The Car Thread

MadManMike

11 minutes ago, Danny said:

Why's your wiring in such a state? Isn't it just a standard loom?

When I got it all in and sorted it wouldnt start on the ECU Id bought for it. Im using an older alternator with a round plug as against an oval 3 pin, so I had to rework that,
One of my terminals wasnt just on correctly and it wasnt completing the ALT SP circuit and was knocking the injectors off. Anyway, still didnt run it. Plugged an old ECU in I had with the worlds worst jumper harness (ECU is OBD1 and car is OBD2A), it ran but wouldnt go past 4k where its had launch control mapped in.  

Messed about with some more bits, got it running half decently but the problem persisted. Tried the other ECU on the off chance it would work. It ran it, well. Limit at 2.5k. 
Ran flash test to see if there were any codes. Got code 7 (Throttle position sensor) and code 14 (Idle air control valve). Unplugged TPS, started car, stopped car. Plugged it back in, started car. Job done. Runs proper, no EML, VTECs. Sweet as you like. 

Was a combination of small issues culminating in one big one. Wasted two days doing ecu pin outs to make the old ECU work, only for the new one to be perfectly fine haha. 

Hours worked on car over the weekend : 10

Suspension bushes replaced: 0

f**king car. managed to remove all the old bushes. the bolts that hold the hub to the lower arm are all seized, so i ended up cutting them. (the rear bolt is a eccentric bolt to control the rear toe)

the outer sleeve on the front bush's was so rusted it couldnt be re-used.

All the inner sleeves on the new bushes are too big to properly fit the new bushes.

Piece

of

Shit! :(

That sucks :( That on the Toyota? Pretty much everything suffers that way, especially the jap stuff. I was extremely suprised that all my rear control arm bolts came undone without fuss! 

Just booked on for Blyton this Sunday with Hayden as an additional driver. He's a bit down in the dumps with his Civic not running right and wanted to go so I thought it would be a nice gesture to let him have a blast. 

Got the Yokohamas on, they feel great so far after a bit of a blast up round past Dick Hudsons. 

• Like 1

Before:

thumbnail_WP_20161029_001_zpsrfgfwpdz.jp

thumbnail_WP_20161031_001_zpsby86ibki.jp

thumbnail_WP_20161031_002_zpsfeifuvdz.jp

During:

thumbnail_WP_20161031_003_zpseetqshaj.jp

thumbnail_WP_20161031_005_zpszgxfiicw.jp

After:

thumbnail_WP_20161031_012_zps89ziypol.jp

Needs lows, unfortunately there's pretty strict rules around lowering in New Zealand, if you want coilovers it's a full VOSA style test and a plaque riveted to the firewall, and it can't go mega low so -40 springs to follow (Y)

18 hours ago, SamKidney said:

That sucks :( That on the Toyota? Pretty much everything suffers that way, especially the jap stuff. I was extremely suprised that all my rear control arm bolts came undone without fuss! 

Just booked on for Blyton this Sunday with Hayden as an additional driver. He's a bit down in the dumps with his Civic not running right and wanted to go so I thought it would be a nice gesture to let him have a blast. 

Got the Yokohamas on, they feel great so far after a bit of a blast up round past Dick Hudsons. 

Spotted you ;) 

• Like 1

Found out tonight that I can run my car on vegetable oil very happily as I've got a bosch fuel pump. Oh man. II just got 260 miles from £20 of diesel working out at.  70mpg. Picked up some oil tonight for £4 for 5L working out at 80p per litre meaning I can get 260 miles for £13... Epic 

Fitted Yellow Speed coilies and some more polybushes to green civic tonight. Very quickly becoming very very fun to drive! 

Ordered some more bits for blue Civic yesterday. Adjustable front upper arms, adjustable rear camber arms and adjustable rear toe arms.... 

...which means when they arrive I can reuse the polybushed oem items I remove from it on the green one :D:D

Edited by SamKidney

3 hours ago, dann2707 said:

Found out tonight that I can run my car on vegetable oil very happily as I've got a bosch fuel pump. Oh man. II just got 260 miles from £20 of diesel working out at.  70mpg. Picked up some oil tonight for £4 for 5L working out at 80p per litre meaning I can get 260 miles for £13... Epic 

Are you sure? I know you can with older VW diesels (because I did, and got my oil for free :D) but the injection system changed on newer models meaning it f**ks shit up..

6 hours ago, Jolfa said:

Are you sure? I know you can with older VW diesels (because I did, and got my oil for free :D) but the injection system changed on newer models meaning it f**ks shit up..

Yeah, been looking into it. It's an old vw though, well the engine is old. Mechanical fuel pump etc

Just to echo Luke, be wary when the temp drops Dan. Can give you trouble starting as its not just as refined as diesel and waxes over easier in cooler temps. 

We used to run our old Defender on it at work and that was a b*****d to get running in a morning around this time of year.