The Car Thread

MadManMike

On the subject of cooling, I've been thinking my thermostat is sticking open, or is stuck open. Takes an age for my car to get warm and then once it is up to temperature it likes to cool down too. 

Its having a full service one night this evening so I've ordered a replacement. May even stick my other radiator in as the current one has lost most of its fins between the channels. 

Might be the elastic band holding the bumper on? Car looks good Dann

I'm fed up with the lack of decent tyre availability for my Porsche (14-75-185), it limits me to budgets that don't grip much. I'm trying to find some 15" steels in 4x108 fitment, probably french ones as they seem to have the same (ish) offset on stock wheels and wheel spacers are cheaper and available in far more widths (I can just use spigot rings to take my Porsche centre bore up to french size). 

I'm also pondering on making some rear wheel arches, they won't actually widen the car body, just fill out the lower parts of the car where the bottom tucks in. I'm thinking along the lines of slimmed down 924 Carrera GT arches:

39_628.jpg

I don't want to cut my car about for the full on wide body look like that, but I do like the look of how the arches bulk the car out a bit so If i made them super thin at the top and then flare out at the bottom like the GTs then I think that could look quite cool... 

Mike - sounds like air lock, drain it off, fill slowly, squeeze lower hose from rad to block a few times while doing it with rad cap off. Should gurgle a bit. Then run car with heater on full beans with rad cap off for a bit, then fit rad cap once it's warm, run until radiator gets hot (thermostat open). Allow to cool, remove rad cap, top up, then should be good to go. At the moment the temp sender will be reading the temp of the housing (which is heated by the engine rather than the coolant) hence it reading high. Fan switch is in a different place (top of thermostat housing) so that will still work fairly normally.

Sam - Chuck your stat in a cup of boiling water to see how it works?

Cheers Ad. I've booked it in to a mates garage next weekend, they're going to fit the radiator for me and flush the system and re-fill it. They're doing it for £35, which is better than me faffing about in the cold - I think I've reached the age where I'll pay someone to do stuff if the weather is bad :D

Just gotta get her booked in for a new roof now, so I don't have to clean mould off EVERYTHING again. It's amazing how quickly that stuff grows if your car's wet for a week or longer!

Kinda car/angry thread, the guy who bought my white Audi has found a for sale thread which is obviously now over a year old just so he can have a good old whinge about the state of the car and the £1800 he's spent on a new radiator and some associated hoses... You'd think he'd be over it by now and the first 2 weeks of whining at me would have been enough...

Better still, a guy I asked about some radiator hoses for it about 2 years ago has jumped on board telling the buyer what a deep, personal hatred he has for me because I told him £180 for 6x 20 year old hoses from a £500 car was way too expensive.

People make my brain hurt!

Edited by Jolfa

Buys an Audi and expects cheap parts, what a willy.

Youtube is bad. I watched some youtube videos and now I can't shake this terrible idea from my head about putting a T5 engine in a rwd Volvo and then driving it all the way to Gatebil to celebrate in style. Just give me 5 years -_-

I've really laboured the point that he had every opportunity to inspect and test the car, and we even spent an hour chatting looking round the car with the bonnet open (where most of his complaints are based) and told him if he was that unhappy he could have recouped the vast majority of his money from just the engine.

My next reply if he carries on will be a picture of me on a nice beach expressing any current or future f**ks I won't be giving (Y)

• Like 1

Nice one Sam. Forgive me if I've missed it, but are you just refreshing a standard engine with new parts, or are you building it up with uprated components/similar?

I'm slowly gathering parts for mine. I don't really know exactly what I'll be up to for the next 6 months at the mo but should find out in a fortnight, so until then I'll just continue to stockpile bits in the garage :lol:

9 hours ago, Luke Rainbird said:

Nice one Sam. Forgive me if I've missed it, but are you just refreshing a standard engine with new parts, or are you building it up with uprated components/similar?

I'm slowly gathering parts for mine. I don't really know exactly what I'll be up to for the next 6 months at the mo but should find out in a fortnight, so until then I'll just continue to stockpile bits in the garage :lol:

Cheers Luke. Yeah this has merely been a bottom end refresh as it was burning oil and had a very faint knock. The head is still in pieces however, and with the standard bottom ends being as good as they are improvements can be made up top, of which I'm still debating. I'm not after a bhp monster just yet, I should be grabbing a B18c6 out of an Integra next month which is being rebuilt fully with aftermarket parts. The purpose of this engine is to give it a little more poke in the mean time. 

• Like 1