The Car Thread

MadManMike

I have been driving my girlfriends mums BMW 530D Gran Turismo (got it for a month whilst shes away) and although in so many ways it is a great car with all its little cool gadgets and super comfy ride, it just doesn't have that thing about it that my 924 does. I love how my old car is totally not perfect and how you have to really work it to make the most of it, there is very little enjoyment for me in a car like the BMW with 250BHP and loads of torque as you just can't make utlise it unless you drive like a total wanker and even then you catch up somebody doing a snails pace on the fun bits.

Hmg/cm2, (someone will undoutably correct that :) ) .venturi works the same blown or sucked but that's not how an actuator works as there is no air flow, just vacuum. So if the vacuum over cm2 tube is similar to oe your cool as long as the tube doesn't collapse.

I checked the id's of the pipes.

The original one is 6mm whereas the new one I added additionally to that is around 3mm or so.

But I didn't replace it like for like, it was fitted to the original pipe so it was lengthened by 150mm or so. but it would have been restricting it surely.

Just checked the exhaust wheel and it's absolutely perfect! No play again and no oil lingering around. Strange.

I checked the id's of the pipes.

The original one is 6mm whereas the new one I added additionally to that is around 3mm or so.

But I didn't replace it like for like, it was fitted to the original pipe so it was lengthened by 150mm or so. but it would have been restricting it surely.

Just checked the exhaust wheel and it's absolutely perfect! No play again and no oil lingering around. Strange.

na, wouldn't cause a restriction as there is no flow, once vacuum is achieved is stays stable. I don't see there is a problem to be honest, but if you double the oe length pipe with the 3mm pipe you'll have the same cm2 of vacuum presumably? Figure the smaller pipe will achieve vacuum twice as fast(being half the size) and may open the actuator sooner, could try that, if its still the same, which I think it will be, it has to be the veins, as there is no other mechanical way to control boost, unless you use a lighter sprung actuator and an electronic boost controller. Air bypass/diverter/bov not stuck open is it? That'll dump all the boost off

No BOV as it's a diesel mate. Its a VNT.

Went for a drive and it's still doing the same, gotta be the length of the rod but it's been changed so it's at 4k revs it's hitting 75% duty cycle which coincides with this here

http://uk-mkivs.net/topic/34834-vnt-tdi-turbo-how-to-adjust-actuator-cure-boost-problems/

It's still making the squeeching noise when doing it too.

Edited by dann2707

huh, so you've upped the pressure how is it releaved? Does it just stall the compressor? I thought it got dumped into the egr?

This is kinda what I thought hapened. http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/224484-yeti-fording-depth/ look for the schematic, don't know the technical term for that valve :(

Diesels arnt my thing, as you have probably guessed :)

Diesel's don't use a throttle to control engine power, so don't need a blow off valve, as the throttle doesn't suddenly shut and obstruct air-flow. (Some diesels do use a throttle like butterfly valve to improve efficiency, but it's not used like a throttle is in a petrol.)

My guess would just be that it's probably not a mechanical issue. Either the N75's duff, or something's up with the management, be it mapping or a sensor that's reading incorrectly.

Took both the cars out for a spin with Jardo on Sunday evening.

Was still light when we took Mini out, so we got a few pics.

It’s looking a little tired after 2 years in the garage, and this was after it’s first very light clean. Going to need some proper work on the paintwork to get it looking it’s best again, but I’m sure Jardo can sort it out :D

DSC_0162_zps07d7ef3e.jpg

DSC_0152_zps068d31a0.jpg

DSC_0156_zps1f2e2470.jpg

DSC_0158_zpsae5d264e.jpg

DSC_0161_zpscf6ba2cd.jpg

• Like 2

it is :)

I'm still getting used to it again, and havn't really opened it up really fully yet due to the brakes needing some attention. We did a little pull to 7k in all the gears on Sunday and it felt great

I need to get it back into my head that I'm not hurting it when pushing it on to 7k, because it's just SOOOO loud it's unreal.

Can't get enough of the straight cut box though, just blipping it and downshifting approaching bends is the best sound ever!

• Like 2

Car went for an oil service today, and I knew they'd pick out some bits that were wrong with the car. Needs new shocks and springs on the rear, which I'd kind of guessed but neglected to check because I couldn't be arsed. Nothing was rubbing, but because one of the rear tyres had dangerous bulges on the inner sidewall I had the rears changed. This evenings drive home was full of scraping, oops.

Best be ordering some bits then...

Sounds like it's pulling well Nick, I can't decide wether to persevere with the turbo or swap to a properly sorted n/a...

Depends if you want it to be fast or not.

N/A A series just cannot be made powerful enough to still be modern day fast. Not economically compared to the cost of a turbo setup anyway.

Min's aren't about speed though, they are about the ambience and the character of the car. And character isn't something that sits right with a Mini for me...