The Car Thread

MadManMike

The trouble with letting your battery go flat so often is it'll ruin it pretty rapidly therefore it is hard to say whether it'll be good enough for your journey. 30mins driving should provide enough charge on a non duff battery to crank over a warm engine, otherwise a cheeky bump start may be necessary! It's not good for your alternator to keep making it try and charge up a flat battery, try and find the cause of the discharging or disconnect the battery as already recomended

The battery isn't completely flat, all dash lights come on and the engine tries to turn over so it can't be that flat. I'm going to bring my housemate to the petrol station here, so I can leave it running without someone jumping in my car and driving off, I don't trust Swansea. Then drive the hour or so to Cardiff, where I'll leave the battery terminal disconnected as you say to stop the slow drain.

I'll as my neighbour if I can take his jump leads to Cardiff for tonight if it hasn't charged enough, I'll have to buy him some beers :cheers:

What's the best way to remove tar off my paint ? Tried autoglym tar remover didn't really work

Any suggestions ?

WD40, tends to fix most things without ruining them.

Otherwise some kind of solvent cleaner :)

18s look good on E46s as long as they are lowered a bit, look at the front arch gap! Tyre wise, depends if you want a long lasting motorway mile muncher or a grippy tyre for spirited road driving? Give us an idea of your driving style

Not ordered a slimline fan yet as I realised I had a twin fan setup from my/Georges old Toledo, I think it'll tuck in there nicely :)

Its an xi so its taller than the standard and I have no plans on lowering it as I use it in the winter too.

About the tyre I just want something that will let me corner at decent speeds but I wont have to change it every year. Anyone have experience with P zero rosso's?

I currently have noname all seasons and I havent had any problems so far, I just want new rims to change the look and summer tyres to try to get rid of some of the road noise.

Anyone have experience with P zero rosso's?

Had the Rossos on my LCR when I picked it up in December and used them for the TF track day. Pretty impressed with them. They don't promise anything special but I've found them to be a really decent option for general use. Plenty capable enough for a little bit of fun on occasion without going for anything more dedicated (Y)

• Like 1

Yeah, it is a heavy car to be honest, all the RWD gubbins, subframes, wishbones etc. What's a standard mini weigh?
Wikipedia tells me 650kg for an early one prob nearer 700-750 for the later ones.

got some seats today, much more side support.

drivers side bolster was knackered, so stripped both seats down, and fitted the one from the passenger seat:

post-36867-0-52736500-1433620699_thumb.j

post-36867-0-27686700-1433620716_thumb.j

Shes in (needs a clean!):

post-36867-0-62036700-1433620732_thumb.j

took it for a spin, lobbed it around the first corner, heard a massive bang :

post-36867-0-38839700-1433620747_thumb.j

Apparently bungie straps arn't great at holding sub's in, so i added more :P

post-36867-0-07600600-1433620777_thumb.j

and a scenic shot of the drive home:

post-36867-0-23437400-1433620760_thumb.j

Yeah it's more for the space to work - peering through the windows there are 3 ramps in there, though I'm not sure on tools themselves. That said, I'd be surprised if they didn't have at least a decent socket set and a few other odds and sods that will be plenty for most little jobs.

I'm fairly sure it's still up and running and they just haven't updated the poster. Will find out shortly I suppose, but worst case I'm in the same position I am now, best case my life just got a little easier :)

Any ideas how restrictive it would be to friends of members? :dance:

Getting your car in to the garage to work on shouldn't be an issue at all.

Getting you/your car onto a military base on the other hand, will be far trickier :(

Paul: What's it like for space under there and how's cooling at present? 10" fans would cover a larger area allowing you to run slimmer fans or to run them at a slower speed whilst retaining the same level of cooling. Alternatively standard depth fans would give better cooling than at present if it's ever an issue or if you plan on using it in anger.

Are you still looking at dropping in a 1.8t at some point?