The Car Thread

MadManMike

4 hours ago, george_seamons said:

Shut up and get a hair cut :P

Just going from personal experience. I have never ever seen a car that has 0% finance on it on a £5k car. Be interesting to see if there were some though! Maybe I've just been looking in the wrong places though...

0% APR from Santander, Black Horse and Hitachi Capital is subsidised at £67-71 per £1000 borrowed. 

So worst case scenario it's going to cost the dealer £355 to sell a £5000 car at 0% APR. 

Typically there is a 5% volume bonus for selling finance, so you get 5% of the balance. So the true cost to the dealer is actually £105...

In a worst case scenario, I'm sure everyone can negotiate that. 

My company car is a 1.4 TSI Golf (Only 6 months old, but I assume the engines haven't changed much?)

In "Normal" mode I get about 45mpg, I haven't tried "Eco" mode but I'd imagine that would be more like 50mpg. "Sport" mode I don't use often enough to judge mpg, but it doesn't drop much. Mine is the GT 150bhp model, so pretty nippy considering it's a 1.4.

Pretty weird, having 7 gears and paddle shift, I tend to just let the DSG box do it's thing rather than using the paddles.

21 hours ago, Pashley26 said:

cost to the dealer is actually £105...

And there's the problem.

Why would a dealer set something up for a customer that will LOSE THEM MONEY on a £5k sale? Its not exactly sale of the century, I assume a £5k car is the kinda thing sold with very little margin, so the dealer isn't going to bend over backwards to help you.

...my initial point still stands.

So I've had my license for 3 years in total, my first insurance was £1,400. It then dropped down to about £900, then most recently down to £489 on the Eunos.

My renewal came through at £429 but I thought I'd have a shop around, despite not getting close to Brentacre's price last year.

Just took a call from Greenlight, £317 including all mods declared.

Winner.

Heading to Cadwell on the 30th - should be interesting!  Judging from how f**king inept I was at driving the Munter around Anglesey on the 'wet' tyres we've got there's a pretty good chance I'll be taking a closer look at some of the armco barriers there...

What are your 'wet' tyres?

Speaking of tyres, I'm currently using Yokohama Advan Sport V105s. Did a little bit of 'market research' and they seem to be one of the best all-rounders. I'm liking them but truth be told I haven't done any enthusiastic driving due to my car still being full Grandad Spec.

Not really too sure what they are, they're some random road ones Adam picked up.  They seem to have the softest sidewalls in history (they were noticeably flexy by hand) so to me at least they have pretty much no feel at all.  Adam has way more experience than me with driving that car so he was able to deal with it all fine, but because I'm still a noob I didn't feel like I could push at all because I had no idea what the car was up to.  The last time I drove the Munter with road tyres on was on some 15" wheels with some stiffer/lower profile tyres (that are now on my MX5) and they felt like they gave me a lot more feedback, so in turn I could give it a bit more beans and get used to what the car was up to.

Hopefully it'll be dry and we can throw the slicks on and it'll be fun and games again.  Alternatively, I can just grow a pair and learn to drive properly with those marshmallows bolted on :P

7 hours ago, george_seamons said:

And there's the problem.

Why would a dealer set something up for a customer that will LOSE THEM MONEY on a £5k sale? Its not exactly sale of the century, I assume a £5k car is the kinda thing sold with very little margin, so the dealer isn't going to bend over backwards to help you.

...my initial point still stands.

Your point would stand, assuming the dealer wasn't making any profit and was selling the car at cost.

Most <12K used car sites work around £1000 profit per unit. 

4 hours ago, MadManMike said:

Looks mint m8, how much?

4K M9.

-

Got offered 13K for my Abarth today by one of our traders, he's got a buyer looking for a red Competizione. 

I phoned him up to get a bid on an Elise we just took on against an MX5, and just asked him if he had anything nice. Got chatting about a few things and he said "you haven't by any chance got any Abarths coming in? I've got a customer who wants a red Competizione with less than 20K on it" so I mentioned mine and sent him some photo's over. 

He's a couple of nice cars in at the moment, so I'm going to pop over on Sunday and see what I like the look of. I've told him to keep his eyes peeled for an M3 for me. 

Got the Pop home, woo.

12466103_1698190310396143_19020315208895

Fired straight up, put the spare wheel on it. Took it for a drive. 

Then Prawn stopped off on his way home and had a look without telling me, he thinks it's sad.