He then says he'll wire me the money through when he gets home. He then makes the excuse of he can't get on online banking and he'll go to the bank tomorrow to sort it out.

He then had the f**kING cheek to ask me more questions about his car.

Literally the last time I help someone of that nature, it's not the money aspect of it, I couldn't give a f**k about £20, it's the principle and the lies that I, as a person, cannot stand.

Such a shit feeling knowing i'd gone massively out of my way, waiting for them to be late, helping them taking parts off my car to find their fault then to be left like that feeling so used ha

Well that sucks Dann. Don't give up on helping people out though, just choose them better! A large portion of my friends I only know because I helped one broken down couple on the road-side on my way home from college one day. They invited me to a mates workshop to use the ramp/tools as a thank-you and now a few years on I've gained a great group of friends.

While we're on the subject of oversized aero, this is how 'my' MX-5 looks right now! BIGGAYWING!

post-4312-0-72687200-1392842773_thumb.jp

(To be fair to the chap I'm buying it off, he is a knowledgable guy, and I'm sure given more time with the car it would have evolved to something a bit more serious.)

Edited by RobinJI
  • Like 2

Nahh I was only half joking about the helping others, love helping people when I can but like you say, just got to be selective next time I suppose.

I had bad feelings straight away but you know when you're like "this might just prove me wrong", well it didn't haha.

Well this is what we've all been waiting for.

http://youtu.be/Kb8tGX-HPQE

Edit: been thinking about what the point of such cars is. At the end of the day, Chris is probably one of the few people in the world (owners included) who will actually drive this car hard. The way I see it, such cars are just a research platform - they are built purely to redefine what's possible because that's what we as a species do. This technology is not developed to allow people to achieve faster lap times because frankly speaking, there's not going to be that many people on earth competent enough to take this thing to it's limit.

The fact these cars are later put into production and sold is just a way of paying for all the research. So I don't see this as a business model, more as a playground for scientists to develop tech which can later be implemented in the cheaper road cars.

Edited by Greetings
  • Like 4

A lot of income for car companies like mclaren and ferrari etc isn't primarily through cars. A lot comes through expensive t-shirts with badges on etc. I would have thought making an amazing car would boost these kind of sales, so it would be profitable indirectly. That's my thought anyway.

Are there insurance companies that do "better" deals on older cars, if the drivers a first timer?

Ive got a possible chance of coming into ownership of a Mk2 Golf Cabriolet. Getting quotes around £2000/2500 but wondered if there was anywhere that could do better.

Are there insurance companies that do "better" deals on older cars, if the drivers a first timer?

Ive got a possible chance of coming into ownership of a Mk2 Golf Cabriolet. Getting quotes around £2000/2500 but wondered if there was anywhere that could do better.

Give general accident a try (Y)

Have you put your parents on etc the policy? Even if they don't drive it, It could save you alot of money! My quote went down about £550 with my dad & brother as second drivers :)

I noticed the other day I have a broken clip connector to the top of my gearbox and the wire is just dangling loose.

What is it for? My initial thought was it's the reverse light but that works perfectly fine? It's not the speed sensor either as my mpg display and rpm works fine too.

Gear box is a 6 speed from my ibiza tdi#

It's at the right of this image in between the gear linkages.

CAM00488_zpsf1d3ghie.jpg

Whilst I'm on my epic 5 month wait for.my st to be built, I've had an.email back from the lease company.

Apparently there struggling to match me up with a car of similar specification, but have a Mercades A class AMG sport edition in, if I want that.

Two things come to mind

I quite like the new a class so wouldn't mind it.

How good is this st I'm getting?!

Still would prefer an sls ;)

The cunt who f**ked me off the other day has just posted on a "cruise" facebook group:

********* ANYONE ON HERE LOCAL TO BLACKBURN GOT A SEAT IBIZA 1.9TDI PD130 INBOX ME ASAP THANKS ************

haha and is completely ignoring my fbook messages and texts. What a royal f**k. Another person he can leech off, that's all he is, a f**king leech.

Okay thanks for clearing that up mate.

What should it affect?! Because it's giving me no driving faults?

Oops just read that you said if it is not it is.

POTENTIALLY the ESP, does the ESP kick in on long bends?

Does the speed sensor talk to the steering angle sensor, or is that the ABS sensors?

ESP has nothing to do with the speed sensor, it uses the abs rings to determine speed.

When I had a speed sensor fault, my fuel gauge went nuts, as well as the speedo. You obviously dont have that problem, so presumably its not the same thing. Not sure about Ibizas, but on my O2M box, the only electrical connectors are the speed sensor and the reverse switch (apart from the starter motor wiring of course). Ibiza box could be different, but theres not really anything else you need to detect on a box (apart from maybe fluid level or temperature...neither of which an Ibiza has provisions to monitor).