The Car Thread

MadManMike

BGW is shit. The front splitter far superseded the requirement for downforce aero, it just looks gay driving on the road with the BGW on.

It looks fat as f**k from the back whilst wingless, and it's more than quick enough.

Please leave that shit off until you have the time and resources to sort a permanent addition.

BGW is shit. The front splitter far superseded the requirement for downforce aero, it just looks gay driving on the road with the BGW on.

It looks fat as f**k from the back whilst wingless, and it's more than quick enough.

Please leave that shit off until you have the time and resources to sort a permanent addition.

Please stop talking about my car like it's your project :lol: it isn't (N)

BGW will probably remain off for the road, but will always be refitted for track, as it makes a noticeable difference.

BGW needs to exist, BGW started the aero for me.

In reality, the splitters effect seems to have largely over ruled the wing.

The wing improved the car a little, and it's effects could be felt clearly, but the splitter REALLY changed it dramatically.

With the wing removed, the splitters effects are still very obvious, and the car still feels good, but I wouldn't say it negates the wings requirement entirely. Whilst the splitter has sorted out how air moves over the car after it hits the front, there will still be lift generated at the back. the splitter is just making the whole car feel more stable at speed, so lessens the requirement for the wing perhaps.

I'd say it's probably a 70-30 or 80-20 split, but the wing will remain until I can sort out something a little better. perhaps an even bigger gayer wing, who knows!

Haha, hey! I'm quite enjoying having a boring normal desk job actually! Especially the part where I get home at 5 with loads of energy still. ;D

I'd lend you the BGW that's coming on the MX-5, but it's the sort with a different angle of attack in the middle to account for the different direction of air-flow off the roof of a coupe/saloon car (at least I think that's why the center section's different?) so it'd look REALLY silly on the A3.

Speaking of which, I'm getting really excited about the MX-5. 5 and a bit weeks to go. Can't wait to have the freedom of having a back-up car so I can get some work done on the Scirocco, as well as the extra fun of the little Mazda. I know it's going to feel VERY slow at first though.

How do I know if my cambelt is going to snap? Apparently it's impossible to tell. I had a proper look at the caddy at college on the lift, the cambelt cover was just hanging loosely not attached to any bolts, the cambelt had even made a hole in the cover. f**king scary driving home but having driven a few hundred miles since I'm a bit more comfortable now.

Also anybody have any tips for arch rolling? Where to get it done professionally etc.

Annnnd last thing...

When the car is lifted up, the front drive-side wheel drops, you can move the coilover springs about easily. How do I fix this? New coilovers I'm guessing? Been driving 1k miles like it so far and doesn't seem to be causing any problems.

Cheers chaps. :)

How do I know if my cambelt is going to snap? Apparently it's impossible to tell. I had a proper look at the caddy at college on the lift, the cambelt cover was just hanging loosely not attached to any bolts, the cambelt had even made a hole in the cover. f**king scary driving home but having driven a few hundred miles since I'm a bit more comfortable now.

Also anybody have any tips for arch rolling? Where to get it done professionally etc.

Annnnd last thing...

When the car is lifted up, the front drive-side wheel drops, you can move the coilover springs about easily. How do I fix this? New coilovers I'm guessing? Been driving 1k miles like it so far and doesn't seem to be causing any problems.

Cheers chaps. :)

There really is no way of knowing with the belt, could go tomorrow, could last 3 more years. It's why service history of the belt's changes is so important, because if you don't have history to show it's been changed recently, to be sure it isn't about to go really you have to change it. Luckily for an old diesel VW it's only about £40/50s worth of parts and pretty easy. I'd get it sorted soon if I was you. (I can't really talk though, the belt on my 20vt is running with the assumption 'it looked new when I bought the engine' must change that!)

As for the spring coming loose, that's fine and pretty normal with coilovers. All 4 springs do it on my Scirocco, as long as they re-seat again without being guided/helped when the cars dropped back down it's not a problem and will pass an MOT. The only odd thing's that you say only one side does it. If you don't like it doing it, coilovers usually come with helper springs which are small super-soft springs that take up the slack when the car's in the air, but are full compressed once the car's weights on it. On mk1's these often get in the tyres way when lowish and end up removed. They're pretty cheap and available separately if you do want to fit them, although there's no real ill effects from not having them, just a floppy spring when the car's jacked up.

Edited by RobinJI
  • Like 1

Changed my wheels. Heard that the Police are going crazy this year over stretched tyres, and specific load ratings for tyres etc...

1926642_10153814278590317_949007224_n.jp

013fea32996f11e3b73112b5d8ba405e_8.jpg
Land Rover wheels! Comet's off of a Disco' 2.
Bought the wheels off of a mate for £80, got some custom adapters made for £220.

I'm happy with them :)

Also felt like a boss on my way back from collecting the adapters. Driving along, see a dead pheasant in the road, aired up over it, cleared it, and aired back down.
Felt like gadget man! :D

• Like 2

The BBS reps were cool, but the tyres weren't illegal, and I fancied a change!
I'm going to Photoshop different colours onto them and see what I like. Thinking creme at the moment...

That bloody door trim! Haha. Been missing for over a year... I happily spend £220 on wheel adapters but can't justify £35 on a bit of plastic. -_-

I like that Dan, more my sort of thing than the pokey BBS, looks very smart. Should look even better with a slight colour change.

Does anyone have any suggestions of satin colours that'd look good on the MX-5? I'm going to rule out black (I just don't think satin black suits MX-5's) and Nato green (A friend had a nato green one).

I'll probably end up using Montana Graffiti paint as it covers really well and's easy to apply, also that's what's on the car now, so I know I won't have reaction issues. At the moment I'm thinking of their 'concrete' colour which is kind of a dark brown with a slightly gold tint.

These have been painted 'concrete':

post-4312-0-40607300-1392834455_thumb.jp

'Cassis' which is a dark blue:

post-4312-0-69928700-1392834603_thumb.jp

Or I kind of like the idea of a pale miliraty colour like 'Duck season':

post-4312-0-74736800-1392834791_thumb.jp

A quick Photoshop to try out ideas:

post-4312-0-35897000-1392834962_thumb.jppost-4312-0-02759600-1392835035_thumb.jp

post-4312-0-71425400-1392835076_thumb.jppost-4312-0-81661800-1392835106_thumb.jp

I'm not much of a fan of the holes in the bumper, so I may replace it before chucking any paint on.

Edited by RobinJI

Necessary.

We had two cars in last week that had been run without covers. Shit eventually finds its way in there and can make a proper mess.
Both had all their valves done, stem seals... ones still in the yard while we decide if its worth fitting a used lump in.
Only takes a stone to get caught in it all and thats it.

• Like 1