The Car Thread

MadManMike

Update 1064 on my rusty piece of shit celica:

Brought new rear arb links (i cut the old ones off as the 4mm allen bit just rounded off) and front bushes for the rear lower arm, so i can re-use the outer sleeve for the poly bushes:

DSCF4106.JPG

The company i brought the poly bushes have finally replied to my email saying:

Hello,
We're going to send you new bushes with correct inner diameter. Please send back old one to us when you receive new ones.

It may be slow, but its progress!

It did have the sills welded which wasn't on the advert, but it wasn't a bad job from the looks of things so it didn't totally put me off. The guy wasn't keen on me taking it for a little drive. I think he would've let me if I pushed for it but overall the asking price just felt a little too high. Possibly looking at what sounds like a less rusty one tomorrow - it's cheaper but that's because the paint is dodgy.

This is the first time I haven't just gone ahead and bought the first car I've seen, ha.

To be honest, I'd probably go for one that has had the sills done - saves you having to do it. That's unless it's very clean and doesn't need them doing soon.

Though it does depend on whether it's done properly, the job mine had to get through the MOT was pretty shit. Ideally I'd like to get both sides done properly and the whole car resprayed, but that's a lot of money.

I think I'm just going to keep her alive and have fun with it, rather than make it pristine.

On 03/11/2016 at 10:30 PM, Tom Booth said:

Literally nobody cares

Lies. 

Yocar looks great make rban car.

Try again thanks to the forum being absolutely shite! Mike your car looks great. 

to make a start on taking the engine out of browsing this week GoingGoing to

f**k itAhhAhh f**k. Stupid f**king forum 

• Like 2

I get that pretty badly too Dan. The forum really dislikes typing with an Android phone, I've even tried a couple of different keyboards and it does it on all of them. Most common issue seems to be that pressing space deletes the world you just wrote, but all sorts of random crap happens occasionally.

In my news, I've got a bit better settled into the unit and finished welding up the battery tray area of the Porsche, although I still need to grind back some welds and throw some temporary paint on it. I'll grab some photos next time I'm down there.

I'm selling my 5 series, and I was planning to buy a cheaper diesel estate cheaper to run around in, but I've been wondering about putting the Scirocco back on the road as a daily driver instead. It would make me rush the Porsche less, as my fun-car itch will be scratched, and it was always a nice compromise of practicality and fun when it used to be my only car. Plus I cycle to work now, so only tend to use my car a couple of times a week anyway. The only downside's that I loose the ability to take more than one friend places with me (well, unless I befriend some midgets). It needs the inner sills welding up, but patching up the Porsche has reminded me that it's not really that big of a deal with the right space and kit, and mechanically all it needs is tyres, fuel lines an exhaust and a little reassembly. The money I would have spent on a cheap estate would easily cover that, and probably with enough left over to buy some half decent suspension to replace the cheap coilovers that are on it at the moment.

• Like 2

Went to Blyton Park today. Was dry in the morning. Excellent. 

Rained non stop after an hour. Got sideways a bit, ended up facing the wrong way once or twice but good fun none the less. Progressively quicker as I learnt the car and track despite the conditions so was going the right way. 

Dried up a bit towards the end of the day and got a good session in, until I cooked the brakes. Car never missed a beat otherwise! 

• Like 3