The Car Thread

MadManMike

Adam, you're largely right about that shifting, it's a mix of the loading on the box at the time and the cars traction. You can only really shift dog boxes clutchless when you're going pretty flat out. The issues down shifts more than up shifts, so if you're braking hard and crashing through a few gears it's usually easier to stick the clutch in than match the revs perfectly through multiple gears. On the up shifts it's mostly his first shift or 2 out of a corner, where it sounds like he's short shifting because the car's struggling for traction, using the clutch will give a smoother change to unsettle the car less (sequential/bog box shifts like that really do jolt the whole car quite violently) as well as allowing for the fact he's not making a 'normal' shift where he'd know the timing to rev match through instinct, plus the box might not like it too much at those revs anyway. It does depend on the car, but he's treating that very much as Ben has to the Sadev in the rally car. (Only Ben's not quite at that level yet :P)

Just got home from Bristol on the back of a recovery truck thanks to a 1 year old CV joint exploding. Lots of hassle and arguing over the phone with the RAC because my car's modified, which wasn't fun, but they got me back in the end. Certainly won't be renewing with them though if it takes a 2 hour argument on the phone to get them to abide by their own terms and conditions every time, I'm less than impressed. Looks like I'll be fitting a new (quality brand) CV joint tomorrow evening then. Can't wait to get the MX-5 so I've got a back-up car and don't have to rush around to fix this sort of thing. I've been recomended ADAC recovery, anyone tried them?

Edited by RobinJI
  • Like 1

Adam, you're largely right about that shifting, it's a mix of the loading on the box at the time and the cars traction. You can only really shift dog boxes clutchless when you're going pretty flat out.

For some reason I just assumed it would be a sequential box with paddles :blink: So that makes complete sense.... cheers.

Getting a bit fed up with the van at the moment. The rust in places is ridiculous, srs light on, handbrake sticking on I think, gear change ludicrously stiff and got a bulb warning light yet no blown bulbs. Not very much but it's kinda come on at once. Sorry it's a bit ranty this post, I've loved having the van though, it's so useful!

Last weekend I went to see my wedding reception venue. Unfortunately the road to it was more pothole than flat surface, and ended up ripping the undertray to bits and giving me a puncture. At least I got to use my new axle stands.

post-497-0-09244300-1393262775_thumb.jpg

I've also recently replaced the springs and shocks on the back due to corrosion, as well as bodging a hole in the exhaust for the time being. So essentially I've done more to this than I probably ever did to the 5.

I washed it after, I promise.

Don't you work for a body shop? Surely rust shouldn't be an issue to sort! Bulb warning light can be down to low resistance suggesting huge bulbs on its way out, have you cleaned up all the contacts and earth points?

I used to work in a body shop, eventually when I've got some spare time I'll go back and paint it all up. It's been painted quickly and shoddily which is a pain. The tailgate will want replacing I think cause it's a right state.

I need to spend a day an pull my finger out and crack on and get it all sorted and yes the mini was far less rusty :P

It it worth having a gay telematics box installed on my first car to bring my insurance down?

Got quotes at £1,600 on my Civic with a box, am I tied into using the box on my second year to keep that price/have it go down?

That is a very good quote. My friend who uses one says apparently the box only works for the first 2 months then after that they can't do anything if you speed etc.

Dreaded the caddy being renewed on insurance next month but a few phone calls meant it's £1150 for 10k miles! Well chuffed, or £1250 for 15k miles. What shall I go for?

That is a very good quote. My friend who uses one says apparently the box only works for the first 2 months then after that they can't do anything if you speed etc.

Dreaded the caddy being renewed on insurance next month but a few phone calls meant it's £1150 for 10k miles! Well chuffed, or £1250 for 15k miles. What shall I go for?

Is that your quoted milage? How do they check and what happens if you lie?

Is that your quoted milage? How do they check and what happens if you lie?

That's how many miles they'll insure me under for a year, they can check through the MOT certificate. They'll just increase your premium that's all, or worst case scenario you have a crash and you're over the miles you declared they may decide not to pay the claim at all.

So...mapping was a total disaster!

Due to badly selected exhaust parts working against each other, the turbo which produced 353bhp on Prawn's car would only ever produce 280bhp on mine.

...back to the drawing board then! Gutted isn't even the word. When I rang for a progress update to be told that, my heart dropped :(

Have ordered a new better flowing downpipe and exhaust, and am getting the turbo hotside and exhaust manifold enlarged, so at the end of it hopefully I will end up with more power than I was originally hoping for.

That's the plan anyway! Whether it actually makes more is another story!

Nah, didn't have to pay full whack. He only had it on the dyno to do a health check.

The way the map is to run it at it's absolute full potential first, to see if it can cope, rather than wasting a week building up to it and wasting all that time and money.

Think he said it would be £60, but he also said he will take that off the cost of the final map...so it's basically free. Yesterday really showed what community spirit is all about. I was ready to hand the towel in and sell the car, but the generosity of several people has encouraged me to carry on.

I just hope it is worth it in the long run, I really have had enough of this car now!

• Like 1