The Car Thread

MadManMike

George, sad to hear it's been troublesome, out of interest, what was up with your current exhaust system? I'm glad Nikki and Bill have lived up to their reputations/excelled themselves and turned it into a potentially positive situation though!

Tyre shop ordered 215/45/17 rather than 215/40/17 so I've got to put up with rubbing on half lock until they fit the correct size tomorrow -.-

Sucks. The good news is, tomorrows not very far away.

The Scirocco's got a new CV joint on there now so's back on the road. It feels so much better for having done the wheel bearings over the weekend. The whole thing feels much more solid and less crashy. Sadly I think there is a very slight rumble coming from the only bearing I didn't replace, so that'll need doing sooner or later. With those sorted as well as the larger grippier tyres and slightly raised suspension I did last week it feels much better. As long as nothing goes wrong any time soon I think it's at a stage where I could start adding more power without the car loosing its balance. I'll have to keep an eye out for a k03s. That said the MX-5 will take priority in terms of tuning once I've picked it up, so the Scirocco will probably only be seeing tidying up and maintenance for a little while.

Edited by RobinJI

So this is a major PITA. I'm lucky as robin said tomorrow isn't long away but I have another dilemma, I'm 5miles from home and the tyres rub badly to the point it smells like burning rubber after a 2minute journey. The shop wants the tyres back in good nick to send back, do I risk the drive home and back tomorrow? Surely 215/45/17 can't be too far from the 225/40/17 that were on before?

Edit*

No wonder the f**ker rubs

A87B7387-C91E-486A-9AC7-382370C960F0-173

Edited by Azarathal

The old tyres must've been snug enough as it is then I'm guessing. Wondering whether they've put the right wheels on the right end of the car too, my dad got the tyres fitted as I was working until 7. Got 7j front and 8j rears, I'm thinking if they've had all wheels off at the same time they mightve got mixed up?

Feel like I might as well give some kind of progress update. The zetec mk2 thing has kinda died unfortunately. We were starting to make really good progress, and then one of the group mentioned that he was buying a new car to replace his Sierra. So naturally we're getting rid of the rotten Fiesta and doing an engine swap on the Sierra instead. Not such a bad turn of events I guess, just a shame I've wasted time and money on the Fiesta. The Sierra is already a well set up car, so all it needs is more power. Not sure on what engine to go for yet though.

As for my shed, I'm not really sure where I stand with it. I'm still really tempted to fit the newer engine including a bigger turbo and an opened up exhaust. On the other hand it's a bit of a shed and many areas could do with some work, so I can't decide how much time and money I should spend on it. I think what I'll do is compression test the current engine. If it's all good then I'll just whack the turbo on it, have a bit of fun for a few months (hopefully), and then re-assess the situation.

• Like 1

I'm thinking about getting rid of my Leon and getting some cheap ass old Civic or something. Really fed up with everything breaking on it.

Every time I drive it something breaks or a warning light comes on. I am struggling to even like this car, let alone love it.

Welcome to VAG ownership :lol:

• Like 1

Feel like I might as well give some kind of progress update. The zetec mk2 thing has kinda died unfortunately. We were starting to make really good progress, and then one of the group mentioned that he was buying a new car to replace his Sierra. So naturally we're getting rid of the rotten Fiesta and doing an engine swap on the Sierra instead. Not such a bad turn of events I guess, just a shame I've wasted time and money on the Fiesta. The Sierra is already a well set up car, so all it needs is more power. Not sure on what engine to go for yet though.

As for my shed, I'm not really sure where I stand with it. I'm still really tempted to fit the newer engine including a bigger turbo and an opened up exhaust. On the other hand it's a bit of a shed and many areas could do with some work, so I can't decide how much time and money I should spend on it. I think what I'll do is compression test the current engine. If it's all good then I'll just whack the turbo on it, have a bit of fun for a few months (hopefully), and then re-assess the situation.

2.1 all steel pinto with a stage 3 burton power cylinder head, kent fr34 cam, and weber 45's. Simples

• Like 1

Further information and photos as promised...

I was on the way to the woods to do some digging at our trails, national speed limit road, cruising at around 60mph when I saw something come out from the right across the road in front of me. Realised it was a mini bus so hit the brakes hard, I think I started to turn to try and avoid it as well but basically just accepted I was going to hit it. Airbags went off, I spun 180 and ended up facing back the way I had come from and the mini bus got spun 90 and finished facing the opposite way to me. For some strange reason I casually turned off the ignition, put the hand brake and hazard lights on before forcing the door open to get out.

The mini bus was coming out of a work site and going straight across the road into another part of the site in a different field where they are installing a large solar panel system. According to the 2 witnesses that stopped they heard a load of shouting in foreign and a few people ran away from the mini bus back into the field. Everyone in the mini bus was apparently OK. It turned out it was a load of Portuguese workers in a Portuguese hire vehicle that were just about to leave work to go back to their accommodation, the guy that was driving had a licence that ran out in 2005 so he got arrested.

485140_10151509115106061_778229225_n.jpg

1 year ago today :(

The claim has still not been settled but last week I finally got an offer from the other party. This is the second offer they have made, it's not a massive payout but I'm just going to accept it and get this bullshit chapter of my life over and done with.

£1700 compensation for injuries, £300 loss of use, £500 excess, £385 medical treatment = £2885 final payout.

Ah well, it could have been much worse!

It's a logical mechanical job, not difficult but scary first time in case it goes wrong. The worst bit is often access. Have a look on Google for some home-brew guides, combine that with the official workshop manual for torque settings etc, and you should be able to manage it :)