The Car Thread

MadManMike

Cheap drills are a massive no no unless they are corded, you need to spend £100 minimum to get anything remotely close to acceptable

Oh god yeah, don't buy cordless. I wouldn't even buy top brand cordless stuff though, universally shite compared to something with wires.

Mike, I have a plethora of tools/things that could be of use to you if you need it. I'm in Bristol too. Dremel, plusgas, drill, drill bits, easyouts etc. Let me know if you need to borrow anything.

Cheers mate, all sorted for now but I might take you up on that when I get stuck again :D

Here's the new headlights, not even on full beam and they're great:

10898050_10155023101760587_4920500511730

I'm working on some "before and after" shots, as I know everyone loves them so much.

Hopefully a before and after photo that has a slightly noticeable difference... :P I have sprayed my previously very tired looking OEM exhaust as it was corroded in places and looked pretty untidy, I left the tip as I like it being silver. The tip was always a bit grim looking though so I spent some time this morning on the bench polisher and got it looking nearly as shiny as my Dansk exhaust :) Not looking forward to refitting it, the car won't be the same without its growl

60674306-F70A-4435-9A49-1387A3D669D7_zps

F477B09B-C7BA-4A7C-9A8B-8E481CBAD4E4_zps

A8A3A8AC-8008-438D-9D19-BB5D468CF20E_zps

• Like 1

My Makita was a smidge over £200 with 2 batteries a few years back and even that is substandard unless used for purely hobby use (their quality has diminished substantially in the last 10 years). Not all cheap power tools are bad though, my Sealey 24V impact gun always impresses me and the Aldi range of corded power tools have always been superb especially when you consider they basically give them away along with a 5 year warranty... all of mine are still going after lots of abuse :)

My old man bought a makita cordless drill 12 years ago now, it's never been serviced, all the battery's still hold a full charge, and it'll still drill through pretty much anything providing the bits are decent. Our lass bought me a new makita fort birthday, and it's spot on as well. Can't fault them for quality

Like I said, about 10 years ago they made great stuff but every Makita product I've had since has had issues;

NIMH cordless drill-2xgearboxes,a dead battery, 1 switch and a dead motor

Cordless circular saw-2x motors

Corded SDS drill-selector shaft wore through within a year of hardly any use

Table saw-armature broke, angle grinder-on second replacement after gear failures

Lithium cordless-1 battery died within 6 months, forward reverse switch faulty.

My 9" grinder is still going beautifully though and some parts were replaced with no quibbles under warranty so credit where it is due...

Right is it illegal to drive a car with no dashboard in it. I will be wanting to drive the car home saturday about a 3 mile journey.

With it being caged and only 1 seat i know theres a gd chance if im seen by police i will no dout get pulled over. Car still needs a bit of work and dash is getting flocked to tidy it up a bit so dont want the hastle of having to put it back in.

On the bright side my seat and rails will be here tomorrow cant fault gsm ordered at the weekend and was expecting to wait around 2 weeks.

Also heated from windows anyone had a company make 1 up for there car?

Cliosport has just made my night. Posted a pic of my gasket for my exhaust the other day as it was looking a bit worn and squashed.

16011151279_42a8fed940_b.jpg

Then just got this reply on my thread,

Hi Dan, I sent you spare Cat gasket kit as I saw yours was a bit worn out. I would never use it so its yours.

I dealt with him aggggggggges ago so he must have my address. What a f**king hero!!

• Like 1

I also highly rate old makita stuff. I've had 2 angle grinders in 7 years, the first one died after about 3 years when it jammed on something and stripped the teeth on its gears, and it's replacement is still living, even though it has jumped onto my face/chin today and sent me to A&E but I forgive him. I've very lucky it wasn't any higher up my face.

Watch out kids!

Bit of a general post but anyone know anything about street suspension?

Roads in Edinburgh/Scotland are shite and only seem to be getting worse.

What can I change from the stock suspension to soften the bumps and pothole but still allow the car to corner/handle well? How much would it cost in parts?

I suspect moving down to a 17" and a tyre with a taller sidewall will help too? If you can do that?

Edited by AndrewEH1

I wouldn't trust that to do anything other than breakdown! Also not the small print that it was previously sold for 25 quid ;)

My dad always told me that I wasn't allowed to use his cordless screwdriver (a really f**king expensive one 25 years ago) until I had learned to use a normal screwdriver properly. Unless you're putting in a lot of screws it's just lazy to use an electric driver and to this day I have never owned one or a drill with a screwdriver adaptor/setting :)