The Car Thread

MadManMike

Ooo second for Subaru Justy,

+1, Justys are so awesome.

Growing up in the country and going to a rural school, a lot of guys were from farming backgrounds and had 'field cars'. We cobbled together a couple of hundred quid between about 5 of us and picked up a Justy. Best field car ever - small engine, 4wd and the thing took such a beating

Just had the autoglass man try to lecture me on my rain repellent saying I can use any polish and it will work just as well as the £13 product I have just applied hahahaa. One of those things where you don't want to argue so you just kind of agree and go oh right yeah.

So cleaned car inside and out, got bosch aero blades as the oem wipers flap about at 70+. Next on the list is overhaul the ignition (got brand new oem ht leads with the car unfitted) so need dizzy, rotor and some plugs. After than changing all the fluids and filters and fitting braided hoses with new pads (maybe discs too? Current ones dont have much of a lip).

Getting rear tyres done soon as have one conti and one nankang in 235/40/17 and I'd rather the "proper" 245/35/17, fronts will be done next month.

Anything else I've missed in terms of giving the car a proper service?

Go through all the water drains and make sure they are clear and not full of muck to avoid getting condensation issues/water getting in the electrics. Clean all earthing points with emery cloth and apply copper grease. Clean all fuse contacts and replace any corroded fuses. Get the battery load tested and check the alternator output to ensure they are both in tip top order. Fill the fuel filter with Forte before you fit it, this will burn some poop out of the engine without dragging crap from the tank through the lines. Replace the brake oil, coolant and transmission oil so that all the fluids are nice and fresh.

Sounds like lots of extra effort but it's better to do those things now than find out later on your way home in the dark in the pouring rain :$ I wish I had gotten all those jobs over and done with on all my cars, even the newer ones.

I went to look at another Cooper S this week, walked away because I don't want to impulse buy this time. And they didn't quite offer me enough for the A3.

Decided I wanted it (it's the best out of the four I have looked at) and then got a phone call saying it was sold.

Mother f**kers.

They're popular enough for something very similar if not the same to pop up again in no time, don't worry too much dude.

My dads had problems getting the camper running over the past few weeks after fitting a new motor so I went over to offer fresh eyes, got it running in the end. Specs are-

Twin solex 40s, 1641, balanced bottom end, spicy cam(unsure what), alternator conversion, vintage speed exhaust pack.

Got up't running today after cleaning the carbs and it's pretty furious for a bus. It wants a good tune but first impressions are good. He's been offered a freeway flyer 5speed for it, but drums all round probably want tending to first before adding any more speed. :P

Wondering if changing my vac pipe for the vnt mechanism is giving me dodgy boost problems as the inner diameter changes half way from the n75 to the actuator for the turbo.

Not sure how it works and wondering if that could give me dodgy boost issues

Although today I got in the car and it told me my oil was low. I normally check it and this just happened to be the same time I'm thinking one of my bearings in the turbo has gone :(

When I ask how it could affect it, I'm referring to the back pressure idea of If a hole is narrower it comes out at a higher velocity and pressure. Bit like squeezing a hose pipe end and the water coming out with higher pressure. Really not sure how the vacuum system works in relation to the dia of the pipe if anyone does know?

Hmg/cm2, (someone will undoutably correct that :) ) .venturi works the same blown or sucked but that's not how an actuator works as there is no air flow, just vacuum. So if the vacuum over cm2 tube is similar to oe your cool as long as the tube doesn't collapse.

Edited by *gentlydoesit

I beleive the VNT mechanism vanes open as the vacuum increases with revs. Surely if the pipe you've installed is larger the Vacuum pressure would effectivly drop and the turbo would be over-boosting. Which over time would cause damage to the bearings etc.

So you would probably find your car felt slightly more powerful with better MPG especially if you're burning oil too.

Does it occasionally just go into limp Mode?

Edited by GavLawson

So I had a quick eyeball of this http://tribes.tribe.net/dieselpower/photos/7a0d3320-0c3b-49f2-8298-b32868853342 and I guess that the actuator is operating at the wrong values or you need to adjust it so the veins are in the right place per rpm.

(First internal pic I found)

Edited by *gentlydoesit